Best Way To Handle Three Un-paid Days Off

Johnny Paycheck

Speak softly and carry a big stick.
I was hired early January, Was very clear with HR when I was hired that I had a late March event that I needed to attend and was told that was something to work out with my sup but it should be fine, brought it up to the Hub GM when we were introduced and was told "You work hard for me, I'll work hard for you." Asked my FT sup for the 27th and 28th of March off and he told me that was fine.

Now, I'm a loader and may be switching to sorter next week. Which obviously means that I get a new FT sup who has no idea about all this. I was talking about it to a guy who I played football with in high school and who is now a PT sup. Mentioned that I probably also needed the 26th of March off and that I needed to make sure the sorter sup was cool with it. His answer was "Just call-in. All three days." Apparently 3 days is one occurrence and you're allowed three occurrences and they reset every 90 days. Is this accurate? I'm Local 41 (Lenexa, Kansas Hub), if that matters. No negative consequences for 3 days?

Never missed a day. Never been late. Always load way above what they ask me to (in my hub, the expectation for everyone is 300 PPH.) I'm attending a military ceremony for my girlfriend, who is US Army Infantry and based in Fort Jackson, SC. I'm just kinda jumpy about it because somebody got fired for calling in 3 days at my old job. I would be calling in on Weds, Thurs, Fri. Any help would be great.

Last edited:

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
3 days off, you need a medical excuse. Or you would be considered no call, no show. Anywhere. You have a month to work it out with them.. Just be open and honest. Best of luck.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Just tell them I have this going on and won't be here these days. 3 days is a bit much I'd keep it to two if possible.

I'm a driver and my wife graduated college in the middle of peak. Were they happy no but you have to make sure they understand you're not asking for those days off. You are informing them ahead of time that you won't be there.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
Just tell them I have this going on and won't be here these days. 3 days is a bit much I'd keep it to two if possible.

I'm a driver and my wife graduated college in the middle of peak. Were they happy no but you have to make sure they understand you're not asking for those days off. You are informing them ahead of time that you won't be there.

Except for the fact that he might not even have seniority by late March.

Johnny Paycheck

Speak softly and carry a big stick.
Except for the fact that he might not even have seniority by late March.
My seniority date is March 3rd. My Sup buddy keeps telling me that an occurrence isn't a big deal and I won't even need a doctor's note. I would just like to have a job after I come back from spending $500 on a trip, ya know?

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
My seniority date is March 3rd. My Sup buddy keeps telling me that an occurrence isn't a big deal and I won't even need a doctor's note. I would just like to have a job after I come back from spending $500 on a trip, ya know?

Your area is 30/60 and not 30/90?

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
I get from your original post that your sup buddy is not your supervisor. Plus he's a PT sup. He has NO control over whether you get disciplined if you call in for 3 days. You will definitely need a doctor's note to return to work after 3 days of sick calls....your sup buddy is either ignorant or lying to you. Find your steward and sit down and talk to your FT sup and explain the situation.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I get from your original post that your sup buddy is not your supervisor. Plus he's a PT sup. He has NO control over whether you get disciplined if you call in for 3 days. You will definitely need a doctor's note to return to work after 3 days of sick calls....your sup buddy is either ignorant or lying to you. Find your steward and sit down and talk to your FT sup and explain the situation.
This guy ^^^^^^ is totally right, regardless of seniority, etc. Tell him/her the story as you told it here.

Ouch

You need to go to the hub manager over your sort. Sit down with him/her. Explain to them you have a military function to attend and I bet he/she will work it out with you. If that doesn't work sit down with your steward and explain to him/her what's going on and follow the instructions given to you by the steward. Make sure you get it in writing if your manager tells you that youcan have off. Or have your steward as a witness in the office with you. Funny how they forget they approve days off. CYA.

HBGPreloader

Read your contract and talk to your shop steward to see what your local supplement states.
We had one guy do a no-call/no-show for 5 days and he back to work.

mjjlohn

Notify them and if they don't approve get, just call in. Back when I was preloaded I had exams and they wouldn't give me days off to study. Tried the talk route, and they never would approve it. Just called in for 5 days that week and they never said a word.