1800 jobs on CNN.....

The Brown Santa

Ping Pong Ball
I would have loved to worked as directed.
That should be in place as a pre union strike.

Like many other company workers do.

And that would teach UPS a lesson, that thier "directions" are wrong !

I work as directed and I love it! As long as that paycheck clears on Thursday. My management team isn't concerned with service failures. The drivers that DO care and make suggestions are ignored. Once you realize that PAS/EDD knows ALL, and you just get paid from the neck down, everything will fall into place. Cha Ching.

tieguy

Banned
I think it's great !
Do you really need a rep flying in from another center, with all travelling costs and hotels, meals, to tell you how to deliver in your own city ?
Bunch of garbage that is (was)..

Should have never gone that far , in the first place.

i.E.: Americans flying to Canada to tell us how to do the job !
Which they have no clue about.

Every city, region is differnet.

It all comes down to the drivers knowlege and expertise anyways.
And, even the center managers. They know the region. Not the over paid outsiders !

Now that I can relate to. For instance here at the Brown Cafe we have a canadian that does not work for ups that constantly badmouths ups and the united states.

upssalesguy

UPS Defender
Enlighten me please. Who makes the final decision on what price we will charge customers for their shipping?

Are you given certain guidlines that you can work between on price, with your goal to get them to agree to the high end? Similar to a car salesman?

I don't really like car salesmen.

no, not exactly. we take customers shipping charactoristics and run them through our pricing system. EVERYTHING has a cost to it...box size, weight, package charactoristics, number of package, DELIVERY distribution (is it resi, is it rural, is it going to a major city), payment terms, payment options, is it picked up on a feeder truck, package car, does it require additional handling, is it a high damage customer that we will pay a high frequency of claims, etc.

once this analysis is complete, yes, we are given a small range in which to negotiate. and YES we want to get those packages at the price that will benefit UPS the most - its called negotitation.

at UPS, we will lose on price everytime. fedex has a much different cost structure (see independant contractors, seperate air network, etc).

this forces UPS to sell value - technology, customer service, drivers, etc. - you wonder why to have SSI accounts? that is value UPS can bring that fedex cannot - it is a differntiator.

maybe that gives you a teeny tiny snapshot into what I do on my laptop all day.

and yes, it helps immensly if the driver has a good relationship with the customer and can get us in to talk to the people that make the decision.

edit: and once we DO win the business, it is the Account Executive jobs to retain it - that is just as hard with fedex offering similar services and much better pricing.

tieguy

Banned
I would have loved to worked as directed.
That should be in place as a pre union strike.

Like many other company workers do.

And that would teach UPS a lesson, that thier "directions" are wrong !

sounds like you think UPS should have let you get drunk on the job? I think they righted their wrongs. they realized they were wrong to have hired you and they righted that wrong when they caught you sloffing at the bar.

You therefore should feel that UPS did their job very well.

Re-Raise

no, not exactly. we take customers shipping charactoristics and run them through our pricing system. EVERYTHING has a cost to it...box size, weight, package charactoristics, number of package, DELIVERY distribution (is it resi, is it rural, is it going to a major city), payment terms, payment options, is it picked up on a feeder truck, package car, does it require additional handling, is it a high damage customer that we will pay a high frequency of claims, etc.

once this analysis is complete, yes, we are given a small range in which to negotiate. and YES we want to get those packages at the price that will benefit UPS the most - its called negotitation.

at UPS, we will lose on price everytime. fedex has a much different cost structure (see independant contractors, seperate air network, etc).

this forces UPS to sell value - technology, customer service, drivers, etc. - you wonder why to have SSI accounts? that is value UPS can bring that fedex cannot - it is a differntiator.

maybe that gives you a teeny tiny snapshot into what I do on my laptop all day.

and yes, it helps immensly if the driver has a good relationship with the customer and can get us in to talk to the people that make the decision.

edit: and once we DO win the business, it is the Account Executive jobs to retain it - that is just as hard with fedex offering similar services and much better pricing.

And this negotiation takes place once a year? How often can they threaten to leave and renegotiate?

You do know that it is not the Account Executive's job to retain the business right?

I believe it is the job of the people who provide the service to retain the business.

Countdownto2024

I am new to BrownCafe and I am so disappointed with it. :sad-little: Every thread I read always ends up the same - as an argument between drivers and sales about who has a tougher/more important job. Don't we all work for the same company? Don't we all get paid by Big Brown? Don't we all want UPS to succeed and continue to grow? This constant bickering like children is foolish. Why can't we all just get along?!? We all have difficulties in our jobs and UPS needs all of us to our best.

Dittto! We all play crucial roles to the companies success. Some may be physically demanding and some more mentally stressful, but when one part fails it affects the whole system and it falters. I for one want to change for the better. Trim the fat and just get the job done right the first time!! And I enjoy when a drive shows up to make a change, it shows they care!!:peaceful:

upssalesguy

UPS Defender
And this negotiation takes place once a year? How often can they threaten to leave and renegotiate?

You do know that it is not the Account Executive's job to retain the business right?

I believe it is the job of the people who provide the service to retain the business.

i got a case of guiness beside me in the cooler.

customer threaten all the time, but if there is a partnership, not so much. our agreements are usually 3 years, but the copmpetition puts a wrench in that time line.

and please, tell me why it isnt my job to retain the accounts in my account base that have a plan, that I get paid on?

re-raise, how about I buy you a beer and keep the hugging to a minimum? :)

bumped

upsssalesguy...How hard or easy is it to for some of the larger companies to get out of the system that they're intergrated in with UPS? I've heard sales people say that they are not worried about so and so, because they are so intergrated with us.

upsgrunt

I have a question? Don't we all do a job that when done cooperatively, leads to Customers, pay checks and ultimately profit so we can keep the ball rolling?
I may be biased, because UPSSALES seems to be a decent guy to me based on how I judges the tome of his posts.
Lighten up.
Here's another observation. I have noticed that posters seems to make a moutain out of a mole hill based on what someone states on here. Not everyone, for sure and there's no one that seems to do that only. Look at post #33, (Sorry UPSGRUNT, I know you hate me so I'm picking on you). No where in this thread can i see where UPSSALES is minimizing anyones role in this company.
There are some people that think I am useless because i work in the Air headquarters. That is far from the case. If we didn't have the people we do, doing their best at what they do, we'd probably tank within a couple of years

DOL,
I have never hated you, and I hope I didn't ever come across like that. I just haven't scored enough points with you for us to understand each other.:peaceful:
Let's start over and laugh about it all.
Peace
Steve

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
Salesguy brought up SSI accounts. Please explain this concept to operations managers and dispatchers. Sounds good when you promise this to the customer but operations needs to make it work. I had an 8:30 to 9:30 delivery window customer transferred to my route after PAS came in. On a good day I get to it at 9:45. An 8:30 delivery doesn't work so well when you leave at 9 and it's 26 miles away.:greedy::knockedout::angry::whiteflag: PS. Our Sales Rep was explaining his job to me and all the crap the company expects from him and the numbers he has to hit. I could relate.

upssalesguy

UPS Defender
upsssalesguy...How hard or easy is it to for some of the larger companies to get out of the system that they're intergrated in with UPS? I've heard sales people say that they are not worried about so and so, because they are so intergrated with us.

There is a major cost to change for some companies, but we should never think that is a major barrier. FedEx will and has paid the money out of their pocket to integrate in some of our largest accounts, just to be on a level playing field. But, the more intgrated a customer is, the less likely they are to switch. that goes back to UPS being the leader in technology and forcing us to sell on value.

i was just on a conference call with a customer that told me it would cost them about 50k to add a UPS Basic modual to their software for me to win their fedex smart post business.

outamyway

I think this is a positive move for the company and will streamline our operations as we head in to the new decade. I just hope that the EBO targets those individuals for whom it is intended and leaves those who will remain an asset to the company in place.

I don't know, so far in my somewhat short(4 years) experience at UPS, the best sups get demoted and the worse get promoted.

outamyway

I work as directed and I love it! As long as that paycheck clears on Thursday. My management team isn't concerned with service failures. The drivers that DO care and make suggestions are ignored. Once you realize that PAS/EDD knows ALL, and you just get paid from the neck down, everything will fall into place. Cha Ching.

This is why I will never become a full time driver. I just can not let it be the way it is. I have a hard enough time being back on the preload. Not because of the work but because of what management believes works, when it clearly does not.

I feel like I am working in an asylum where the crazy ones are calling the shots.