Wounded FedEx Driver Kills Armed Robber During Shootout in Philadelphia

El Correcto

god is dead
Are you asking if I can recreate that exact scenario? Of course I can't but anyone with an ounce of common sense would agree that if he tried to pull out his gun to shoot either or both of the perps WHO ALREADY HAD THEIR GUNS DRAWN he would have been dead and tossed out the door without getting a single shot off.

People say that had Colorado allowed CCW that the shootout at the movie theater could have either been greatly diminished or completely avoided. No way. Try to imagine getting a clean shot in the chaotic scene that ensued after the shooting began.
The robber already had his gun drawn.

The good thing about armed felons is it’s hard to go to gun ranges to practice. If the Chicago death to injury ratio has proved anything it’s that these hoodlums can’t shoot for :censored2:.

That FedEx guy drew on the perp got off some fatal hits and survived.

Packmule

You are exactly right; however, I do know that had Frank been packing and tried to secure his freedom he would have been dead and tossed out the door before getting off the first shot.
You don’t know that either. Those two were a little distracted by cops and traffic. Might have been very easy to get the drop on them. You’d have to have actually been there to know for sure.

El Correcto

god is dead
We transport thousands of dollars in merchandise, it's pretty surprising that these stories haven't been more common. Better to let would be thieves think we might be packing than let them know we're sitting ducks. And where's the training on what to do in case of armed robbery? Where's the safety committee on this? I already know how not to twist my ankle on a rock.
The training is to not look at the criminal’s face and comply completely with them. Seriously.

Air Recovery

Fair enough.

Would you really feel comfortable working a job where you felt the need to carry a weapon in order to make it home safely to your wife, son and daughter?

I never said I feel the need to. But if it was an option to, I would. It's better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it.

I feel safe now - I'm fortunate to work in an area where there aren't any stray bullet areas

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I never said I feel the need to. But if it was an option to, I would. It's better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it.

I feel safe now - I'm fortunate to work in an area where there aren't any stray bullet areas

A few months there was a baby sleeping in a crib at her daycare who was hit by a stray bullet from a drive by shooting that had pierced the wall nearby. Should we arm our daycare workers?

Johney

You don't need to be an expert on crime reconstruction to know that two guys holding guns standing on either side of you would have a clear advantage if you made the ill fated decision to pull your weapon to try to gain your freedom.
Yea because they were never looking out the doors at the cops chasing them were they? For Christ sake they were shooting at the cops yet you seem to think all their attention was on Frank?

Air Recovery

A few months there was a baby sleeping in a crib at her daycare who was hit by a stray bullet from a drive by shooting that had pierced the wall nearby. Should we arm our daycare workers?

The whole point of stray bullets is that they hit non combatants/innocents. So no, I'm not advocating arming our daycare workers. You're acting like a bad lawyer right now - jumping to conclusions and asking "hard" questions based off far fetched conclusions. When you have something relevant and on topic to say to me I will engage in a meaningful conversation.

sandwich

The resident gearhead
Completely different scenario and, no, neither of them were the first.
Different Scenario or not. Doesn’t change the scoreboard.

I can’t think of any other time a delivery driver carried a firearm and it saved his life.

but there have been multiple instances within the last 2 years of unarmed delivery drivers being shot while working.

rod

Retired 22 years
The robber already had his gun drawn.

The good thing about armed felons is it’s hard to go to gun ranges to practice. If the Chicago death to injury ratio has proved anything it’s that these hoodlums can’t shoot for :censored2:.

That FedEx guy drew on the perp got off some fatal hits and survived.
That's that hold the pistol sideways thug crap they all use because someone told them its cool.

Overpaid Union Thug

You don't need to be an expert on crime reconstruction to know that two guys holding guns standing on either side of you would have a clear advantage if you made the ill fated decision to pull your weapon to try to gain your freedom.
Common sense says that having a gun in that situation improves your odds more than having no gun.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Common sense says that having a gun in that situation improves your odds more than having no gun.

I disagree-----having a gun in that particular situation could have made things infinitely worse.

Keep in mind that our driver was not killed by the perps. The last thing either of them wanted to do was add a murder charge to the armed robbery and kidnapping charges that they were already facing.

Overpaid Union Thug

I disagree-----having a gun in that particular situation could have made things infinitely worse.

Keep in mind that our driver was not killed by the perps. The last thing either of them wanted to do was add a murder charge to the armed robbery and kidnapping charges that they were already facing.

They clearly didn’t care about murder when they open fired in the jewelry store. And not having a gun because it could make things worse does not negate the fact that it could’ve given him a fighting chance. It’s typically smarter to have and not need instead of needing and not having.