Abandoned places

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
Is anyone else as fascinated as I am by abandoned places?

This is a former greyhound track I pass all the time that opened in 1929 and shut down a few years ago
1D547B5C-51EC-42E6-A6AB-DB1ECB43BBC0.jpeg
1EC49EC2-3CB6-468B-85B6-F74DB91DF5A2.jpeg

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'
Love walking through the ghost towns and abandoned mining villages in the Colorado Rockies. If walls could talk......

sailfish

Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
Yes! I love watching videos like this. We have a lot of stores like such around this God forsaken ghost town. I'd love the chance to explore one. About 3/4 of the local mall's anchor stores have been closed for years; signage gone, weeds growing through the parking lot cracks, and vines growing up the building face.

sailfish

I think part of what makes abandoned buildings so fascinating is what could be explained as "liminal space." This was a pretty good video on the subject.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
Abandoned places can be neat but kind of sad when somebody else comes along and bulldozes them to build something else.
Yeah, someone bought the greyhound track to build “luxury apartments”. Sounds good, right? Wrong. They want it to be four stories high and it’s right across the road from the main runway at the airport. Big fight going on right now to stop the apartments.

sailfish

I consider myself lucky that my line of work affords me the opportunity to see places in these liminal states on a fairly regular basis. Often a place doesn't even necessarily have to be closed or abandoned to incite these feelings. A desolate rooftop, even above what would be a lively store underneath, can feel like an alien planet, especially if it's a place with a strong attachment to your own personal history. As a young kid you'd never imagine that one day you see the place in that way.

1668819888138.png

1668819907880.png

1668819920421.png

oldngray

nowhere special
I consider myself lucky that my line of work affords me the opportunity to see places in these liminal states on a fairly regular basis. Often a place doesn't even necessarily have to be closed or abandoned to incite these feelings. A desolate rooftop, even above what would be a lively store underneath, can feel like an alien planet, especially if it's a place with a strong attachment to your own personal history. As a young kid you'd never imagine that one day you see the place in that way.

View attachment 408272

View attachment 408273

View attachment 408274
Some of those places are so far gone they are unsafe to walk around in.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus

View attachment 408272

View attachment 408273

View attachment 408274
I think I’m just more fascinated by the oldness of some structures and what was or what could be. More of what was.

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
One of the last road trips I went on with my Dad included a visit to a ghost town. Elkhorn, MT. Half of the cemetary residents got there in a 4 month period in 1889 from a Cholera outbreak
0427131351.jpg

Attachments

• 0427131350.jpg
    0427131350.jpg
    484.7 KB · Views: 37
Last edited: