You tell em Donald

vantexan

It seems like that is your solution.
I said multiple times now we need to make cuts to the three biggest expenditures we have. Are you willing to accept cuts to the military or not?
We've already downsized the military. Which by the way is a wonderful program for employing the poor. Want to turn them all out on the street because you don't believe in having a military?

bbsam

Staff member
We have a lot more debt than 480 billion. If we are to prevent a financial meltdown we'll need to make hard choices. And corporate taxes are the highest in the developed world. There's a reason trillions are parked overseas. JFK said, I've said before, that lowering taxes increases economic activity. And the resulting activity increases gov't revenue. Raising taxes stifles activity. We've seen plenty of that and have the debt to prove it.
No. That the yearly debt approximately $600,000,000,000. Try to have the facts before you post.

They've been trying that cutting taxes to increase activity thing for years and still a $600,000,000,000. Might wanna try something new.

It will be fine

We have a lot more debt than 480 billion. If we are to prevent a financial meltdown we'll need to make hard choices. And corporate taxes are the highest in the developed world. There's a reason trillions are parked overseas. JFK said, I've said before, that lowering taxes increases economic activity. And the resulting activity increases gov't revenue. Raising taxes stifles activity. We've seen plenty of that and have the debt to prove it.
Kansas is in the middle of a massive trickle down experiment. They cut the corporate tax rate to 0. Their job growth had been lower than the surrounding states. The state budget was gutted. They had to close schools in small towns, that helped destroy those small towns. Trickle down doesn't work. It never has, when it's been tried it has failed.

bbsam

Staff member
So you are going to take away from seniors who depend on that to survive? I have no problem getting able bodied people off welfare roles and back to work, and I have no problem offering assistance to those who work who are at subsistence levels, but throwing grandma to the wolves doesn't sound like a very democratic thing to do.
No. I don't want to. But if we're going to cut the debt, some pretty drastic ideas come into play. I know you want an easy formula, a bunch of dead beats thrown off the dole and all will be fine, but that just is not reality.

Personally, I say cut SS. The government of the 70s, 80, 90s and now ran the debt up. They should be the ones paying for it, not future generations.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
We've already downsized the military. Which by the way is a wonderful program for employing the poor. Want to turn them all out on the street because you don't believe in having a military?
It seems like we're in agreement that the military is nothing but a huge government jobs program. Yes, I'd like to dismantle that system.

I'd like our military to focus on defense instead of adding trillions to our debt to fight pointless wars in barren third world countries that have been at war for thousands of years.

bbsam

Staff member
Kansas is in the middle of a massive trickle down experiment. They cut the corporate tax rate to 0. Their job growth had been lower than the surrounding states. The state budget was gutted. They had to close schools in small towns, that helped destroy those small towns. Trickle down doesn't work. It never has, when it's been tried it has failed.
STFU! Facts are not welcome in Trump related threads!

gman042

Been around the block a few times
I saw some garbage cans lit on fire in front of the media yesterday. I saw reports of some broken windows. Nothing worse than an average "celebration" for a sports championship. Some children get over zealous when opportunities like this arise and take advantage to destroy things. .

Selective perception.....

vantexan

As someone who lives in Kansas I see no difference from surrounding States. Just liberal media hating on it. The idea was to attract business to the State but they forgot one important element...no one wants to move here.

vantexan

It seems like we're in agreement that the military is nothing but a huge government jobs program. Yes, I'd like to dismantle that system.

I'd like our military to focus on defense instead of adding trillions to our debt to fight pointless wars in barren third world countries that have been at war for thousands of years.
I agree with you but with Putin, the rise of China, our NATO obligations, ISIS, etc a greatly weakened military only invites problems.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
I agree with you but with Putin, the rise of China, our NATO obligations, ISIS, etc a greatly weakened military only invites problems.
Our military is anything but weak, we could make drastic cuts and still no one on the planet would be even close to touching our strength. But most importantly, like I said, we should focus on defense. The wars we are fighting in the middle east are not about defense, they never were. In fact I'd say putting our soldiers in the middle east makes us less safe, not more.

vantexan

No. I don't want to. But if we're going to cut the debt, some pretty drastic ideas come into play. I know you want an easy formula, a bunch of dead beats thrown off the dole and all will be fine, but that just is not reality.

Personally, I say cut SS. The government of the 70s, 80, 90s and now ran the debt up. They should be the ones paying for it, not future generations.
Again you're mischaracterizing my views to score points. Of course it's complicated and there aren't easy solutions. But this is where we're at and to stand in the way of the new president trying to tackle these issues because he's in the wrong party or you're afraid it'll be your ox that's gored isn't helping find a solution either.

bbsam

Staff member
Again you're mischaracterizing my views to score points. Of course it's complicated and there aren't easy solutions. But this is where we're at and to stand in the way of the new president trying to tackle these issues because he's in the wrong party or you're afraid it'll be your ox that's gored isn't helping find a solution either.
No. I'm saying the truth. If debt is the concern, SS, Medicare and defense are all on the table and will all go under the axe. There is no other way to get there. Cutting taxes and waste fraud abuse talk is all campaign crap. It isn't policy and it isn't dealing with cold hard facts.

Now if debt really isn't a concern, just expect a lot more of the same with different winners and losers named in crony capitalism.

vantexan

Our military is anything but weak, we could make drastic cuts and still no one on the planet would be even close to touching our strength. But most importantly, like I said, we should focus on defense, and never have been. The wars we are fighting in the middle east are not about defense. In fact I'd say putting our soldiers in the middle east makes us less safe, not more.
Who's arguing with you? The sad truth is it takes a SOB like Saddam Hussein to keep it all together over there. If a gov't like China fields millions of troops and is spending trillions to enhance their capability we shouldn't assume we can make do with 50,000 troops and eventually obsolete weaponry. But certainly a lot of fat can be cut out of the military budget that benefits the defense industry and Washington.

Last edited:

MAKAVELI

As someone who lives in Kansas I see no difference from surrounding States. Just liberal media hating on it. The idea was to attract business to the State but they forgot one important element...no one wants to move here.
So you're saying cutting taxes is not the answer?

vantexan

No. I'm saying the truth. If debt is the concern, SS, Medicare and defense are all on the table and will all go under the axe. There is no other way to get there. Cutting taxes and waste fraud abuse talk is all campaign crap. It isn't policy and it isn't dealing with cold hard facts.

Now if debt really isn't a concern, just expect a lot more of the same with different winners and losers named in crony capitalism.
SS is a separate program that not only takes care of seniors, but the disabled and orphans too. And that's the problem, it's money should've never been touched to begin with to pay for other things. It's collected separately from income tax for a reason. I find it incredulous that a Democrat would feel the way you do other than you are trying to get me to say something you can use against me.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
He's unpopular because the media hammers him so much they're planting the seeds of doubt in even some of his supporters. Let's see how he's doing in 100 days, 1 year, 4 years.

Oh. Poor baby. The media hammers him because he deserves to be hammered for being a sexist, bullying maroon. He's unpopular because he's an arrogant, whining, incompetent rich boy who wants to be our King. A lying weasel who wants it all his way, including not divesting from his assets. If you want to be President, THAT COMES WITH THE JOB!!

I guess FOX hammers him too, right? That media outlet is completely fair and unbiased.

bbsam

Staff member
SS is a separate program that not only takes care of seniors, but the disabled and orphans too. And that's the problem, it's money should've never been touched to begin with to pay for other things. It's collected separately from income tax for a reason. I find it incredulous that a Democrat would feel the way you do other than you are trying to get me to say something you can use against me.
They are taxes that have been collected over the years much of it for retirement.

But we talk about putting our debt on our children. Why? Why not realize we need to spend our retirement on what we just had to have so that we do not burden them? We decided to have low taxes. We decided to go to war. We decided to live beyond our means. Why put that on our kids? More to the point, what if our kids simply decide to pay for our indulgences with what we thought would be our retirement? Wouldn't that be more fair?

vantexan

Oh. Poor baby. The media hammers him because he deserves to be hammered for being a sexist, bullying maroon. He's unpopular because he's an arrogant, whining, incompetent rich boy who wants to be our King. A lying weasel who wants it all his way, including not divesting from his assets. If you want to be President, THAT COMES WITH THE JOB!!

I guess FOX hammers him too, right? That media outlet is completely fair and unbiased.
Has he done anything illegal concerning divestiture? I've been plenty critical of him but if he pulls off what he says he'll do I'm all for it.