Can anyone explain the retirement 20+ 30 thing or whatever it is to me?

margaritaville

Lets say your an air driver/hub employee and dont switch to fulltime til your 40. But been with the company since you were 20. In terms of retirement can u still retire at the same time as a fulltime driver who started driving in his 20s. Im just trying to understand this 20 + 30 retirement policy or whatever it is.

Random rambling: So i been working at UPS since 21 as an air driver. I live comfortably because i get called once a week atleast for top rate ground. Last year it was almost every day the second half the year. That may slow even more with all this new hiring. Basically i really enjoy my job as an on call driver. The hubs lame but driving is fun.

However, i can go fulltime now. But im being a pusillanimous because i dont want to lose all my senority and have no social life. Since all the fulltime drivers seem to hate their job when i love going out driving when im called. Since im an air driver, they are appreciative of me for even coming in and helping. If i go fulltime i will just be another slave. When im living comfortably now but making less per year than a fulltime driver.

And my pay is extremely inconsistant. I can make from 250 to 1600 dollars (after taxes) a week depending if they call me every day or not at all. But other than that i like air driving + ground help more since i can sleep in or not work or take vacation whenever i want.

JL 0513

Thanks for asking this. I've been curious as well. I've been with UPS since 29 and went driving last year at 34. When I hear 30 years to retire with full pension I know there's gotta be other ways for many of us who got a late start. I'm pretty sure I don't need to do this until 64 to get full retirement.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Thanks for asking this. I've been curious as well. I've been with UPS since 29 and went driving last year at 34. When I hear 30 years to retire with full pension I know there's gotta be other ways for many of us who got a late start. I'm pretty sure I don't need to do this until 64 to get full retirement.

Unfortunately, that is the sad reality. If you want the most pension $$ you will need to either drive a pkg car or feeder for 30 years (or more).

Sent using BrownCafe App

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
My local allows you to retire any time after either 55 or 57 (can't remember which at the moment on the road)and you're paid out approx $268 per month for every year of full time service

Sent from Droid 4 using Brown Cafe mobile app

saintrick

In the part time company pension and the UPS/IBT full time plan you combine service credit.

For example:
If you have 10 part time years and 20 full time years you have 30 years of combined service credit. Your 30 and out would be.

10/30 or 1/3 of the 30 and out part time.
and
20/30 or 2/3 of the 30 and out full time.

JL 0513

Unfortunately, that is the sad reality. If you want the most pension $$ you will need to either drive a pkg car or feeder for 30 years (or more).

Sent using BrownCafe App

So say you are forced to retire at 28 years, for example, is your pension significantly lower because you're missing 2 years? Or is it prorated evenly?

Anyone have some example figures?

ManInBrown

Im confused by posters saying you have to put in X number of years for pension. I just looked at the pension chart for my Local and you can retire anytime you want. Figure goes up for every year longer. There is a figure for 20 and out over 55

PT Car Washer

So say you are forced to retire at 28 years, for example, is your pension significantly lower because you're missing 2 years? Or is it prorated evenly?

Anyone have some example figures?
Unless you are normal retirement age, 65, you have to make the milestone marks, 25, 30, 35 or you receive the lower amount. I think.

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
Youll never do 30 years on this job nowadays anyways and UPS knows this. Youd be lucky to do 20 nowadays with how hard they have made it. Id go to 55 and get 20 fulltime in JL and call it a day and ride into the sunset before your crippled.