Can't do anything right

Package_Donkey14

milk was a bad choice
So here we go again.. Another example of no matter what you do you're doing it wrong. My area had a really bad freezing rain storm yesterday that left all the roads and walkways 1 big ice skating rink. My helper fell and hit her head walking back to the truck. I helped her up and got her back in the jump seat. She said she was fine and wanted to keep working. So we did a few more stops but I could tell something was bothering her. I asked her if she wanted medical attention and she said absolutely not. The conditions outside were getting worse so I made the decision to bring her back to her car and call it a day for her. She said she was scared to drive in the ice storm so she called her mom to come pick her up. I called the center and let them know that she fell but she said she was ok and wanted to work but I was not going to keep her in fear of another fall. I stay with her until her mother arrives and that was that....so I thought... Couple hours later my center manager calls me and ask's why he wasn't informed about my helpers concussion. Apparently her mother forced her to go to the hospital on the way home. I said I didn't know about the hospital visit and I told him I had called it in and told my on car what happened. The center manager then tells me to report to his office 8am Monday mourning. WTF?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Hindsight is 20/20 but you should have called the center immediately after she fell. My first thought reading your description of her condition after the fall was concussion. I hope that she is OK and that your center manager simply wants to review accident/injury reporting procedures with you but I am afraid that he will be trying to pursue discipline against you for failing to report the injury in a timely manner.

Package_Donkey14

milk was a bad choice
Hindsight is 20/20 but you should have called the center immediately after she fell. My first thought reading your description of her condition after the fall was concussion. I hope that she is OK and that your center manager simply wants to review accident/injury reporting procedures with you but I am afraid that he will be trying to pursue discipline against you for failing to report the injury in a timely manner.

It was about a 30 min gap in time between when she fell and when I made the decision that despite what she said she wanted to do, I wasn't going to keep her any longer.

oldngray

nowhere special
center manager just wants to cover his ass it looks like. You did about everything you could reasonably be expected to do in the situation but if UPS gets sued over it the center manager needs to pass the blame on to someone else - lucky you. Don't sweat it though no matter what BS the center manager throws at you. You did everything that could be reasonably expected in the situation. Everyone falls on ice and usually only your dignity is hurt (and maybe your butt). You aren't a doctor and you asked her if she was OK and she said she was.

Indecisi0n

You advised the office of the fall and offered her medical treatment which she declined. There was nothing more you could do.

Don't talk without a union rep and also demand they print the messages for that day.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
If he decides he's going to discipline you, make sure you have a steward in there and describe it just as you did here, especially the part about the time frame. I see nothing wrong in what you did if everything is as you described, no where did I see a lack of due diligence on your part.

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'
Your on car not letting Tim know in a timely manner about the fall is not your problem. I don't forsee any discipline coming your way as a result of your helpers fall, but as others have written, make sure you have your steward present Monday morning.
How were you to know she suffered a concussion? Maybe before peak next year all drivers should be trained in concussion protocol with the appropriate acronym to help us remember it.
Look at the bright side. You won't have to load your own package car Monday morning, as they should run your satellite out of the center.
See you on route. Is that pontoon still on the water?:balloon:

Indecisi0n

Your on car not letting Tim know in a timely manner about the fall is not your problem. I don't forsee any discipline coming your way as a result of your helpers fall, but as others have written, make sure you have your steward present Monday morning.
How were you to know she suffered a concussion? Maybe before peak next year all drivers should be trained in concussion protocol with the appropriate acronym to help us remember it.
Look at the bright side. You won't have to load your own package car Monday morning, as they should run your satellite out of the center.

If we were trained on a concussion acronym but then after suffering a concussion ourselves we forget it can we be disciplined?

Package_Donkey14

milk was a bad choice

Thats right! Earlier start means my 9.5 is up much sooner. Wooohooo! The Poon is in storage now, but you need to get your happy ass out there with me this summer! I'm not worried about Monday. The wife on the other hand is another story. lol

So here we go again.. Another example of no matter what you do you're doing it wrong. My area had a really bad freezing rain storm yesterday that left all the roads and walkways 1 big ice skating rink. My helper fell and hit her head walking back to the truck. I helped her up and got her back in the jump seat. She said she was fine and wanted to keep working. So we did a few more stops but I could tell something was bothering her. I asked her if she wanted medical attention and she said absolutely not. The conditions outside were getting worse so I made the decision to bring her back to her car and call it a day for her. She said she was scared to drive in the ice storm so she called her mom to come pick her up. I called the center and let them know that she fell but she said she was ok and wanted to work but I was not going to keep her in fear of another fall. I stay with her until her mother arrives and that was that....so I thought... Couple hours later my center manager calls me and ask's why he wasn't informed about my helpers concussion. Apparently her mother forced her to go to the hospital on the way home. I said I didn't know about the hospital visit and I told him I had called it in and told my on car what happened. The center manager then tells me to report to his office 8am Monday mourning. WTF?
Is she hot???

Ouch

Package donkey take a steward with you. I'm sure he just wants your report of what happened. You reported it, and I've never heard you say you where a doctor. Don't worry about it. I'm sure you will be fine.

1) She's an adult. You asked her if she was ok and she said yes.
2) You did due diligence by keeping an eye on her, determined that despite her claims she should be protected from further possible harm, and called and end to her day.
3) You then handed her off to another adult, a parent, and made them aware of the problem.
4) You brought all this to the attention of your management team.

Take a steward with you just because but you are free and clear because of your actions. If anything you'll be written up for not working the runner until death.