'97 Strike Resulted in UPS Going Public

hellfire

no one considers UPS people."real" Teamsters.-BUG
Honest to God I no longer care if the union folds or the company folds or I lose my pension. FTW..Tired of this horrible place I made the mistake of making a career of....

What'dyabringmetoday???

90% of the people on here just wish they knew what Dave knows and has implemented for his retirement.
Yeah, he's a dick but most of the time he has good solid financial advice.

Blindly believing in the Teamsters is hardly good financial advice ... maybe for the incredibly inept but no one else.
I certainly did not blindly believe in UPS and consequently I paid off my hypos in 2006 and did not lose half my UPS stock like many of my partners did.
And yes, that took some courage and I wound up sitting in front of the desk of a Management Committee member to explain my actions.
He didn't look at me like I was a fool and a traitor in 2009.
I hear you- I wish after almost thirty years I could amass two years of salary. Lol. (Relax there Fossil- just "monkeying" around.)Lol

The UPS Board had been looking at going public since as early as 1992 but the UPS Management Committee was adamantly against it because it would destroy the culture of UPS and change the relationship between Management and other employees.
These same Committee Members felt the drivers had betrayed UPS by striking and changed their mind.
At the time, I agreed ... I thought it was the stupidest thing the Teamsters had ever done.
Unfortunately for me, UPS was able to implement the "publicly owned" policies on management and other non-union employees more easily than Teamsters.
However, UPS is figuring it out as times goes on.
UPS Teamsters royally screwed themselves in that strike ... ask the retirees.
I feel most sorry for the Teamsters that retired prior to 1997 ... they did not bring this on themselves.
So in your opinion Ron Carey not only screwed th central states pension fund but also was responsible for the demise of UPS???????

Catatonic

Nine Lives
So in your opinion Ron Carey not only screwed th central states pension fund but also was responsible for the demise of UPS???????
Only if you say so ... I never said demise.
Ron did what he thought he had to do for the good of the long-term Teamster Union's existence.
The CS may have gone busted and we will know what would have happened if UPS took over CS back in 1997.
I think the probability is very high it would be much better for the UPSers in CS if that had happened.
As for UPS, it is doing better than it was prior to 1997 ... certainly no demise in sight ... yet!

PS - @35years gave a logical and insightful reply on this subject.
You should find it since it goes to show a Teamster can discuss something without getting emotional and talking stupid trash.

'97 Strike Resulted in UPS Going Public

Last edited:
Ron did what he thought he had to do for the good of the long-term Teamster Union's existence.
The CS may have gone busted and we will know what would have happened if UPS took over CS back in 1997.
I think the probability is very high it would be much better for the UPSers in CS if that had happened.
As for UPS, it is doing better than it was prior to 1997 ... certainly no demise in sight ... yet!
Ups kinda sucks to work for now if you are in management now compared to then though?

image.png
Yep, the PCs were much cleaner before ORION!
I love Orion

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Ups kinda sucks to work for now if you are in management now compared to then though?
Yep, even worse than before 1997 and going public.
Maybe not as much for drivers (based on the whining and thrashing on BC) but definitely not a great place to work anymore.
Probably pretty much like any Corporation that pays high wages and salaries in their industry.

Last edited:

By The Book

PS - @35years gave a logical and insightful reply on this subject.
You should find it since it goes to show a Teamster can discuss something without getting emotional and talking stupid trash.
I think any Teamster boss would say no to the 97' last best and final. The way I see it was UPS in no way had to insist that we take the offer. There was plenty of money there for both sides and the strike could of been avoided. If I remember correctly the teamsters ended up with more than the last best and final. So, if you were in Carey's shoes what would you have done? You make some good points but the uncertainty or not having control of the money surely played a part in the vote to strike.

By The Book

Yep, even worse than before 1997 and going public.
Maybe not as much for drivers (based on the whining and thrashing on BC) but definitely not a great place to work anymore.
Probably pretty much line any Corporation that pays high wages and salaries in their industry.
Yes, I think there's so much more BS now to deal with than before. It's a bit overwhelming and can eat you up if you let it. Probably the hardest thing for drivers now is to be nitpicked to death over all these metrics. We kinda knew UPS over managed before, but they're on roids now.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I think any Teamster boss would say no to the 97' last best and final. The way I see it was UPS in no way had to insist that we take the offer. There was plenty of money there for both sides and the strike could of been avoided. If I remember correctly the teamsters ended up with more than the last best and final. So, if you were in Carey's shoes what would you have done? You make some good points but the uncertainty or not having control of the money surely played a part in the vote to strike.
You would have gotten the wages and other things you wanted without striking.
It was just a normal hard-fought UPS-Teamster negotiations until Carey got the Sheeple to authorize a strike vote.
Carey exercising that strike vote caught almost everyone by surprise... it was suppose to be a bargaining tool.

It was just a normal hard-fought UPS-Teamster negotiations until Carey got the Sheeple to authorize a strike vote.
Carey exercising that strike vote caught almost everyone by surprise... it was suppose to be a bargaining tool.
H* forgot to play that card

By The Book

You would be correct sir....it was a bargaining tool. If you were in Carey's shoes what would you have done?, now that you've had some time to think it over.