'97 Strike Resulted in UPS Going Public

oldngray

nowhere special
Its maybe a mistake from your perspective but not for the owners of UPS. It's been a huge success for them.
I guess the owners don't care about a workforce that betrayed them in 1997.

The owners are not the management from '97. Publicly traded company now. The stock market doesn't care about people. Just $$$$.

What'dyabringmetoday???

I was out there for the first day and quickly realized what a waste of time it would be for me to spend the next 10-14 days just sitting there.

At the time I was still paying child support and had other bills to pay.

I worked 46 of the hardest hours I had worked in a long, long time and was rewarded for my efforts with the grand sum of $253. My "boss" asked me how much I would have made at UPS for those same 46 hours and he almost :censored2: when I told him.

My child support was set at $250/week. When I received my $253 I handed $250 of that to my ex, who was kind enough to hand $100 back.

I also handed my strike check back to our BA as I had not earned it.
Perhaps you should refrain from offering financial advice. Lol

Catatonic

Nine Lives
You act like all was rosy in Camelot prior to 1997. It wasn't.

The anger, hate and bitterness of the drivers, perpetrated by management, finally blew.

Why can't management acknowledge this?
UPS is a high pressure environment for high achievers.
Always has been (at least in the last 50 years) and always will be if UPS stays in business.
That is what the Teamsters wanted - High wages and benefits for high output on the job.

So to your point, UPS was never a great place to work other than pay or benefits for anyone.
Even most Upper Management with those real cushy jobs retire the first chance they get.
Even use to be that way with the CEO.

Oh yeah, the strike really showed UPS didn't it.
UPS just screwed over management and put more pressure on them so it flowed down to the drivers.

UPS is not for everyone
... it's posted on here several times a day.
People gonna bitch and whine but that's the way it was and the way it is and the way it will be.
What's to acknowledge ... That UPS is for grownups and you will be pressured to achieve the most you can? ... and that applies to all employees.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Perhaps you should refrain from offering financial advice. Lol
90% of the people on here just wish they knew what Dave knows and has implemented for his retirement.
Yeah, he's a dick but most of the time he has good solid financial advice.

Blindly believing in the Teamsters is hardly good financial advice ... maybe for the incredibly inept but no one else.
I certainly did not blindly believe in UPS and consequently I paid off my hypos in 2006 and did not lose half my UPS stock like many of my partners did.
And yes, that took some courage and I wound up sitting in front of the desk of a Management Committee member to explain my actions.
He didn't look at me like I was a fool and a traitor in 2009.

Overpaid Union Thug

Its maybe a mistake from your perspective but not for the owners of UPS. It's been a huge success for them.
I guess the owners don't care about a workforce that betrayed them in 1997.
I'm not going to comment on the union side of it because, like I said,..... It's debatable and both sides can make valid points, but as far as the corporate side...... you guys sold out to make a quick buck (many much more than that) and many did so out of spite and revenge for the strike. That was so lame.

And each and every old timer in management I've ever worked for (and continue to work for) wont hesitate to admit that it, regardless of those responsible's motives, was the biggest mistake in the history of UPS. Their daily decisions are STILL impacted by that stupid decision.

I'm not going to comment on the union side of it because, like I said,..... It's debatable and both sides can make valid points, but as far as the corporate side...... you guys sold out to make a quick buck (many much more than that) and many did so out of spite and revenge for the strike. That was so lame.

And each and every old timer in management I've ever worked for (and continue to work for) wont hesitate to admit that it, regardless of those responsible's motives, was the biggest mistake in the history of UPS. Their daily decisions are STILL impacted by that stupid decision.
I don't agree with your opinions all the time, but no one can disagree with this post.

oldngray

nowhere special

It was the time of IPO mania and the long time management saw it as an opportunity to cash in. They made out like bandits and left UPS leaving the mess they created behind.

Orion inc.

I like turtles
90% of the people on here just wish they knew what Dave knows and has implemented for his retirement.
Yeah, he's a dick but most of the time he has good solid financial advice.

Blindly believing in the Teamsters is hardly good financial advice ... maybe for the incredibly inept but no one else.
I certainly did not blindly believe in UPS and consequently I paid off my hypos in 2006 and did not lose half my UPS stock like many of my partners did.
And yes, that took some courage and I wound up sitting in front of the desk of a Management Committee member to explain my actions.
He didn't look at me like I was a fool and a traitor in 2009.

Dave's financial advice works for Dave. His overall type of advice you can receive from any certified financial advisor.

The only person you should rely on for retirement is yourself by saving and investing with discipline. Everyone has different situations or goals. With planning, anyone can retire comfortably.

Relying on ups, the teamsters or SS for retirement is foolish. Save, plan, and use a good advisor.

It really is that simple and I'm sure that's what Dave does too.

Packmule

??

Yeah the goofball that got our healthcare paid for. What a wacky concept that a corporation should have to pay for the healthcare of the employees that make it money everyday!

That UPS management brainwashing must stick with you a long time if your retired and still saying this kind of crap
Union called the company's HC plan a "forced HMO" during the strike. A few months later, the brought the EXACT same plan back urging members to vote it in. I know. I kept the paperwork for both plans. Just another lie, to keep them in control of your pension so the could bleed you dry.
A con. A criminal, and yes, a nutcase.

Packmule

But lest anyone get the wrong idea about me, today was another of those days when the company reaffirmed my reason why I got back into the union.
But like l said, my loyalty follows those displaying the most integrity at the time. And right now, that isn't the company.

Catatonic

Nine Lives

They aren't the owners.

I did not like it either and it turned out worse than I thought it would.

UPS makes more money per year than they ever did as a Private company. It's hard to position it was not a successful move going public.

It doesn't matter what we think about that move ... results is what matters and results at UPS is making enough money to satisfy the shareholders, make payroll, make prudent capital expenditures and have profits left to ensure the future of the company.
Looking OK for right now ... 10 years down the road?

35years

Gravy route
They aren't the owners.

I did not like it either and it turned out worse than I thought it would.

UPS makes more money per year than they ever did as a Private company. It's hard to position it was not a successful move going public.

Does UPS make more profit as a percentage of revenue than they used to?
I seriously doubt it.

Was going public the cause of the current profitability or perhaps...The rise of the internet along with the rise in global commerce which UPS positioned itself for long before going public?

Drivers that have been around a while can see the change in the company. Day to day operations no longer coalesce with long term strategies. You have managers saying things like "Follow ORION trace even if you know a more efficient way of doing your route". The entire workforce is now just trying to stay under the radar by meeting arbitrary matrices instead of doing what is right. But UPS's troubles are just a reflection of the demise of western civilization as a whole. 10 years for looking OK as a company and a country is optimistic in my book.

35years

Gravy route
But like l said, my loyalty follows those displaying the most integrity at the time.
The antithesis of loyalty.
You stabbed your coworkers in the back by crossing.
I called you a scab not to intimidate you but to call you out as being self-serving.
When you are in the union you do not cross, period.
Since you don't believe in solidarity you should quit the union again.
Scab.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I called you a scab not to intimidate you but to call you out as being self-serving.
Scab.
Damn, I think he means it!

Packmule

Scab.
In US history, there has never been a time when unions should be thriving and growing. Working class people are hurting pretty bad. So why isn't that happening? Because this isn't 1930 anymore. Unions can't control the flow of information anymore , and a vastly more sophisticated working class is fed up with the corruption and lies that come out of blind loyalty.
I live in a RTW state, yet we currently have a 100% participation in the FT ranks. Why? Because our local has developed a much more transparent and service oriented way of doing things.
Don't underestimate the ability of working people to see the value of collective bargaining. But likewise, don't underestimate their ability see the corruption blind loyalty causes, and what an enormous turn off it is.