Big Changes Ahead in TSG

eXpendableTSG

Nice.

Everyone: Read it one more time.

Do you have any other info about cuts in your district?

Nope. The meeting is tomorrow morning. I should have some info by then. I can't even say for certain that there will be layoffs. All I know is the last time we had a meeting were every TSG person in the district needed to be on the conference call at the same time, they dissolved a region help desk and cut back TSG staff by 20%.

ImpactedTSG

Yep. I guess that we will find out more tomorrow. I'll tell you one thing... if I ever see J Bevis walking down the street, I would kick him straight in the nuts. Come to think of it, he would just shield his nuts with the sack of nuts he holds from his management team. They do nothing to show corporate what fools they are for believing in J Bevis and his magical reports.
Sorry to hear this is still going on three years after the big announcement when I got downsized. UPS is very similar to Liberalism. If you do something and it doesn't work, then you just haven't been able to do enough of it. Obviously the cut backs didn't help the last time so keep cutting and cutting. The writing has been on the wall for years. Anyone that stuck around should not be surprised that this is happening again.

pretzel_man

Yep. I guess that we will find out more tomorrow. I'll tell you one thing... if I ever see J Bevis walking down the street, I would kick him straight in the nuts. Come to think of it, he would just shield his nuts with the sack of nuts he holds from his management team. They do nothing to show corporate what fools they are for believing in J Bevis and his magical reports.

The man had the guts to analyze TSG costs throughout UPS. He asked why some regions and districts spent significantly more money per PC than other without measurable improvement in reliability, etc.

He used that information to reduce TSG cost significantly. Many have warned as you have that the world would come crashing down.

System reliability is no poorer. Deployments still happen. Things are still working. Where is the catastrophe?

Yes, its a little harder to get TSG help for unplanned work. That's a small problem cmpared to the savings generated.

P-Man

Brainiac

The problem with the "1 tech per 100 pcs" formula is that one size doesnt fit all. For instance two buildings each with 100 pcs but one has only a reload and the other runs 3 sorts. Using this formula each building only gets one tech. The one building would go with out a tech for almost two sorts.

This also doesnt take into consideration all the other equipment TSG supports and that each building is different. For instance some Air Hubs have hundreds of Tech10s, other buildings have TSG supported Dimensional Wieghing Units on all thier primary doors none of these are counted as equipment. The types of buildings that this formula might work would be in a General Office Site or Buildings with just one sort or reload.

It does not make any sense to make such large sweeping comparisions with no actual time studies performed nor considerations for the differences in supported equipment.

pretzel_man

The problem with the "1 tech per 100 pcs" formula is that one size doesnt fit all. For instance two buildings each with 100 pcs but one has only a reload and the other runs 3 sorts. Using this formula each building only gets one tech. The one building would go with out a tech for almost two sorts.

This also doesnt take into consideration all the other equipment TSG supports and that each building is different. For instance some Air Hubs have hundreds of Tech10s, other buildings have TSG supported Dimensional Wieghing Units on all thier primary doors none of these are counted as equipment. The types of buildings that this formula might work would be in a General Office Site or Buildings with just one sort or reload.

It does not make any sense to make such large sweeping comparisions with no actual time studies performed nor considerations for the differences in supported equipment.

Of course it does not work at a building level.

How about at a district level? Region level? When you roll information up like that, compensating variables compensate.

What he found was wide differences between regions and districts. In the meeting I was in initially, all he did was present his findings and asked the organizations to ask why.

There was no compelling reason for districts and regions to be hugely different. He never said it applied to each building.

P-Man

a1cheech

5 techs laid off in our district. We have seen massive cuts in TSG over the last few years. The only problem I have with it is that every year they want to cut more. We are down to about 1 tech per building, and what concerns me more is what is happening to our customer's tech needs.

33in2togo

As a sales person I am pretty comfortable reviewing most technology needs a customer may have. I am able to solve many of their minor issues. The problem occurs when the more complicated solutions are needed. The last two years we feel like we are on an island with limited access to TSG or CSG (Customer Solutions Group). Customers are fine with calling the help desk but they are not satisfied with lack of in person help when a true problem happens. I believe this is truly affecting our business in a negative way. Customers often came to us knowing we would be able to solve the issue. Now they simply have a back up plan. (Competitor).

As a sales person I am pretty comfortable reviewing most technology needs a customer may have. I am able to solve many of their minor issues. The problem occurs when the more complicated solutions are needed. The last two years we feel like we are on an island with limited access to TSG or CSG (Customer Solutions Group). Customers are fine with calling the help desk but they are not satisfied with lack of in person help when a true problem happens. I believe this is truly affecting our business in a negative way. Customers often came to us knowing we would be able to solve the issue. Now they simply have a back up plan. (Competitor).

It seems like there was a method to the madness some 5 years ago when all customers had UPS-owned hardware. The goal basically was to get customers on Worldship no matter what the cost. UPS was installing new systems as fast as ever. Now that they have everyone on Worldship, they want the customers moving onto their own hardware to reduce the support costs back down to acceptable levels. Well thought out plan if you really take a good look. But I am guessing on-site support is almost non-existant now, in favor of phone support.

My question is about the custom solution customers. You know, the ones with batch processing, bar-code scanners, automation, db integration, etc. Who supports them now and who implements custom solutions for new customers? If I remember correctly, there were a couple different groups (other than TSG) that used to do that type of work but may not exist anymore.

5 techs laid off in our district. We have seen massive cuts in TSG over the last few years. The only problem I have with it is that every year they want to cut more. We are down to about 1 tech per building, and what concerns me more is what is happening to our customer's tech needs.

Is that the number of techs to be laid off this year in your district? Wow, TSG really is on its way out the door. Just wondering though, is your district being consolidated with another district? And screw the customers, worry about yourself at this point.

BTW - what district are you in?

5 this year?
are you in a consolidated district?

A reconsolidated consolidation that took place last year for TSG/PE, with assurance from the TSG Manager that the new geo-district was ok as far as TSG went earlier this month. The cut is basically 25% of staff, based on Y.O.S, which is pretty funny since TSG requires some technical skill. But then again, a Skills based evaluation would take much more time right? Then however would the PMT reports get analyzed properly?!
Seriously the writing has been on the wall, progressively getting bolder and larger as the reporting barrage on PMT related events unfolded. Whenever you take a technical position that responds as required to problems, and expect them to effectively plan those problems in advance, it becomes a no win situation.
Internal and external customers will continue to suffer with delayed service as technicians are continually examined under a larger microscope. I am sure there were a few bad apples that caused the problem initially, and all TSG will suffer ever more because of it…

ImpactedTSG

The cut is basically 25% of staff, based on Y.O.S, which is pretty funny since TSG requires some technical skill.
You were probably all for the length of service thing three years ago when you were above the Impacted line right? Anyone that stayed after the first round of cuts and let their skills waste away should not be too surprised. This is the new UPS way. Repeat every January as needed.

pkgdog

Yesterday I spent the day with my supervisor who i rarely see in my facility. My tsg sup spent the day sitting next to and joking with the BD manager all day long. On the phone in the next office was the poor OMS taking a beating from an angry customer because the customer had Worldship intergration problems due to a crashed pc. The BD and tsg sup simply told the OMS to have the customer call the helpdesk. After telling the customer to call the helpdesk during 5 different phone conversations where the customer screamed at the poor oms, the customer used its alternitive plan.....Fedex!!! I had nothing going on at all since theTSG responsibilities been limited to nothing at all, but to save a few bucks in mileage reimbursement, i couldn't help the customer. The result..... we lost over $3000 per day from this customer. 18 working days and there goes my salary. How's that for service and bd!!! I hope the folks who cut these jobs realize what a failure their choices can be.

You were probably all for the length of service thing three years ago when you were above the Impacted line right? Anyone that stayed after the first round of cuts and let their skills waste away should not be too surprised. This is the new UPS way. Repeat every January as needed.
Nope was impacted, returned and impacted again, some people just don't learn. I even went as far as to try improving my skills and service. But what do you need good skills for in TSG anyway? I mean, if the technician on duty never can fix your problem, you can always wait for the next one!
I guess eventually the people without the proper skills will be cut...

Yesterday I spent the day with my supervisor who i rarely see in my facility. My tsg sup spent the day sitting next to and joking with the BD manager all day long.
I hope your Sup at least checked on the reports a couple of time between jokes!
That seems to be the problems with UPS overall lately... Everything revolves around numbers, not the satisfaction of customers any longer. We all realize that cost savings is needed and efficiency needs to be improved.
Our internal customers can suffer with computer issues while they struggle on the phone with an inept Help Desk. Who apparently have to follow their handy dandy quick guide to PC troubleshooting, no matter what they hear from the other end of the phone. Then our external customers are suffering with issues like this.
See you could have just had your Supervisor or the BD rep call the customer and tell him he should have planned his PC Crash at a more convenient time!:knockedout:

pretzel_man

Nope was impacted, returned and impacted again, some people just don't learn. I even went as far as to try improving my skills and service. But what do you need good skills for in TSG anyway? I mean, if the technician on duty never can fix your problem, you can always wait for the next one!
I guess eventually the people without the proper skills will be cut...

I guess this just has not been my experience. Of course things have changed...

It used to be that if I had a problem with my PC or an application, I would walk up to TSG (or call them) and someone would come right away and help.

Now, I either call the help desk or log on asking for a service request. Someone calls me back in the appropriate amount of time (based on the severity.

Does this take longer? Absolutely. Is it as convenient? No.

The convenience was not worth the extra expense.

I continue to get attentive and skilled help from TSG.

From my perspective, the TSG changes have been a success story..

P-Man

bleedbrown99

There have man cut back in NC in our district they had a total of 20 folks tsg being the bulk of them.. Im not sure how far its going to be affected but im crossing my fingers.. Theey are even shuttin down out sunrise shift here..:biting: