Yearly ride along observation with sup

Coldworld

60 months and counting
When I was being trained on a town route back in 71 (the the hottest day of the year) the District Manager (yes back then he was the one who trained me on delivery) ----anyway when he finally let me deliver to a bank all by myself he was watching me through a window. On the way out I stopped for a drink of water. When I got back to the truck his exact words were "sure--I let you go on your own and right away you go to hell on me". Heartless bastards even back then. This is the same person who later on that day had me leave the back door and the bulkhead door open because it was so hot. His words then were "this is a big no-no----do as I say -not as I do." He had me shut it after we lost a couple of packages out of the door going around a residential corner.
Just think the guy probably is in a nursing home or dead by now..

Catatonic

Nine Lives
When I was being trained on a town route back in 71 (the the hottest day of the year) the District Manager (yes back then he was the one who trained me on delivery) ----anyway when he finally let me deliver to a bank all by myself he was watching me through a window. On the way out I stopped for a drink of water. When I got back to the truck his exact words were "sure--I let you go on your own and right away you go to hell on me". Heartless bastards even back then. This is the same person who later on that day had me leave the back door and the bulkhead door open because it was so hot. His words then were "this is a big no-no----do as I say -not as I do." He had me shut it after we lost a couple of packages out of the door going around a residential corner.
So bitter

rod

Retired 22 years
There's prostitutes on my route who would be willing to be your personal toilet for a price...sad part is I'm half joking and then I think not really.

I saw an episode of Howard Stern where he was interviewing prostitutes and one of his questions was how much would they charge him to let him poop on them. Out of the 3 gals one said it wouldn't happen one said $1000 and the last one said $100. Guess which one was the ugliest.

rod

Retired 22 years
At least you didn't get a ride with two of them..One new sup in the jump seat and the old crusty mgr standing in the cab holding on for dear life...I've heard stories about that happening...lol

I had a combination center manager and DM ride along once. It was fun watching them try to pretend to be so smooth getting out of the truck together. Everyone else on my route told me they looked like a couple of clowns.

Last edited:

rod

Retired 22 years
Oh yeah!
My favorite two words!
But your healthcare and pension are better!
Double Standards.

Pension? not sure about that. Health coverage is better now that I'm on Medicare and a good supplemental plan.($109 a month) --meds through the VA.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
i tell them quickly to bring a pee cup as i'm not sharing mine! my route is one of the most rural in the center and they find out i'm NOT kidding lol

I had a Corporate IE guy ride with me to do a time study a few years back. He tells me that he needed to take a whizz and I told him the nearest gas station was five miles down the road. I asked him if I got an allowence for breaking trace to go to a restroom, and he says "no". I pulled down to a cul-de-sac that was under construction with nobody living around and told him to step behind my package car. If thats good enough for me, I figured it was good enough for him. He surprisingly gave me a good time study.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
I would sooner :censored2: myself than take a dump in a DR bag.
Given a choice between hauling a warm turd around in my shorts versus hauling it around in a DR bag, I would definately opt for the bag. To each their own, I guess. I am glad to say that in 27 years of driving I have never been forced to make that choice.

FilingBluesFL

We have this "new" on-road that just came back in the building from "helping" implement Orion.

This dude thinks Orion is God's gift to UPS...

So he's hassling me about numbers one Friday morning, so I say "Not without a steward." So he gets one, then starts busting on me about "numbers" again, and asks me "When are you doing to run scratch?" I says "Never, according to those make believe numbers."

Amazingly enough that next Monday the dude is doing my "Yearly Ride Along." How convenient.

So every time he would open his mouth while the wheels were moving, I'd pull down a side street, 4 ways on, engine off, parking brake on, and I'd just turn and look at him, "Yes, did you say something? What would you like to discuss now that my driving won't be distracted?" He shut up real quick after that happened a couple times just on the way to the area alone.

Followed all the methods. Went through the car before 3pm for misloads as instructed. Serviced Misloads. Took lunch between 3rd and 5th hour. Started out in 1st gear every stop, every time. Used restrooms when I needed to.

Brought that moe fugger back to the building after 9:30pm that night lol

A day or two later had a sit down with the district manager and him where I just made him look like a turd for trying to encourage me to work UNSAFE all day long. Makes them look real stupid when you break out REAL numbers, like how fast cars travel and why you shouldn't pull out in front of them in a slow ass truck that takes literally almost half a minute to get up to 35mph...

Hit 'em hard with REAL numbers, and REAL facts.

Don't let them intimidate you, and just ignore them when they claim you're engaging in "stall tactics."

maroon even said I was engaging in "stall tactics" when I parked 15 feet away from a kid playing with a ball in his driveway to avoid the kids ball from going under the truck or the kid trying to play around the truck. maroon.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
We have this "new" on-road that just came back in the building from "helping" implement Orion.

This dude thinks Orion is God's gift to UPS...

So he's hassling me about numbers one Friday morning, so I say "Not without a steward." So he gets one, then starts busting on me about "numbers" again, and asks me "When are you doing to run scratch?" I says "Never, according to those make believe numbers."

Amazingly enough that next Monday the dude is doing my "Yearly Ride Along." How convenient.

So every time he would open his mouth while the wheels were moving, I'd pull down a side street, 4 ways on, engine off, parking brake on, and I'd just turn and look at him, "Yes, did you say something? What would you like to discuss now that my driving won't be distracted?" He shut up real quick after that happened a couple times just on the way to the area alone.

Followed all the methods. Went through the car before 3pm for misloads as instructed. Serviced Misloads. Took lunch between 3rd and 5th hour. Started out in 1st gear every stop, every time. Used restrooms when I needed to.

Brought that moe fugger back to the building after 9:30pm that night lol

A day or two later had a sit down with the district manager and him where I just made him look like a turd for trying to encourage me to work UNSAFE all day long. Makes them look real stupid when you break out REAL numbers, like how fast cars travel and why you shouldn't pull out in front of them in a slow ass truck that takes literally almost half a minute to get up to 35mph...

Hit 'em hard with REAL numbers, and REAL facts.

Don't let them intimidate you, and just ignore them when they claim you're engaging in "stall tactics."

maroon even said I was engaging in "stall tactics" when I parked 15 feet away from a kid playing with a ball in his driveway to avoid the kids ball from going under the truck or the kid trying to play around the truck. maroon.

The Kool-Aid drinkers are always the easiest ones to break. They never really did the job, so they still believe what they got taught in Management School and they still have lots of stupid ideas about how things "ought" to work out in the real world.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
No matter the season I always drove with the doors open . Only shutting them for a hard rain .
Also I hardly ever turned the heat on .
Didn't have many ride a longs .