CLASSIC GROUND DRIVER

FedExer267

Our terminal looks like a junkyard of Ground trucks. Caved in sides, missing good chunk of the roof, front ends that are non existent all due to drivers falling asleep or driving like idiots. The biggest difference between Ground, Express, and UPS is hourly pay. If Ground drivers got a hourly wage and OT you would see less of this because they would not be blasting through their routes to get done ASAP to feel like they made a buck. The other difference is Express and UPS follow DOT rules have to take lunches and breaks that does not happen with most at Ground. We have guys who have to get all the way back to the first town they were in to do pickups by 430 because a sales rep has promised the moon. The pick up happens because they are not taken lunches or breaks. If they did the Contractor would get fined for late pick ups. So is FedEx really setting realistic goals by putting this much on a driver that covers 4 to 6 zipcodes. Sounds like FedEx is very much part of the problem to those accidents that happen regularly.

Route 66

Slapped Upside-da-Head Member
All you guys gotta do is implement stuff like 'All Greedy Kiddies Love Money' and GOAL and these silly little accidents will come to an abrupt and permanent halt.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Uh, Ground is kind of known for having a lot of wrecks...especially OTR drivers. Their professional driving behavior(s) are also pretty legendary.

There is an Express guy locally who would put most of the Ground guys to shame. Speeds, parks on the wrong side of the road, blocks crosswalks, etc.

It will be fine

There is an Express guy locally who would put most of the Ground guys to shame. Speeds, parks on the wrong side of the road, blocks crosswalks, etc.
It's as if no company has a monopoly on questionable workers. The express guy that delivers to my house always pulls in my driveway nose first and leaves packages at the uncovered front door. Every other carrier leaves them at the covered side door which is actually closer to the street, express guy goes out of his way to leave packages unprotected from the elements.

bacha29

Spot on 267: Don't forget about the fact that given the "boulder in a box" and stolen truck freight a lot of those vans which are simply one ton or ton and a half chassis are going out overloaded. And as you say when they are paid on a perdiem basis it doesn't matter if they're out there 8 hours or 12, it all pays the same. Therefore the "oh well, it's not my truck" mentality prevails.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member

He's probably full of the Purple Promise, speeding to make his commitment times. Every station has a least one hero like this. The Kool-Aid trance runs deep for some.

bbsam

Staff member
upload_2016-1-23_21-59-29.jpeg

dvalleyjim

We just had one run through some signs and into a ditch. Found a cooler of beer with some empties and a bag of weed. Not that's how to do a route! Seriously, people that have to drink at work have a problem and need to seek help. If you want to drink do it at home and go to work sober. Just like DvalleyJ does!

FedExer267

We just had one run through some signs and into a ditch. Found a cooler of beer with some empties and a bag of weed. Not that's how to do a route! Seriously, people that have to drink at work have a problem and need to seek help. If you want to drink do it at home and go to work sober. Just like DvalleyJ does!
That's funny smoking pot and drinking beer to get thru the day..

FedExer267

The Ground driver that I see most often during the day starts before I do and is still on road when I am on my way home. There is no way that he could (legally) have a 2nd job.
Yes I agree. However it would surprise you how many do because they are told it doesn't count against the DOT hours. We had a driver a few years ago fall asleep and wrecked in a orchard when the paramedics showed up he did not want to go with them and he said he couldn't be late to his night job which went in the police report. Needless to say he lost his job at G.