Access codes

35years

Gravy route
If you are not dealing with the ghetto, put it by the gate.
Conveniently loose all your gate codes.
Won't even consider using a garage or door code...liability issues for the driver.
Runner gunner fill in drivers won't bother with bringing it all the way up to the house.
Why should I?

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
If you are not dealing with the ghetto, put it by the gate.
Conveniently loose all your gate codes.
Won't even consider using a garage or door code...liability issues for the driver.
Runner gunner fill in drivers won't bother with bringing it all the way up to the house.
Why should I?
Leaving it by the gate in the rain is what Fed Ex, On Trac and the Post Office do.

If the customer has provided UPS with the code to their gate...as many of my customers have done over the last 29 years...I will open the gate and leave the package on the porch or in the garage. That level of service is what sets us apart fron other carriers.

What the runner gunners might do when I am on vacation is none of my concern. And since I have a sought-after rural route, the guy who fills in for me bumps other drivers off of it and he takes customer service as seriously as I do.

DumbTruckDriver

Allergic to cardboard.
Leaving it by the gate in the rain is what Fed Ex, On Trac and the Post Office do.

If the customer has provided UPS with the code to their gate...as many of my customers have done over the last 29 years...I will open the gate and leave the package on the porch or in the garage. That level of service is what sets us apart fron other carriers.

What the runner gunners might do when I am on vacation is none of my concern. And since I have a sought-after rural route, the guy who fills in for me bumps other drivers off of it and he takes customer service as seriously as I do.
We have guys like that who pretend to not know how to access the codes in the DIAD.

35years

Gravy route
That's what bags are for.
A closed gate to me says "respect my privacy by not entering" or "don't let my dog out of the yard by opening it"
Ever seen a dog escape when the gate is opened? I have.
Ever see a customer complaint that the driver entered my garage? I have.
Even one that implied the driver would be shot if he entered again.
Another that said they would sue UPS if his dog was hit because the driver entered the driveway.
And if something goes missing, the cops first question will be "who has the code?"
If you want the package at the door, leave the gate open.
This is not an unreasonable level of service.

Last edited:

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
A closed gate to me says "respect my privacy by not entering" or "don't let my dog out of the yard by opening it"
Another that said they would sue UPS if his dog was hit because the driver entered the driveway.
And if something goes missing, the cops first question will be "who has the code?"
Your concerns would be valid in regards to a manually opened gate, but If a customer provides us with the code to an electric gate they are implicitly granting us permission to open that gate and to access their property for the purposes of delivering their package. And in a case of theft, Telematics would show the exact amount of time we were parked on the property.

Cementups

Box Monkey
Forget codes. I have a ring full of keys to different businesses and apartment complexes on my area. The previous driver of my route is ticked about it too because he asked several of the places for keys before and was denied. I never asked, they were just given to me.

NXA

Forget codes. I have a ring full of keys to different businesses and apartment complexes on my area. The previous driver of my route is ticked about it too because he asked several of the places for keys before and was denied. I never asked, they were just given to me.
You mean fobs, right? Do people still use keys?

JL 0513

Yet these people have pkgs shipped to their house.

MC4YOU2

Wherever I see Trump, it smells like he's Putin.
I used to store my list in my phone also, and it's great, but after having a phone go belly up on road and not being able to access the codes, I learned to keep a second copy on the back of the bulkhead. I just used a sharpie for that, as I only had a half dozen or so.

The diad is also great for codes, so long as the info isn't used to skimp on service. If that became an issue, I just stopped updating the info. More than one way to get the point across.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I used to store my list in my phone also, and it's great, but after having a phone go belly up on road and not being able to access the codes, I learned to keep a second copy on the back of the bulkhead. I just used a sharpie for that, as I only had a half dozen or so.

The diad is also great for codes, so long as the info isn't used to skimp on service. If that became an issue, I just stopped updating the info. More than one way to get the point across.

How would the access codes be used (or not used) to skimp on service?

MC4YOU2

Wherever I see Trump, it smells like he's Putin.
I had an apt house with about 50 indoor units that you had to either call each resident on the phone outside or use a keycode. It was considered safe to dr at each room, if you could get in.
Had a driver that would just dr their stuff like the mailman, in the foyer by the mailboxes.