Wrongful Termination and Retaliation

Discussion in 'UPS Discussions' started by Stone1994, Jul 20, 2018.

1. PackageCarBeast

PackageCarBeast New Member

On July 16, 2018 I was Terminated for have my wireless earphones in, while delivering my residential stops. I was seen by my Center Manger and On-Road Sup, They we’re following behind me for 45min with Binoculars, so I filed for wrongful termination, all this happen while I’m going through my 30day probation to become a Cover Driver. They held a meeting with my Center Manger, Stewards and BA about me. My Center Manger wants to go ahead an fire me because he think I don’t get it, His exact words “I don’t get it”.

Ps I’ve been driving for 2years untrained for peak season and sometime during the regular season “Still untrained because they claim they don’t have time but they want me to drive”

Another time before my 30day probation for Cover Driving, my Center Manger told me multiple times, how would You feel if You have to go home and tell your wife you don’t have a job anymore, I feel like it wasn’t right for him to Threaten me with my job multiple times when I was never trained

Can someone help me or tell me if I have a case or not

2. sandwich

sandwich The resident gearhead

I know for a fact they told you at least 3 times before to keep them out.

3. dogs.bite.me

dogs.bite.me Active Member

Why not just buy a BT speaker? There is only so much the union can do with stupidity. Eventually it catches up and nothing can be done.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  4. john chesney

john chesney Well-Known Member

I think they will probably end up disqualify you. You probably will go back to your old job. We’ve all done things we’re not supposed to but during your probationary period not good. I have to ask do you get it? You’re going to do things there way like it or not

5. wilberforce15

wilberforce15 Active Member

Did you admit to it?

I fail to see why a firing can stick just because a manager says he saw something, with no corroboration, no evidence, no other witnesses, or an admission. His word is just his word.

6. john chesney

john chesney Well-Known Member

He was seen by on road Sup and center Mgr. They always team up for a firing

• Agree Agree x 9
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  7. Box Ox

Box Ox Well-Known Member

Was a mention that they’d previously seen you covering both ears while delivering part of that conversation?

Seen plenty of guys wear Bluetooth earpieces all day. But headphones on both ears? Come on, man.

8. watdaflock?

watdaflock? Well-Known Member

Apparently not.

9. Johney

Johney Well-Known Member

Not only is it against ups policy I believe it’s illegal in a lot of states. Earphones in both ears while driving a cv.

10. Indecisi0n

Indecisi0n Well-Known Member

Well, how does it feel?

11. trickpony1

trickpony1 Well-Known Member

The OP said there were two witnesses...

12. Withbacon

Withbacon Member

Those old diesel trucks are very loud. I use mine for ear protection.... One of our other drivers delivers to the airport and always has ear protection in.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  13. BigUnionGuy

BigUnionGuy Got the T-Shirt

The new 22.4 jobs.... are a threat to the RPCD's.

14. old levi's

old levi's I use to care... but things have changed

Did you somehow rationalize that because they were residential stops there was a lesser degree of responsibility on your part to operate the vehicle safely?

Residential = kids

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  15. PrimeUPS

PrimeUPS Member

Where's the retaliation in this?
    You're in a 30 day packet, they can DQ you for almost anything but having both ears plugged while you're doing resi's?? You're done bro. That's not wrongful termination. The company put you on probation for a reason, you screwed up. Go back to your old job and try again next year. Learn from your mistakes or you'll never wear brown again.

16. Maple Grove MN Driver

Maple Grove MN Driver Cocaine Mang!

You are done.
    Can't sue

17. HEFFERNAN

HEFFERNAN Huge Member

If you don't have a target on your back, could you get away with 2 ear speakers ? Probably
    If you had a target on your back and were told not to wear them, could you get away with it ? Probably not

They'll surely threaten the termination but will most likely send you back to your old job inside.
    Maybe next time, YOU'LL GET IT

18. silverbullet2893

silverbullet2893 KILL KILL!!

Not sure the law, but I think it might be illegal to have them in at all here

19. HEFFERNAN

HEFFERNAN Huge Member

Distracted Driving: States With Hands Free Phone Laws

No state currently has an outright ban on hands-free cell phone usage while driving. That means if you can connect your device with the Bluetooth technology installed in your car, you can talk with a headset — typically one covering only one ear. There are also exceptions to this law in some areas. For instance, in New York City taxicab drivers cannot use a cellphone at all while working.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  20. silverbullet2893

silverbullet2893 KILL KILL!!

Sweet. Gotcha. Like I said I knew there was SOMETHING just didn’t know what it was. I try my best to not talk on the phone at all while behind the wheel. Although I’m not perfect at it. But I try not to.