500 hours left in 2015 for My Freedom

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
my anniversary is in June. I have saved up 45 sick days. prorated vacations would probably be 3 weeks.

so do I have to actually work in 2015? someone told me they would just cash out the sick days and the 360 hours wouldn't count.

also if I do work, do ALL hours count as I work 55 hours a week or just 40 hours per week.? I don't want to give then notice unless I have to. a driver told me that the union will inform the company but I don't want anyone to make a big deal over it.

also I am in the Western Conference.

I saved up enough money to tide me over til the pension checks start. what is the average wait for them to begin?

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
In the Western Conference, its the first 2080 hours you work (or are compensated thru sick days, vacation etc.) in a calendar year that get pension contributions. So yes, your OT does count, up until 2080 hours. I would call your Local to verify where you are at in terms of prorated vacations, the last thing you want to do is pull the plug and find out that you were 6 hours short.....

rod

Retired 22 years
What is this "saved up 45 days of sick leave" you speak of? You have actual paid sick leave days? and you can save them up? Are you in management?

sailfish

Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
I've only ever had to call in sick one time in my working life. If I can keep that up I'll have sick days stacked to the roof.

sailfish

Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
We gotta get that into our next supplement! Also the ability to transfer sick days to other hourlies who need time off for family emergencies and things of that nature.
That's not a nationwide thing??? I'd definitely be on the union's ass about that!

trickpony1

In the Western Conference, its the first 2080 hours you work (or are compensated thru sick days, vacation etc.) in a calendar year that get pension contributions. So yes, your OT does count, up until 2080 hours. I would call your Local to verify where you are at in terms of prorated vacations, the last thing you want to do is pull the plug and find out that you were 6 hours short.....
I would double check if your OT counts.
In the Central conference 1600 hours gets you a year of pension credit.
Our OT doesn't count.
40 weeks X 40 hours a week= 1600 hours.
I'd hate to see roadbeech bail out and find out he shorted himself.

Last edited by a moderator:

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
I've only ever had to call in sick one time in my working life. If I can keep that up I'll have sick days stacked to the roof.
I never hardly ever call in either. Id rather take a day unpaid off if we have extas. I always bid out my sick days and optional days as 2 extra weeks of vacation. Rather have 2 extra weeks of vacation and the 9 days that go with it, especially when your getting the BULLY BEATDOWN on this job every day lol.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
I would double check if your OT counts.
In the Central conference 1600 hours gets you a year of pension credit.
Our OT doesn't count.
40 weeks X 40 hours a week= 1600 hours.
I'd hate to see roadbeech bail out and find out he shorted himself.
We have better language in the Western Conference.

Here, we get pension credit for the first 2080 compensible hours.