You and Peak

Indecisi0n

Exactly! It was hard when I got my first helper. I had a rough time letting go of some of the responsibility of making sure everything happened right and to my standards.

Eventually I was able to let the helper head up driveways without me watching through the window to make sure they were going to the right house and leaving stuff in the right place, however I never was able to give up the control of letting the helper use the helper board except for a handful of signature required packages.

Sometimes stops completed in the helper board didn't come out of my board and in one case there was a signature obtained in the helper board that not only never came out of my board, but it never showed in the system as completed. Because it was an iphone I had them pull up the tracking number the next day and sure enough it never showed being delivered. I went back the next day, had them pull the box out of the recycling bin and sheeted it again.

I went through 4 or 5 helpers last peak. Some were lazy. Some were out of shape. I had two really good ones. One of which quit because he got another job; One quit Christmas Eve day. One guy thought he was captain of the boat and was going to tell me how it was going to be. I blew a u-turn and drove him back to his car and ran the rest of the night with no helper. Another guy got moody every time it rained, slowed down after lunch, etc.
Sorry but I no longer train helpers on how to use the Diad. They make too many errors and we get held responsible. If it's a heavy business route I scan and set the board up for the signature.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
quick and dirty photo shop response:

206xyzc.jpg

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Exactly! It was hard when I got my first helper. I had a rough time letting go of some of the responsibility of making sure everything happened right and to my standards.

Eventually I was able to let the helper head up driveways without me watching through the window to make sure they were going to the right house and leaving stuff in the right place, however I never was able to give up the control of letting the helper use the helper board except for a handful of signature required packages.

Sometimes stops completed in the helper board didn't come out of my board and in one case there was a signature obtained in the helper board that not only never came out of my board, but it never showed in the system as completed. Because it was an iphone I had them pull up the tracking number the next day and sure enough it never showed being delivered. I went back the next day, had them pull the box out of the recycling bin and sheeted it again.

I went through 4 or 5 helpers last peak. Some were lazy. Some were out of shape. I had two really good ones. One of which quit because he got another job; One quit Christmas Eve day. One guy thought he was captain of the boat and was going to tell me how it was going to be. I blew a u-turn and drove him back to his car and ran the rest of the night with no helper. Another guy got moody every time it rained, slowed down after lunch, etc.
Captain Helper?? Lol. I went out as a runner with 4 or 5 different drivers this summer. I've known all of them for years but when I'm in the jumpseat...I know my role and do what I'm told when I'm told to do it.

This thread is about how your route changes during peak. I know some routes have their post office stop pulled off, some have their pickups moved to someone else, some have their areas shrink down considerably....how does your route change for peak?

I haven't been on my current bid route for a peak yet so I can't say for mine for sure. Last peak when I was a cover guy they created a peak route for me of 96% residential stuff for 3 months, a lot of which was out in the woods. I had a helper running for me 10-14 hours a day.

Now that I'm in the city I'm guessing they are just going to have me drop a helper off at a skyscraper with a pile of stuff and a handtruck while I go do another building.
My goal is about 12 hours a day and keep it under a 100 stops.

rod

Retired 22 years
Isn't it just a tad bit early to start talking about peak---after all management don't concern themselves with it until its too late and then they act all surprised.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
Isn't it just a tad bit early to start talking about peak---after all management don't concern themselves with it until its too late and then they act all surprised.
We're smarter than management. If you prefer the other 10 threads going on...all by newbies posting the same thing as each other, then be my guest.

YellowSox

I love when driver complain about "the helper slowing me down." Stating they would rather work by themselves. Fools it's not about speed it's about being able to sit back and let the kid run stuff off. Enjoy the break.
Screw that, just have the helper sort the truck while you deliver. It's too easy and saves time.

Sent using BrownCafe App

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
Peak never ever fails to sneak up on my Center,management is always AMAZED when it happens!
It's almost September and when pressed about what if any preparations for Peak have been made the center manager is VERY evasive and says things like' we are looking at it..............we may have to make some changes......... we'll have to pull together..........yada yada"

youllbefine

Nope our center manager has been talking about it for a month now! He was told to hire people and get the trucks reserved !

Overpaid Union Thug

I've been trying to stick with running routes that are primarily rural and are rarely in the lineup outside of peak. They are usually great. Their are only a hand full of problems. One is knowing when and where to utilize the helper. The other is that some of the bid drivers on the routes the work is normally on can cause problems. It's better to just use a helper all day on a rural route and some of the bid drivers try and cherry pick what comes off or stays on their routes and that screws up the dispatching for the neighboring peak routes. It still beats the hell out of the city routes that are cubed out with 300+ stops. I'd rather stick with a rural/semi rural route. There is more time between stops and the helper and I can both shut our doors and crank up the heat. And during our lengthy windshield time I usually remind the helper about how they lucked out by being assigned as my helper and that their counterparts are probably reconsidering wether or not what they are doing is worth $8.50/hr. I know that using a helper on such a route is not really practical unless we are in neighborhoods but UPS makes me use one. I just try and doctor the load up while they are delivering. That's really all I can do. :teethy: