Area seniority

from looking at my locals supplement I can't find any language in regards to keeping seniority if job is eliminated.

Another problem is now other guys in irregs area where I'm at are filing grievances because they don't like the idea of dove tailing in my seniority.

scooby0048

This page left intentionally blank
from looking at my locals supplement I can't find any language in regards to keeping seniority if job is eliminated.

Another problem is now other guys in irregs area where I'm at are filing grievances because they don't like the idea of dove tailing in my seniority.

Look under article 38 National...change of operations. Do the guys in irregs have less seniority than you? If so, too damn bad, let em file grievances.

Look under article 38 National...change of operations. Do the guys in irregs have less seniority than you? If so, too damn bad, let em file grievances.

A lot of the guys in irregs have less than 2 yrs hire dates. It's about 45 of us in irregs area, :scared: so their filing grievances saying I should be at bottom of list. Bottom of 45 people is :censored2:ty from a standpoint of being transferred to their area because of change of operations ( automated sort)

What's sucks is when I got hired, it was into irregs, but when I passed sort test, company needed sorters for primary sort aisle. So they moved me and at that point I didn't know much. Now being transferred again. Cuz now they don't need sorters :confused:

Reason why I'm upset

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
What's up brothers

Ive been working at UPS souther cal local 396 part-time for 3 yrs as a sorter. But recently got transferred to irregs (bulk) because my building is replacing sorters with automated technology. My question is, what happens to my area seniority if I get transferred to irregs (bulk) because of this reason. Basically involuntary.

PT sups in my building used to use the myth of "belt" or "area" seniority to :censored2: senior people out of setup work and OT.

I would be pretty surprised if there's more than two or three maximum seniority lists in your area. My area has a PT seniority list and a FT seniority list (this is broken up by classification for 22.3s/package car/feeders but FT seniority carries across classification in my area). Some areas have a PT list/FT Package/FT Feeders/Combos break down but nothing anywhere near as specific as "area seniority." You need to read your supplement/rider and talk to a steward.

Most importantly, you need to make sure your skill pay carries. There's a precedent for employees coded as skilled (pickoff/sorter) keeping their skill pay when they transfer to an "unskilled" job in the building.

3 done 3 to go

In control of own destiny
Tell that to the one guy who just lost his rural route with 40 stops who had to come back up to our building since his truck parking spot just got moved 30 miles further away. He will now be running a route with over 100 stops or more. The company called it a change of operation and forced him off his route. A person got hired to run it who has been on the job 9 days...

On a side note though, Tell me why the OP could not cite the contract with his situation as a change of operations? His job was eliminated, he could most certainly be able to dovetail his seniority into another center or position.

He should of just followed his area. Yeah the 30 miles more sucks. They didn't force him, he let them.

scooby0048

This page left intentionally blank
He should of just followed his area. Yeah the 30 miles more sucks. They didn't force him, he let them.

They forced him.

He was already driving 70 miles one way in his own vehicle, off the clock, just to report to his truck. Add another 30 miles further that's a 100 miles EACH WAY. That's 3 hours of free driving each and every day never mind how long he out on route (up to 14 hrs) He owns a house and cannot just follow his work.

3 done 3 to go

In control of own destiny
They forced him.

He was already driving 70 miles one way in his own vehicle, off the clock, just to report to his truck. Add another 30 miles further that's a 100 miles EACH WAY. That's 3 hours of free driving each and every day never mind how long he out on route (up to 14 hrs) He owns a house and cannot just follow his work.

Ooo. I agree. That was bs. I wouldn't follow either.

BigDaddyO8a

What's up brothers

Ive been working at UPS souther cal local 396 part-time for 3 yrs as a sorter. But recently got transferred to irregs (bulk) because my building is replacing sorters with automated technology. My question is, what happens to my area seniority if I get transferred to irregs (bulk) because of this reason. Basically involuntary.