Wrongful Termination and Retaliation

Johney

On July 16, 2018 I was Terminated for have my wireless earphones in, while delivering my residential stops. I was seen by my Center Manger and On-Road Sup, They we’re following behind me for 45min with Binoculars, so I filed for wrongful termination, all this happen while I’m going through my 30day probation to become a Cover Driver. They held a meeting with my Center Manger, Stewards and BA about me. My Center Manger wants to go ahead an fire me because he think I don’t get it, His exact words “I don’t get it”.

Ps I’ve been driving for 2years untrained for peak season and sometime during the regular season “Still untrained because they claim they don’t have time but they want me to drive”

Another time before my 30day probation for Cover Driving, my Center Manger told me multiple times, how would You feel if You have to go home and tell your wife you don’t have a job anymore, I feel like it wasn’t right for him to Threaten me with my job multiple times when I was never trained

Can someone help me or tell me if I have a case or not

One ear I had it in one ear
My bad I assumed according to your post.

Rack em

Made the Podium
This is very possible I usually only see them team up when they’re after someone. Now maybe it’s a new thing or different in areas but I always knew when 2 of them were together watching it was for a witness. No witness no case if stories are different. I’ve seen cases immediately thrown out at state panels when it was one persons word against another
What's to stop them from making up something that didn't actually happen? Just because there are 2 sups watching you doesn't mean that what they say happened is the truth.

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
Was a mention that they’d previously seen you covering both ears while delivering part of that conversation?

Seen plenty of guys wear Bluetooth earpieces all day. But headphones on both ears? Come on, man.

He said wireless earphones. That's kind of the definition of Bluetooth earpieces. Come on, man.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
I have bluetooth earbuds on me all day long listening to music, podcasts, audiobooks or chatting on the phone while working (hands free) and no one has ever said a word to me. Granted while I'm driving I keep one of the earbuds out to listen for horns, sirens, etc for safety, but while I'm sorting in the back or doing a big dock delivery I'll have both in. Sups that have ridden with me have never said a word about it.
Common sense tells you that you shouldn't be driving with both ears covered though for safety.

That being said, if you haven't made seniority and they want to fire you, there's virtually nothing you can do about it.

Dracula

I’m just a air driver becoming a cover driver, I’ve seen air drivers become cover drivers at my Center after they have been in a car accident in the ups truck and were still able to pass?!?!

Here, I believe, is where you are missing your "teachable moment", if you want to make it in the box barn. Stop comparing yourself to other people. That is a losing game, and will make you a miserable person if you can't see past it.

Yeah, it sucks and it isn't right, but different people get treated different ways. And in most cases, the people getting favors tend to be sniveling little weasels.

That's not unique to UPS, by the way.

Sounds like you don't understand that yet. That's okay, a lot of us learned that lesson at an early age, working here.

And speaking of lessons, try this one: instead of responding to every person who takes a shot at you here, try to remember that this is an internet bulletin board. And so, it is populated with a lot of keyboard, bad-asses. Try to remember that.

It is why, as a feeder driver, I do my best to stay in the feeder topic sections here. That's where I belong. And that works most of the time, but, yeah, here I am.

I'm no savant and I'm no better than anyone else that pays their union dues, but I've worked here for 35 years in just about every job they hang in front of us. I've been fired 3 times and have a nice, heavy manila folder full of warning letters. My grievance folder is ten times the size of that.

And guess what? I'm no different than a whole bunch of people you work with. Well, I guess that is changing, but still...

My point is this: as a person with a LOT of experience at this company, I've got some pretty simple advice for you.

First of all, you're in the system. If you don't get your driving job back, take a deep breath, tell your wife the dream is delayed a year and learn your lesson.

Second, that lesson is simple. Do whatever it takes to get your 30 days to seniority. IT'S 30 DAYS!

All of the things you see on here don't apply during your probation period. That means skip your lunch, shut your mouth, run your ass off and don't be an idiot and worry about some stupid earbuds, dude. Do it with the knowledge that once you gain seniority, you'll never have to it again. And then, you make it your business to do things the right way. Which leads me to the last thing...

Finally, IF you ever make seniority, save every piece of instruction they give you and--this is important--follow it, EVERY SINGLE WORKING DAY.

One of the quickest lessons you'll learn at this company, is that you will make a lot more money by following directions. Remember the training. It's your strongest defense from getting fired. Do it everyday. I can't stress that enough. And on the flip side, get a contract book, and learn your rights. Do the job right, but don't get pushed around.

No matter what happens, do the job the way you were trained. It won't always make your day easy or get you off at the time you thought you would, but it will will protect you, your job, and your wife, I guess?

I won't lie to you, and say being a contract warrior and doing everything by the book will keep you from their crosshairs, or get written up from time to time, and maybe even the odd suspension here or there, but it will ultimately save your job.

And honestly, they will get tired of dealing with you, because they know you do things the right way, and know you're not going to change the way you do the job.

Yeah, they're dim and slow. So it might take a few weeks for the lesson to sink in for them, but it will, believe me.

That's how it's gone for me, anyway. I may make some mistakes from time to time, but they're honest mistakes, and not screw-ups from taking shortcuts.

Take it for what it's worth.

Last edited:

Dracula

No. Bluetooth earpieces cover a single ear. Which is why so many drivers use them. They are different from stereo Bluetooth headphones. Come on, man.

I think Amazon screwed you. My Bluetooth earbuds come with two pieces. COME ON, MAN!

PackageCarBeast

Here, I believe, is where you are missing your "teachable moment", if you want to make it in the box barn. Stop comparing yourself to other people. That is a losing game, and will make you a miserable person if you can't see past it.

Yeah, it sucks and it isn't right, but different people get treated different ways. And in most cases, the people getting favors tend to be sniveling little weasels.

That's not unique to UPS, by the way.

Sounds like you don't understand that yet. That's okay, a lot of us learned that lesson at an early age, working here.

And speaking of lessons, try this one: instead of responding to every person who takes a shot at you here, try to remember that this is an internet bulletin board. And so, it is populated with a lot of keyboard, bad-asses. Try to remember that.

It is why, as a feeder driver, I do my best to stay in the feeder topic sections here. That's where I belong. And that works most of the time, but, yeah, here I am.

I'm no savant and I'm no better than anyone else that pays their union dues, but I've worked here for 35 years in just about every job they hang in front of us. I've been fired 3 times and have a nice, heavy manila folder full of warning letters. My grievance folder is ten times the size of that.

And guess what? I'm no different than a whole bunch of people you work with. Well, I guess that is changing, but still...

My point is this: as a person with a LOT of experience at this company, I've got some pretty simple advice for you.

First of all, you're in the system. If you don't get your driving job back, take a deep breath, tell your wife the dream is delayed a year and learn your lesson.

Second, that lesson is simple. Do whatever it takes to get your 30 days to seniority. IT'S 30 DAYS!

All of the things you see on here don't apply during your probation period. That means skip your lunch, shut your mouth, run your ass off and don't be an idiot and worry about some stupid earbuds, dude. Do it with the knowledge that once you gain seniority, you'll never have to it again. And then, you make it your business to do things the right way. Which leads me to the last thing...

Finally, IF you ever make seniority, save every piece of instruction they give you and--this is important--follow it, EVERY SINGLE WORKING DAY.

One of the quickest lessons you'll learn at this company, is that you will make a lot more money by following directions. Remember the training. It's your strongest defense from getting fired. Do it everyday. I can't stress that enough. And on the flip side, get a contract book, and learn your rights. Do the job right, but don't get pushed around.

No matter what happens, do the job the way you were trained. It won't always make your day easy or get you off at the time you thought you would, but it will will protect you, your job, and your wife, I guess?

I won't lie to you, and say being a contract warrior and doing everything by the book will keep you from their crosshairs, or get written up from time to time, and maybe even the odd suspension here or there, but it will ultimately save your job.

And honestly, they will get tired of dealing with you, because they know you do things the right way, and know you're not going to change the way you do the job.

Yeah, they're dim and slow. So it might take a few weeks for the lesson to sink in for them, but it will, believe me.

That's how it's gone for me, anyway. I may make some mistakes from time to time, but they're honest mistakes, and not screw-ups from taking shortcuts.

Take it for what it's worth.
Thank you I really appreciate you talking to me and explaining and I will take everything you said to consideration and do what I have to do to pass

Heavy Package

so I filed for wrongful termination, all this happen while I’m going through my 30day probation to become a Cover Driver.

I would not count on getting your driving job back. 30-day period, qualifying, with 2 eye witnesses, and it appears that you can not deny that both ears were covered.

Just some honest advice-At the hearing I would show remorse and ask for another chance. Own up to it. Best case, you are DQ'd and can reapply after a certain time and go back to your inside job where you still build on your pension (PT) and seniority and maintain your benefits. Worst case is you are gone.

If you maintain your employment with UPS, know that it is their rules and their company. You have to play the game, do your job, punch out and go home. Rinse and repeat until retirement.

Either way, start looking for new work ASAP as this is a tough one and we all know PT pay sucks.