46 year old starting out as package handler

Go Brown Or Go Home!

After the hiring frenzy they just went threw 7 years still might not be the magic number they told you. In my center they hired 6 full time perm. There's only 1 guy gonna retire this year. The next guy up is only 47 years old. So unless 5 guys kick the bucket it'll be a while to go drive. Just my $0.02

clean hairy

The Crusher. The High Flyers, Greg Gagne and Jim Brunzell. Baron Von Raschke. Vern Gagne. Ivan Putski. Bobby "the brain" Heenan. Wahoo McDaniel. George "scrap iron" Gadaski. Lol.
Ernie "big cat Ladd", Bruiser, so many forgot Fritz Von erich in his early days.
Look at the OLD footage of these guys, very little cushioning in the turnbuckles. Now they are as soft as pillows!

watdaflock?

After the hiring frenzy they just went threw 7 years still might not be the magic number they told you.
throwing-someone-into-a-car-window-o.gif

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
The guy is 46. He remembers jyd and King Kong bundy and andre the giant. Sheesh. He is prob a troll anyway. Who the friend is gonna try to work 7/8 years part time busting there ass at 46 to try to get a full time bust your ass job starting in there mid 50's. To retire with benefits inn 80's. Come on now. This is a silly thread to start with.talking bout old time wwf is much better for this thread. Actually. Cheryl,if your here could u change name of this thread to "good old wwf days". Thanks. Lol.
200NUHMVV66.gif
LOL

Anthonysg0113

Man, go for it! They can't say no, because of ageism. It is a rough job. I worked preload, and had to get up at 3 am for years and had a second job. I went into driving. I love it, but another rough ass job. If you show them you're serious and can put up with it, give it a shot. Oh btw, don't go into supervision.

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll
Man, go for it! They can't say no, because of ageism. It is a rough job. I worked preload, and had to get up at 3 am for years and had a second job. I went into driving. I love it, but another rough ass job. If you show them you're serious and can put up with it, give it a shot. Oh btw, don't go into supervision.

LOLOLOLOLOLOL

TOS.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
The only reason you were wore out and lost so much weight in your first few months is because of a lack of fitness before getting hired.
Seriously, how often do you work out? imo- Not taking care of yourself is why somebody would be wore out working here.

This job shouldn't be that hard. Unfortunately I've seen plenty of younger fellas who say how hard UPS is, who've obviously never done any real work.

Sad but true. No wonder America is so fat....
How old are you?

ups1990

I would do it just for the benefits. Not having privy to your current situation, you're at that age where everything on your body starts hurting and needs to be prodded and poked at.
Realistically, you won't be behind the wheel of a UPS trucks at least for a minimum of a decade and you'll be the low man on the seniority list.
If you want to give it a shot, who the hell are we to tell you otherwise.

J

jibbs

The only reason you were wore out and lost so much weight in your first few months is because of a lack of fitness before getting hired.
Seriously, how often do you work out? imo- Not taking care of yourself is why somebody would be wore out working here.

This job shouldn't be that hard. Unfortunately I've seen plenty of younger fellas who say how hard UPS is, who've obviously never done any real work.

I went from 150 to 130lbs real quick after starting, and eventually hit 117lbs before I got real serious about :censored2: being that light.

Managed to hit 135 right before this last peak. Haven't weighed myself since then, though.

I don't eat right. Junk food and all that. I'm always full, just not eating the right stuff... but yeah, this job can take the pounds right off you, man. Personally, I wouldn't say I was out of shape when I started but I was definitely the heaviest I'd ever been. People still said I was too skinny, though, so idk...

I think the average person is likely to be in for a surprise their first few days at UPS.

Sparkey86

Sir, with all due respect, I'm 47. Currently home now on back injury. Years of punishment on my body. Yes I have worked as safely as possible for 29 years at this job but with that said I'm human and as far as I can you are as well. UPS jobs were designed for young men/women and they want thorough breads until it's time for greener pastures ie feeders. I don't want to discourage in anyway but your body at 46 is not designed for the constant strain that will be imposed. HOWEVER I must say we do have older personnel in part time ranks at my center and they do a fine job. My loader is 50 and he is the best. Neat loads and 0 misloads. But he does that for 4 hours in the morning. A package driver endures all the elements plus the lifting and driving for 10 to 12 hours a day. Don't count your chickens etc. I admire a man/ woman that has a plan and goal but there is reality. I wish you the best of luck take it 1 day at a time or at my age, 1 stop at a time. Be safe

Scottups1986

I'm 50, Dec 30 will be my last working day. I will be retiring after 30 years of service. With that being said. In the last 3 years I can tell my body is breaking down, my eyes are getting bad (yes I wear cheater glasses) starting at 47 is gonna be tough, but try it. I really hope you prove us all wrong. Good luck