Working over 70 hours as Driver Helpers

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
“Pursuant to this paragraph” is the wording I think they’re using to avoid paying double time unless they 70 hour rule is implemented,even though I think I remember on more than one of those calls we were told ALL hours 60 were to be paid at double time,slight of hand
Where are the usual resident contractual authorities on this site???

What say you @BigUnionGuy ..... @Mugarolla ....???

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
Where are the usual resident contractual authorities on this site???

What say you @BigUnionGuy ..... @Mugarolla ....???

It's new language that hasn't been tested through the grievance process yet.

Did the NNC think that the only time a driver would work over 60 hours is if the Company switched to a 70 hour week?

Maybe forgetting about a driver coming in on a 6th day and working as a jumper while still remaining on a 60 hour week?

Or did the NNC feel that time and a half was good enough for a driver being a jumper, but if he was actually driving, he needed double time?

I don't know. I wasn't there, and the language is a little ambiguous. The same as who the language is referring to that doesn't have to work unless he has 8 hours available.

I think it should be any hours worked past 60, whether or not they changed to a 70 hour week, be paid a double time.

And any RPCD not being forced to come in unless he has at least 8 hours available.

But the contractual language does not necessarily support either one of these two.

Time to get a clarification on the language.

Whither

Scofflaw
70 hours in pkg.... is no way comparable to 70 hrs in feeders.

They aren't in the game because the union WANTS it that way. Don't pretend differently.

In the exemplary words of Dave Beck, general president from 1952-7 and proud scab during the 1919 Seattle general strike: "Why should truck drivers and bottle washers be allowed to make decisions affecting [Teamster] policy? No corporation would allow it."

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
It's new language that hasn't been tested through the grievance process yet.

Did the NNC think that the only time a driver would work over 60 hours is if the Company switched to a 70 hour week?

Maybe forgetting about a driver coming in on a 6th day and working as a jumper while still remaining on a 60 hour week?

Or did the NNC feel that time and a half was good enough for a driver being a jumper, but if he was actually driving, he needed double time?

I don't know. I wasn't there, and the language is a little ambiguous. The same as who the language is referring to that doesn't have to work unless he has 8 hours available.

I think it should be any hours worked past 60, whether or not they changed to a 70 hour week, be paid a double time.

And any RPCD not being forced to come in unless he has at least 8 hours available.

But the contractual language does not necessarily support either one of these two.

Time to get a clarification on the language.
Perhaps when it gets to arbitration we can have the same guy hear the case that gave us that 9.5 decision earlier this year???

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
Are there arbitrators that are known to be Company friendly and others who are Union friendly?

Case in point.

There was a particular arbitrator that usually ruled in favor of the Union. Seemed Union friendly.

Due to that, we specifically picked him for an arbitration case.

Well, he ruled in favor of the Company. We lost.

no_map_needed

Knowledge is key, Experience is power.
If you went 14 hours on Sat then they are dipping into your 34 hour reset and have to adjust your start-time for Mon. If this is happening call your BA immediately.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

If you went 14 hours on Sat then they are dipping into your 34 hour reset and have to adjust your start-time for Mon. If this is happening call your BA immediately.

Let's assume a start a start time of 8 am on Monday. 24 hours on Sunday plus 8 hours on Monday equals 32 hours----add in the hours from Saturday and you should be all set.