Any tips to get out of mud?

Rack em

Made the Podium
So it rained all day today and I was going down a dirt road that was very muddy. I ended up getting sucked over toward the side and got stuck pretty good. I tried rocking the car back and forth but didn't get very far. It would have been easier but there was no shovel in the car so I had to dig with a friggin ice scraper. I tried laying the chains down to get some more traction but they didn't help really at all.

After about 30 minutes of rocking back and forth my car just kept getting more sideways and my rear tires were right next to a field so I finally gave up. I saw a farm a little over a mile up the road so I jogged up there and luckily the guy was nice enough to grab a tractor and come pull me out. Otherwise I would have had to call the center for a tow and that means I would get charged with an accident.

So does anyone have some useful tips on how to get out of the mud once you get stuck?

Rack em

Made the Podium
If it was me I wouldn't go down that road if it's muddy
Hope that helps
The beginning of the road off the highway wasn't bad at all. It only got bad about 4 miles down the road and since I had only been down that road while it was dry, I didn't know it would be like that.

Rack em

Made the Podium
Well yeah now.... But I will eventually be in this situation again on a different road, so I would like to be better prepared

scooby0048

This page left intentionally blank
Well yeah now.... But I will eventually be in this situation again on a different road, so I would like to be better prepared

I like you so I won't be a smartass and tell you NOT to get stuck in the first place but if you do decide to go down those muddy roads, first try to stay in the middle where it's usually harder. Try to keep your accelerator input steady (don't let off and don't try to go faster) Momentum is your friend in this case.

I run alot of country routes here in Wyoming and most of them get super muddy like you describe. I carry 3 big ole tow straps and 4ft chain in my "go bag". Gotta remember though, I'm in Wyoming and everyone has 4x4 trucks so even if I get stuck, it's very rare that I would have to wait very long to get out.

Other than that, EC those roads.

wayfair

swollen member
All roads are different, if I go out blind on a route I wont know which roads are ok to go down...

I understand, trust me, I've been stuck 9 times.... was lucky to have a farmer or oil pumper get me out 3 of those times... A wrecker had to come to the others. Heck one time, the wrecker got stuck and had to call another to winch us both out...

here we have red clay and when it gets wet, it's slippier than snot, so now when I see red, EC

GenericUsername

Measure how wide the tires are that you would normally get stuck. Then cut a piece of 2x4 so it's quite a bit longer so you can gain some traction and without the piece of wood getting stuck under the tire. Secure to tire with either chain/bungee cord and there ya go.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
i've gotten out of mud by putting on some quick chains but that was on a feeder tractor. quick chains are just a small section of a tire chain that goes on in about a minute or so.

they sell a traction sheet at costco during the winter for 20 bucks. you could probably cut up a mudflap to do the same thing.

35years

Gravy route
Portable Tow Truck strips, they are quick and work in mud and ice.
Every center should supply them, or at least automotive...ours does.
They have saved UPS countless road calls.
41rY6BorkvL.jpg
61K5cHS2hrL._SL1000_.jpg
portable-tow-truck-an-emergency-tire-traction-strip-178.jpg