Asked To Come In On My Personal Day

BigBrown609

So yesterday was my son's bday and I was unable to take a personal day cause too many guys with more seniority had taken the day off. When I got to work there were at least 10 drivers getting sent home so I asked if I could have the day off since it was my son's bday. I was told they couldn't do it, sorry. Well a few weeks ago I got approved for a personal day for tomorrow since it's my daughter's first day of kindergarten. The same supervisor that told me he couldn't give me off for my son's bday comes up to me today and asked if I could come in tomorrow cause the center is gonna be busier than they had anticipated . He was able to ask with a straight face too. He said he'd try to get me Friday off instead. Try, couldn't even guarantee it lol.

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
They have to give you 7 days notice I believe if the day was approved and then not approved. One of the stewards on here can definitely let you know exactly. Jangles or Piedmont could probably give you the answer your looking for according to contract.

Orion Syndicate

90% or lose a limb. (limb is user choice!)
Any time I tried to take an option day and they denied it I just called in and gave the same reason I used for the request. They'd beg me to come in but as far as I'm concerned personal days aren't requests and I gave them a weeks heads up. Never got in trouble for it.

Sent using BrownCafe App

F

FrigidAdCorrector

I hate that they think it's okay to do stuff like that. I had the same thing happen to me last week. I gave you over a weeks notice. There has to be someone who can cover. If there isn't you should plan it out a little bit better..

Sent using BrownCafe App

Richard Harrow

Deplorable.
Your phone will ring this morning. Do the right thing and just let it go to voicemail. They don't need you anymore than they need anyone else, you should have at least that much figured out by now.

Z

ZQXC

Off on a Friday?
OK, and I'm the Queen of Freakin' England

2438326-laughing-hysterically.gif

joeboodog

good people drink good beer
Your phone will ring this morning. Do the right thing and just let it go to voicemail. They don't need you anymore than they need anyone else, you should have at least that much figured out by now.

And if you pick up by mistake, tell them you are on your second beer and ask them if they still want you to come in.

idrivethetruck

Slow & steady wins the race.
I've been asked to come in the last 2 personals I've been approved for. I told them both times that I'm sorry, but I have plans. If your personal day was approved, there is nothing your management can do to you. Enjoy your day off.

Z

ZQXC

Isn't it funny how you are absolutely worthless in their eyes............

until you want a day off.

My sup is on vacation this week. I just texted him and said "we could use some extra people today"

He replied,you think that is funny?

I said hell yes! you have no problem asking us to come in on vacation!

No reply!...lol

Packmule

One of the biggest problems with seniority rules workplaces is that it is the lower seniority people who have small children and generally need the most flexibility.
That's why, as a senior driver, I try to show a little consideration and keep my personals focused on things really important, not just a day off to drink beer.
As for this OP, if you have received prior approval for this day off stand your ground. That child will only have one day in her life that was their first day of kindergarten. There will always be another day at work.