'97 Strike Resulted in UPS Going Public

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I am the least Joe Union person that you will find yet I never for a moment thought about crossing.

You should have been banned for life while forced to pay an agency fee in lieu if dues in order to receive your benefits and pension.

Overpaid Union Thug

They aren't the owners.

I did not like it either and it turned out worse than I thought it would.

UPS makes more money per year than they ever did as a Private company. It's hard to position it was not a successful move going public.

It doesn't matter what we think about that move ... results is what matters and results at UPS is making enough money to satisfy the shareholders, make payroll, make prudent capital expenditures and have profits left to ensure the future of the company.
Looking OK for right now ... 10 years down the road?
Profits are there but UPS is slowly but surely losing marker share to inferior competition. And that is a direct result of going public. The share holders are number one. Customer service is a VERY distant second place. Record profits as a result of squeezing every extra penny out of the employees (via excessive and arbitrary metrics) isn't a good long term strategy. The competition will eventually catch up.

oldngray

nowhere special
Profits are there but UPS is slowly but surely losing marker share to inferior competition. And that is a direct result of going public. The share holders are number one. Customer service is a VERY distant second place. Record profits as a result of squeezing every extra penny out of the employees (via excessive and arbitrary metrics) isn't a good long term strategy. The competition will eventually catch up.

The problem is that now the focus is all about short term profits even if it involves bad decisions for the long term.

Gotta meet those quarterly numbers for shareholders!

iamupser

Grease Monkey

Gosh, and I thought safety was 1st at UPS!

Packmule

I am the least Joe Union person that you will find yet I never for a moment thought about crossing.

You should have been banned for life while forced to pay an agency fee in lieu if dues in order to receive your benefits and pension.
Say what you will, but the new IBT/UPS fund wasn't accomplished by sticking heads in the sand and swallowing lies. It was accomplished by people like me, who stood up one way or another and demanded our union do for us what we all have to do for our customers if we hope to stay employed. Proved the service we were paying for.
Now the IBT is planning to crawl before the US taxpayers and beg for a bailout on their failed pension plan. When the whole country finally hears the truth about 97, good luck with that.
And for the record, because the union has figured out that if it wants to remain our union, it better start taking care of our needs, they were asking me back long before I returned.
There are many things I'd gladly walk a picket line to see done. Meaningful hours control that kicks after the first 9:5 being one of them. Striking my company so my union can continue stealing my retirement isn't one of them. How sad that some can't see the difference.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
Say what you will, but the new IBT/UPS fund wasn't accomplished by sticking heads in the sand and swallowing lies. It was accomplished by people like me, who stood up one way or another and demanded our union do for us what we all have to do for our customers if we hope to stay employed. Proved the service we were paying for.
Now the IBT is planning to crawl before the US taxpayers and beg for a bailout on their failed pension plan. When the whole country finally hears the truth about 97, good luck with that.
And for the record, because the union has figured out that if it wants to remain our union, it better start taking care of our needs, they were asking me back long before I returned.
There are many things I'd gladly walk a picket line to see done. Meaningful hours control that kicks after the first 9:5 being one of them. Striking my company so my union can continue stealing my retirement isn't one of them. How sad that some can't see the difference.
So you pick and choose which issues are important to you.

Sorry chief it doesn't work that way

By the way your still a scab

sandwich

The resident gearhead
In US history, there has never been a time when unions should be thriving and growing. Working class people are hurting pretty bad. So why isn't that happening? Because this isn't 1930 anymore. Unions can't control the flow of information anymore , and a vastly more sophisticated working class is fed up with the corruption and lies that come out of blind loyalty.
I live in a RTW state, yet we currently have a 100% participation in the FT ranks. Why? Because our local has developed a much more transparent and service oriented way of doing things.
Don't underestimate the ability of working people to see the value of collective bargaining. But likewise, don't underestimate their ability see the corruption blind loyalty causes, and what an enormous turn off it is.
riiiiight because people are much better off trusting the company vs a union.

Packmule

Not at all. Trust no one, UPS badly need a union. Just balance the powers and it keeps everybody honest. All I'm saying here is our union needed and is slowly bringing about a few reforms in attitude. We are not subjects, we are customers. Loyalty is a pendulum that swings both ways.

rod

Retired 22 years
The competition will eventually catch up.

They have more than caught up. Now days if I order something and it comes FedEx Ground it is delivered to my house hours before UPS is in the area. (some times even before UPS gets on the street). They have all the tracking crap UPS does and are just as speedy and for the most part cheaper--- and they deliver ordinary ground stuff on Saturdays -- at least here they do. It don't bother me at all if a long haired scruffy guy delivers my stuff--as long as its here on time and in good shape---besides UPS hasn't any room to talk about how FedEx Ground drivers look. Now days its hard to tell if its a UPS truck at all because they are so dirty.

Overpaid Union Thug

They have more than caught up. Now days if I order something and it comes FedEx Ground it is delivered to my house hours before UPS is in the area. (some times even before UPS gets on the street). They have all the tracking crap UPS does and are just as speedy and for the most part cheaper--- and they deliver ordinary ground stuff on Saturdays -- at least here they do. It don't bother me at all if a long haired scruffy guy delivers my stuff--as long as its here on time and in good shape---besides UPS hasn't any room to talk about how FedEx Ground drivers look. Now days its hard to tell if its a UPS truck at all because they are so dirty.
Doesn't matter! All that does matter is quarterly dividends for our stock holders! And those dividends would quadruple if the damn drivers would simply follow ORION!

Catatonic

Nine Lives

That sounds like RTW ... blind followers don't like it when their Union is held responsible to actually perform a service.