$15 an hour minimum wage.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
I'm quite confident that most part timers didn't vote, and do not vote in general, as compared to full timers. The leadership knows this as well, and we can see the results.
I totally agree, the company did a great job of pitting teamsters against each other, and the full timers won, congrats.

Look my original point was that a low minimum wage justifies a low wage for part timers. I'd love it if there was no minimum wage and we could all crawl out of the chaos that would create better off than we are now. But that's not gonna happen.

Look at it this way, the current minimum wage makes what a full time driver earns per hour look completely ridiculous to the public. It makes what a part timer earns per hour look reasonable. That doesn't mean it is.

Last edited:

overflowed

So let's look at this discussion from another viewpoint. When this country and the middle class was booming after world war 2 the whole country as a whole was doing very well. This is one of the things that made us a superpower. I might add that the wealth in this country was divided much more equally. Back then there were many blue collar union jobs that created a healthy middle class right?

What's happening now is the opposite which I feel is making this country unhealthy. Balance is needed in nature as with humans. So since there is barely a middle class left and all these people need to make a living at sub par wages, in turn they can't put much away in savings and retirement. So, what no one seems to be talking about or wants to talk about is what will this country look like when all these people who can't retire get to that point and who will take care of them? Does this sound like a good idea to those of you who don't think raising the minimum wage should happen? Also, I'm not specifically for a 15 dollar an hour wage but the minimum wage should have been raised much more long ago.
Again, just my thoughts.

Last edited:

redrooster

WOOF WOOF
So let's look at this discussion from another viewpoint. When this country and the middle class was booming after world war 2 the whole country as a whole was doing very well. This is one of the things that made us a superpower. I might add that the wealth in this country was divided much more equally. Back then there were many blue collar union jobs that created a healthy middle class right?

What's happening now is the opposite which I feel is making this country unhealthy. Balance is needed in nature as with humans. So since there is barely a middle class left and all these people need to make a living at sub par wages, in turn they can't put much away in savings and retirement. So, what no one seems to be talking about or wants to talk about is what will this country look like when all these people who can't retire get to that point and who will take care of them? Does this sound like a good idea to those of you who don't think raising the minimum wage should happen? Also, I'm not specifically for a 15 dollar an hour wage but the minimum wage should have been raised much more long ago.
Again, just my thoughts.
This may be true but those situations back then weren't manufactured by the government. I don't think the government can close the gap between rich and poor.

overflowed

This may be true but those situations back then weren't manufactured by the government. I don't think the government can close the gap between rich and poor.
I understand that. But, if nobody stops what is going on in this country what's the alternative. What's happening in the country will have severe impacts in our lifetimes. I'm not saying what should happen, only that something must. If that's Mcdonalds workers trying to get a union to get a fair wage then I'm all for it. So, because of this thread I was delivering to a Burger King and actually stopped and looked at the workers. Not a teenager in sight. Something is obviously broken if 30- 40 years can't find full time work elsewhere.

redrooster

WOOF WOOF
I understand that. But, if nobody stops what is going on in this country what's the alternative. What's happening in the country will have severe impacts in our lifetimes. I'm not saying what should happen, only that something must. If that's Mcdonalds workers trying to get a union to get a fair wage then I'm all for it. So, because of this thread I was delivering to a Burger King and actually stopped and looked at the workers. Not a teenager in sight. Something is obviously broken if 30- 40 years can't find full time work elsewhere.
Ya if workers can unite and compel employers to raise their wages then more power to them. I do feel that our government has made it more and more difficult for entrepreneurs to start up companies and that could be the reason for the shrinking middle class. Everyone is looking for a job and a living wage but fewer businesses are being created due to over taxation and over regulation.

JL 0513

Getting government out of our faces would create a booming economy. Washington is doing everything it can to stop job creation, in many cases without even knowing it. These people create new rules and regs everyday thinking they're doing good but they shut down businesses with each bill.

America is now way down on the list for economic freedom (creating/opening a business). It's becoming impossible to comply with everything. It's come to a point where only big corporations have the resources to sort through all the BS. It's actually illegal to run a lemonade stand anymore. You need food service licensing and all that crap. Meanwhile, in Hong Kong you can have a business up and running in an hour with just one sheet of paper filled out.

redrooster

WOOF WOOF
Getting government out of our faces would create a booming economy. Washington is doing everything it can to stop job creation, in many cases without even knowing it. These people create new rules and regs everyday thinking they're doing good but they shut down businesses with each bill.

America is now way down on the list for economic freedom (creating/opening a business). It's becoming impossible to comply with everything. It's come to a point where only big corporations have the resources to sort through all the BS. It's actually illegal to run a lemonade stand anymore. You need food service licensing and all that crap. Meanwhile, in Hong Kong you can have a business up and running in an hour with just one sheet of paper filled out.
Yes!

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Does anyone here think that part timers at UPS don't deserve $15 an hour?
Why can't the union negotiate that wage for us?
Maybe it has a little something to do with the minimum wage....
i've put in my time. I don't care if new PTers were getting 15/hr...but they better raise my hourly rate 6 bucks an hour too. What's good for the goose.....

TUT

i've put in my time. I don't care if new PTers were getting 15/hr...but they better raise my hourly rate 6 bucks an hour too. What's good for the goose.....

There's a root issue... you know if they get more it dilutes your dollars some. So pettiness and greed show their face. I say, good for them, I'll be happy knowing they are doing better and maybe not needing gov't support to round out their jobs income. Allow a man to feel like a man again. Charity is nice, but not ideal. If a job can't do that, I'd say the Job is failing itself.

Drivers are over 70k and worry that a PT making 12K getting more? This is another reason why we don't have good things, we don't deserve them.

Last edited:

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
There's a root issue... you know if they get more it dilutes your dollars some. So pettiness and greed show their face. I say, good for them, I'll be happy knowing they are doing better and maybe not needing gov't support to round out their jobs income. You know allow a man to feel like a man again. Charity is nice, but not ideal. If a job can't do that, I'd say the Job is failing itself.

Drivers are over 70k and worry that a PT making 12K getting more? This is another reason why we don't have good things, we don't deserve them.
i'm not a driver..I'm a PTer....who started years ago making 8.50/hr...now I make around 20. So i'm supposed to get nothing while new PTers would start at 15? Sorry I say screw that!

Jas85374

i'm not a driver..I'm a PTer....who started years ago making 8.50/hr...now I make around 20. So i'm supposed to get nothing while new PTers would start at 15? Sorry I say screw that!
I agree, I've been a PTer for 6.5 years now and barely over $15 an hour. Yes, I'm on the driving list, but after busting ass for that long, seeing a newbie making about what I do would be a humongous slap in the balls.

Sent using BrownCafe App

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
I agree, I've been a PTer for 6.5 years now and barely over $15 an hour. Yes, I'm on the driving list, but after busting ass for that long, seeing a newbie making about what I do would be a humongous slap in the balls.

Sent using BrownCafe App
:bpotd: they can start at the bottom, just like we did..remember the $150 paychecks??