accident in feeder

busterbrownlady

I have had two accidents in 7 months on feeder. First was I scratched the trailer (and yes I was honest and reported it), recvd warning letter for the scratch. Second one just happened in Atlanta. Its a she said he said deal. I moved into right lane, secured lane and another driver came over on me. It tore his car up. Police officer showed up, says its my fault because the car must have been in my blind spot. Police officer gave me a ticket for improper lane change. Keep in mind, no witnesses! I drove back from Atlanta to my bldg. (4 hr drive), filled out paper work, alcohol and drug test. Was told I was being pulled out of service but could work pre and reload. Recd phone call the next night (Friday) that I was to be in the managers office at 330p Monday and that I could not work preload. I suspect I am about to be fired. Has anyone came across a situation like this. Is this normal process and will I get my job back?

In the central region we used to have a 4400 dollar and over accident result in termination. In the new contract that was taken out. I'm suspecting they think you could have been dishonest or the other person went to the hospital.

busterbrownlady

Im sure it was over 4400. The other person left with the wrecker. If he went to the hospital then it was after he had told me and I would imagine the police officer. What are the chances I will get my job back? I am on good terms with both Union and UPS management. I am not a trouble maker at work. I have been with company for 22 years.

The only crashes that have resulted in termination here are the unreported ones. We have one driver with over a bakers dozen on his record and he's still driving.

As always make sure you have representation never sign anything in relation to termination/resignation.

trickpony1

If the company had any dignity and respect, they may fire you but reduce it to a three day suspension when the drug test comes back negative.
I have known that to happen.
By doing this, the company appears to have disciplined you in case the other party decides to sue.

I do find it truly amazing that the company doesn't trust us but they continue to give us the keys to the tractor everyday.....

Quigley

i dont beleive you will be fired. As long as you were honest about everything. If they do fire you the panel will get you your job back.

busterbrownlady

Thank you everyone. I called them as soon as I stopped the truck, while state trooper was there and after state trooper left.
Also, I checked as I was approaching to get over, looked in 3 mirrors , keep eye out on three mirrors as I was getting over. I had just got into lane, glanced into my left mirror when it felt like I was being pushed over. Atlanta traffic is one if the worse areas when it comes to traffic and cars coming over. Matter of fact after I got back on interstate I had two cars do to me what I feel this driver was trying to do . His lane was congested and he saw an opening in my lane. He thought he had enough room to pull in front of me. His damage was from the drivers side down to the rear bumper. My lug nuts dug into the side of his car and pretty much rip the sheet metal. My front bumper was scraped and the bottom stair was dented in

Sent using BrownCafe App

BakerMayfield2018

Fight the power.
Thank you everyone. I called them as soon as I stopped the truck, while state trooper was there and after state trooper left.
Also, I checked as I was approaching to get over, looked in 3 mirrors , keep eye out on three mirrors as I was getting over. I had just got into lane, glanced into my left mirror when it felt like I was being pushed over. Atlanta traffic is one if the worse areas when it comes to traffic and cars coming over. Matter of fact after I got back on interstate I had two cars do to me what I feel this driver was trying to do . His lane was congested and he saw an opening in my lane. He thought he had enough room to pull in front of me. His damage was from the drivers side down to the rear bumper. My lug nuts dug into the side of his car and pretty much rip the sheet metal. My front bumper was scraped and the bottom stair was dented in.

Sent using BrownCafe App
This is exactly why I didn't singh feeder bid. That and the fact that I live in a bad winter snow belt area, and driving themin pitch dark in a snowstorm scares the bejesus out of me.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Im sure it was over 4400. The other person left with the wrecker. If he went to the hospital then it was after he had told me and I would imagine the police officer. What are the chances I will get my job back? I am on good terms with both Union and UPS management. I am not a trouble maker at work. I have been with company for 22 years.
Based on what I've seen around here you will be fine. Be careful out there.

busterbrownlady

When this is all over, I'm thinking I will buy me a dash cam. The way things are, everyone needs one in their personal car as well

Sent using BrownCafe App

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
Two accidents in 7 months puts you at the top of somebody's list. As a feeder driver you know the chances are if we have an accident on the road, it has potential to cost the company millions in a lawsuit. I believe you're past the warning letter stage. Possibly a suspension this time. you know how things go, tho. Things can get political at times. If you're managements pet, maybe nothing at all. We had a guy who crossed the picket line during the strike who totaled 2 tractors and kept working. Watch your p's and q's from here on out. Double and triple check that coupling. When in doubt, get out and eyeball to see if that dolly's not high hooking. I wish you the best.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
I have had two accidents in 7 months on feeder.

Im sure it was over 4400. The other person left with the wrecker. What are the chances I will get my job back? I have been with company for 22 years.

Your seniority will help you.

2 accidents in 7 months.... they are going to beat you up a bit.

You need to let the company know, you are receptive to any further training.

Offering to become part of the safety committee.... would help. :wink2:

Stop hitting things.

Two accidents in 7 months puts you at the top of somebody's list. As a feeder driver you know the chances are if we have an accident on the road, it has potential to cost the company millions in a lawsuit. Watch your p's and q's from here on out. Double and triple check that coupling. When in doubt, get out and eyeball to see if that dolly's not high hooking. I wish you the best.

That is a voice of experience. Pay heed.

-Bug-