42.49 and ATSG

FAVREFAN

Have any other stocks gone down in value in the last ten years...hmmm

I was one of the few if not the only union employee at my center who bought the shares when they were made available to us before we went public. I still have some shares with a cost basis below $20.

I agree the initial jump to $78 was a little amazing but I didn't complain at the time. In fact I put in an inground pool and bought a new truck with some of the profit.

The point is in a tough economic time like this where would you rather have your money than UPS stock at these prices? We will survive this, many companies won't. We are still paid a quarterly dividend.

If you think the stock sucks or don't have the stomach for investing in this environment, sell, and someone like me will buy.
I did silly. I had the same low cost averages you did. I was buying my ass off in the late 90's. I sold off 95% of my shares between the upper $50's and and upper $60's. I've been investing for 17 years, believe me, I have a rock hard acidic stomach. As I said, UPS stock sucked when the economic environment was fine. The current crisis just made it worse. Wall Street has always been biased towards FDX over us. I will say the UPS Dividend is attractive with the stock at these atrocious levels. Happy trading.

705red

Browncafe Steward
Im not going anywhere for a while, so i would love to see the stock keep lowering. I do the employee payroll deduction weekly,so if it hits $20 a share i would save an additional 105 of that. And hopefully when i go to retire in 15 years i will make out!

The stock market is just a legalized way of gambling! Oh yeah bet your portfolio on the steelers and take the under!

I did silly. I had the same low cost averages you did. I was buying my ass off in the late 90's. I sold off 95% of my shares between the upper $50's and and upper $60's. I've been investing for 17 years, believe me, I have a rock hard acidic stomach. As I said, UPS stock sucked when the economic environment was fine. The current crisis just made it worse. Wall Street has always been biased towards FDX over us. I will say the UPS Dividend is attractive with the stock at these atrocious levels. Happy trading.

Historically FDX has been cheaper than UPS. Just recently (about a month) have both of them been equally valued. UPS has 3 times the outstanding shares as FDX. If they were equal UPS would be at about $125-$130 today.

Old International

Now driving a Sterling
I am buying just about all I can get. UPS is in a lot better shape then a bunch of other companies, and I look for the stock price to be up in the next six to nine months.

Re-Raise

A good stock will increase in value by 10% a year. To expect that this will double in a few years is probably not likely.

The market is in a downward spiral. Where is the bottom? No one knows. I think many many people will be in for a real surprise when they realize that the anointed one (Obama) will not be the answer. Certainly not with his stimulus plan (AKA government pork stimulus).

What we are experiencing is more then a correction. But, when the economy does come around, the market will not go back to where it was for a long long time.

People sell stock even when it is low, because they predict it will go even lower. I do not think UPS will go out, but it would not surprise me to see it fall even lower as far as stock price.

Stock price of 42.49 to 55.83. A gain of over 31% in three months.

King of Chester is officially fired as my stock market adviser!

Re-Raise

I am not investing in UPS because of the last quarter results from 2008. I am an investor because I like what the company has done over the previous 100 years and believe we are positioned well for the next 20 or so years I plan to hold my shares.

Again it goes back to instant gratification. I don't need my shares to go up next week, but I bet down the road we will be fine.

Good things come to those who look long term... thanks to all those who were willing to sell at 42.49.

Last edited by a moderator:

Re-Raise

several brokerage houses are indicating that UPS stock will rise to $77.00- $80.00/ share.........if it reaches $75.00......I'm selling

And put the proceeds in what? My money market accounts pay less than 2% and I have no debt to pay off.

What great investment are you looking at that you would feel more comfortable putting your money in.

As you can probably tell from my screen name I play A LOT of high stakes poker. Many people I play with feel the same way you do and it hurts their game.

They leave a game where they are doing well because they are ahead even though it is any easy game where they could continue to win.

On the other hand they will stay in a game where they are losing because they want to get even when the other players may be better than they are.

I am very comfortable with what UPS does and the dividend it pays. I think I will stay in the game.

Last edited:

brown bomber

brown bomber
just taking my profit off of the table...........you can't expect the stock to keep going up.....I can't sell it all due to the 2 yr. hold policy.....I'll find a new home (reinvestment) for the shares sold

SignificantOwner

A Package Center Manager
And put the proceeds in what? My money market accounts pay less than 2% and I have no debt to pay off.

What great investment are you looking at that you would feel more comfortable putting your money in.

As you can probably tell from my screen name I play A LOT of high stakes poker. Many people I play with feel the same way you do and it hurts their game.

They leave a game where they are doing well because they are ahead even though it is any easy game where they could continue to win.

On the other hand they will stay in a game where they are losing because they want to get even when the other players may be better than they are.

I am very comfortable with what UPS does and the dividend it pays. I think I will stay in the game.

Poker wouldn't be any fun if everyone played the exact same game. There are many different styles of poker that have been successful, just like many investing styles have been successful. How about selling some UPS and puting some money into ATSG? If you sold UPS at 42 and bought ATSG you'd be way ahead right now. Yep, it was a gutsy move when I did it, but you have to have some guts to win at poker or investing. ATSG still has a better chance of doubling moving forward than UPS does.

Re-Raise

Poker wouldn't be any fun if everyone played the exact same game. There are many different styles of poker that have been successful, just like many investing styles have been successful. How about selling some UPS and puting some money into ATSG? If you sold UPS at 42 and bought ATSG you'd be way ahead right now. Yep, it was a gutsy move when I did it, but you have to have some guts to win at poker or investing. ATSG still has a better chance of doubling moving forward than UPS does.

ATSG .... wow that is quite a roller coaster 2 year chart..$ 3 down to $ .12 and then back up to $ 5.

I am a gambler but my aversion to risk might be too much for that ride.

Re-Raise

Oh my my my my my...
O
ne topic that surley will get a lot of opinions. As the old saying goes about a body part that we all have........we all have one and they usually stink.
So, let me add my smelly opinion.

First, most day traders loose money.
2nd, trying to read stocks, charts and the like will also drive you crazy.
3rd, A good stock will increase in value by 10% a year. To expect that this will double in a few years is probably not likely.

The market is in a downward spiral. Where is the bottom? No one knows. I think many many people will be in for a real surprise when they realize that the anointed one (Obama) will not be the answer. Certainly not with his stimulus plan (AKA government pork stimulus).

What we are experiencing is more then a correction. But, when the economy does come around, the market will not go back to where it was for a long long time.

People sell stock even when it is low, because they predict it will go even lower. I do not think UPS will go out, but it would not surprise me to see it fall even lower as far as stock price. It would be unwise to by any stock right now based on what the stock has sold for historically.
How does that smell??

I can't read posts from kingofchester without thinking about how ridiculously wrong his advice on the future of the stock market was. What is UPS stock at today? About 73 or so a share?

FAVREFAN

I can't read posts from kingofchester without thinking about how ridiculously wrong his advice on the future of the stock market was. What is UPS stock at today? About 73 or so a share?

It's still well over $4 per share lower than it was over 11 years ago when it first went public. Think about that, if you had bought your shares then. 11 years later, still trying to dig out of a hole. Great for those who bought it in the 40's, still a piece of s__t stock for those who are long term holders.
On the positive side it should continue up with the great peak numbers that will come out. Maybe those who bought in back in November of '99 can finally see a profit soon.

Re-Raise

It's still well over $4 per share lower than it was over 11 years ago when it first went public. Think about that, if you had bought your shares then. 11 years later, still trying to dig out of a hole. Great for those who bought it in the 40's, still a piece of s__t stock for those who are long term holders.
On the positive side it should continue up with the great peak numbers that will come out. Maybe those who bought in back in November of '99 can finally see a profit soon.

That is why a dividend of almost $2 a share each year is important to long term investors. Most of my shares were purchased pre IPO. I have never sold a share for less than $80.

FAVREFAN

That is why a dividend of almost $2 a share each year is important to long term investors. Most of my shares were purchased pre IPO. I have never sold a share for less than $80.

True....2.5-3% dividend is a decent return right now. You must have sold in one of those two very narrow time ranges when it was over $80?