Working With Family

Discussion in 'UPS Discussions' started by ohioUPSer, Nov 7, 2018 at 11:07 AM.

1. ohioUPSer

ohioUPSer New Member

I have worked at ups for going on 2 years now at night on the reload. My brother was recently hired to help us as seasonal but was told he could not be a permanent hire unless one of us went to the preload? Is this true? i have heard of family working in the bigger centers but mine is small so i have no idea. Thanks

2. Wally

Wally Hailing from Parts Unknown.

Who does Mom like better?

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  3. 542thruNthru

542thruNthru Well-Known Member

Is one a Supervisor? We have plenty of brothers and father/son working together.

But I don't know if the Union can help with this though it doesn't hurt to ask your BA.

4. KOG72

KOG72 I’m full of it

Don’t ask don’t tell

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  5. ohioUPSer

ohioUPSer New Member

we are both in the union

6. OrionIsDaddy

OrionIsDaddy Member

It's pretty much up to your local HR and sort manager to decide. Buried deep it says technically you are not supposed to work in same building as family.

We have brothers on preload together here and even a part time sup who supervises her mom's belt during their shift. Again, all up to your building management.

7. CentralSup

CentralSup Member

At my building, as long as one family member isn't in management supervising the other family member, it is fair. We have several brothers that are working same shifts on preload and local sort. Even have a PT sup on the local whose two brothers work preload.

8. Same here where we are. No management. Only hourlies.
    We have multiple brothers who are drivers.

9. Brown287

Brown287 Im not the Mail Man!

Look as far as I’m concerned if this company is now considered “Felon Friendly” then we sure the hell better be brother friendly.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  10. Jackburton

Jackburton Gone Fish'n

Our building has a mom, two siblings and one of their kids, so three generations of family members.

11. DOK

DOK Well-Known Member

We have a supervisor directly managing 2 family members, I guess it’s different everywhere.
    And yes the family members do seem to get away with more or their mistakes are looked the other way. Yes, I am writing down each occurrence in my little book to bring out one day if needed.

12. rod

rod retired and happy

As with everything else at UPS---each center makes up their own rules depending on what they feel is best for them. At my old center right now (and its a small one) there is a father, his son and 2 cousins all driving.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  13. gman042

gman042 Been around the block a few times

Let’s see
    I’ve had 3 of my sons
    My wife
    Daughter in law
    Son in law
    All work in the same building
    Times are changing
    UPS is finding help wherever they can get it these days

14. rod

rod retired and happy

Gee I remember when UPS was a great company and you didn't have to worry about your sleeze bag relatives working along side you. :rolleyes:

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  15. barnyard

barnyard KTM rider Staff Member

We have a mom and 2 sons working our preload and for a while, 2 other brothers working the preload together.

16. burrheadd

burrheadd Esquire

Any of them named Darrell

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  17. barnyard

barnyard KTM rider Staff Member

the other brother

18. ohioUPSer