Your 401k Allocations.

CoolStoryBro

my 401k is 100% S&P.
I hate the funds available via our 401k.
I've heard about the "self directed" option.
But cannot find any literature regarding it or anything on the 401k site.
Anyone know how to enable the self directed 401k?
Thank you.

Last edited:

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
Cool Story Bro!
giphy.gif

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
my 401k is 100% S&P.
I hate the funds available via our 401k.
I've heard about the "self directed" option.
But cannot find any literature regarding it or anything on the 401k site.
Thank you.
If you're 100% in the S&P you're already doing the best you can.

SnowCitizen

Go to the 401k site. Don't log in. Click the I'm a Participant tab. Click the Self-Managed Account Information link. You will find a little bit of information about the self managed accounts, and then there is a simple form you have to print, fill out, and mail in.

Benben

Working on a new degree, Masters in BS Detecting!
It would be silly to have both a Traditional and a Roth. Stick with the Traditional and bump up your contribution every time that you get a pay raise.
Bad blanket advice on your "silly" comment. Some will see an advantage in having both. I promised the wife a long Italy trip when I retire. I will reach into the Roth and grab whatever I need for that trip and whatever other "big" purchase I want without thinking twice about the income tax implications!

Bad blanket advice on your "silly" comment. Some will see an advantage in having both. I promised the wife a long Italy trip when I retire. I will reach into the Roth and grab whatever I need for that trip and whatever other "big" purchase I want without thinking twice about the income tax implications!
A little of both is a good mix. Especially since Roth distributions will not make you Social security taxable