$15 an hour minimum wage.

TUT

i'm not a driver..I'm a PTer....who started years ago making 8.50/hr...now I make around 20. So i'm supposed to get nothing while new PTers would start at 15? Sorry I say screw that!

My apologies. In your case, yeah something will give, I'm sure it wouldn't be $5 straight away, but in time the scale will be increased.

oldngray

nowhere special
funny-Barbie-McDonalds-minimum-wage.jpg

'Lord Brown's bidding'

I agree, I've been a PTer for 6.5 years now and barely over $15 an hour. Yes, I'm on the driving list, but after busting ass for that long, seeing a newbie making about what I do would be a humongous slap in the balls.

Sent using BrownCafe App
:bpotd: they can start at the bottom, just like we did..remember the $150 paychecks??

I'm glad people don't feel similarly with things like civil rights....

oldngray

nowhere special
We all (or most of us anyway) worked at minimum wage jobs. Those are supposed to be entry level or temporary positions, not for a career. How does $1.85/hour sound? Only wage increase I got there was when min wage went up to $2.20.

'Lord Brown's bidding'

i've put in my time. I don't care if new PTers were getting 15/hr...but they better raise my hourly rate 6 bucks an hour too. What's good for the goose.....

How are you disadvantaged if they don't?

I wonder if thinking like this inhibits change at times because everyone will be wondering what's in it for them, outside of the knowledge that everyone can feel good making a wage they can live off of. Which you can, at your current rate.

'Lord Brown's bidding'

We all (or most of us anyway) worked at minimum wage jobs. Those are supposed to be entry level or temporary positions, not for a career. How does $1.85/hour sound? Only wage increase I got there was when min wage went up to $2.20.
Old, you keep saying this - as well as others - but no one can tell me where thus came from, because the programs in question, minimum wages and PT work, were not founded on those values.

working up a sweat

Working PT at UPS making 12.50 an hour(50 hours a month). Add the health benefits for myself and family that are paid by the company(1800 a month). This comes to close to 50.00 an hour. And I have over 8 years in as a Teamster in vested penson time(about 800.00 a month when I retire).I plan on going another 9 years till Im 65 and that kitty will grow. I take home 135.00 a week. That money pays for the gas to drive between my 2 jobs and some beer and fun money. I use the money I make from FT job to pay my bills and invest into my retirement. PT UPS career work at low hourly wage is an investment into my future and a career plan shared by many other PTers I work with who are older and work 2 jobs. I only make 12.50 an hour because I worked 4 years and left 8 years and returned. Been back 4 years to get vested and build into pension plan. Thats why the wise ones don't care about low pay, but the benefits. A career at a dead end minimum wage job with no bennies is a bad choice. Minimum wage jobs should be a start to get work experiance and a stepping stone to the stars to a person with a work ethic.

RealPerson

How about the fact that places like mcdonalds and walmart hold seminars to teach there employees how to go on public assistance. Now if they payed them more money they would be able to support themselves. Now you say it's a unskilled job but in some areas there is nothing else. Walmarts move in and shut down every other business in the area. Now ppl have to go work for walmart because there's no other jobs.

Sent using BrownCafe App
Raising Min Wage, will only GROW companies like Walmart, as the mom and pop stores will go out of business.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Sweden overwhelmingly rejected (76%) the proposal to raise their minimum wage to $24.70/hr. Opponents of the plan cited the devastating effect it could have had on the economy. They have no minimum wage and Swedes currently earn an average of $37/hr.

BrownBrokeDown

Those of us that want the minimum wage increased aren't talking about increasing it to stupid levels. Raising the minimum wage does not automatically raise prices. Owners wanting to maintain their percentages raises prices. Think back to Hostess. Workers taking pay cuts to keep the business open and management still getting raises. I don't have time to go back and find everything, but you can look at the difference between top paid and bottom paid in almost any company, and the percentage difference is dramatically different from where it was 30 years ago. The percentage of the population in the middle class is shrinking, and a large majority of it is going lower. A lot of companies are starting to give percentage raises. Think about that for a minute. you have a worker making $10 per hour getting a 1.5% raise, and you have a ceo making $2.5 million getting a 1.5% raise. The gap grows larger.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Working PT at UPS making 12.50 an hour(50 hours a month). Add the health benefits for myself and family that are paid by the company(1800 a month). This comes to close to 50.00 an hour. And I have over 8 years in as a Teamster in vested penson time(about 800.00 a month when I retire).I plan on going another 9 years till Im 65 and that kitty will grow. I take home 135.00 a week. That money pays for the gas to drive between my 2 jobs and some beer and fun money. I use the money I make from FT job to pay my bills and invest into my retirement. PT UPS career work at low hourly wage is an investment into my future and a career plan shared by many other PTers I work with who are older and work 2 jobs. I only make 12.50 an hour because I worked 4 years and left 8 years and returned. Been back 4 years to get vested and build into pension plan. Thats why the wise ones don't care about low pay, but the benefits. A career at a dead end minimum wage job with no bennies is a bad choice. Minimum wage jobs should be a start to get work experiance and a stepping stone to the stars to a person with a work ethic.
Two questions....how do you only work 50 hours a month at ups...we're guaranteed 68? Also, don't PTers need to work at least 750 hours a year to have that year count towards their pension? How can you do that working 50 hrs a month?

BrownBrokeDown

The minimum wage is not the only issue either. The US workforce does not support each other. "My job is harder than yours", "your job is not a real job", " I started out at that wage years ago, why shouldn't you?". The gap is growing between the 1%ers and the rest of us. Here is another example. My grandfather retired in the early 80's after about 11 years at his last warehousing job. He retired at $17+ per hour. I am currently in warehousing, and have 8 years in my current company. I make $15.08 per hour and my next raise will be 1.5%, whoopty-:censored2:ing-doo. 30 years later and making slightly less??? Do you think the top 1% of management throughout the US is making slightly less than they did 30 years ago???

SignificantOwner

A Package Center Manager
I'm quite confident that most part timers didn't vote, and do not vote in general, as compared to full timers. The leadership knows this as well, and we can see the results.
Bingo. The Teamsters work just like business leaders. They'll both take advantage of the defenseless for personal gain if given the opportunity. This is why minimum wage laws are necessary.

SignificantOwner

A Package Center Manager
Ya if workers can unite and compel employers to raise their wages then more power to them. I do feel that our government has made it more and more difficult for entrepreneurs to start up companies and that could be the reason for the shrinking middle class. Everyone is looking for a job and a living wage but fewer businesses are being created due to over taxation and over regulation.
We haven't agreed on much in this discussion but i'm in agreement with these points.

brett636

For the sake of those workers I hope they fail at their $15/hr. demand. Considering most of McDonalds processes are highly repetitive and require little to no skill to complete its not beyond reason to think McDonalds would simply automate much of its current human produced work reducing the pay of a great deal of those protestors from $9/hr or so to $0/hr.

TUT

The minimum wage is not the only issue either. The US workforce does not support each other. "My job is harder than yours", "your job is not a real job", " I started out at that wage years ago, why shouldn't you?". The gap is growing between the 1%ers and the rest of us. Here is another example. My grandfather retired in the early 80's after about 11 years at his last warehousing job. He retired at $17+ per hour. I am currently in warehousing, and have 8 years in my current company. I make $15.08 per hour and my next raise will be 1.5%, whoopty-:censored2:ing-doo. 30 years later and making slightly less??? Do you think the top 1% of management throughout the US is making slightly less than they did 30 years ago???

We're fools. Unless votes are rigged at a massive clip, we have the same power as 1%'ers when it comes to voting. We need to demand it, because they aren't going to put nothing too damn attractive on the ballots. But even reading this, you can see how little guy is arguing what another little guy shouldn't or shouldn't make. +/- 10K a year, as if the whole thing comes down giving a bit extra. How bout it gets better because we'd have more money to spend?