'97 Strike Resulted in UPS Going Public

Catatonic

Nine Lives
You would be correct sir....it was a bargaining tool. If you were in Carey's shoes what would you have done?, now that you've had some time to think it over.
I would not have struck ... I would have threatened.
I don't know if UPS would have backed down because they already knew the drivers would vote in the contract as presented ... just like in 2015.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
And you know absolutely nothing. We had leverage, he gave it away.

What a sellout. Hope he plays better poker.
Who had leverage after the 97 strike?
Sure the hell wasn't the Teamsters ... they didn't have any cards left to play.
The Fat Cats keep the money-cow Pensions and the number of "Full Time jobs" at UPS never came close to 10,000 added. LOL
How does 95% of Part-timers feel about that 22.3 language?

Last edited:

By The Book

The Fat Cats keep the money-cow Pensions and the number of "Full Time jobs" at UPS never came close to 10,000 added. LOL
So if no strike vote authorization by you then you would have let the members vote yes so the company has control of the pension/healthcare. I don't think there would of been a majority of members that would have voted yes. At that time we had our heels dug in pretty good.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm talking about this last contract.

Last edited by a moderator:

Catatonic

Nine Lives
So if no strike vote authorization by you then you would have let the members vote yes so the company has control of the pension/healthcare. I don't think there would of been a majority of members that would have voted yes. At that time we had our heels dug in pretty good.
Were you in Central States?