Classic Upper Management Fail

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
The whole set-up is reliant on paying the "helpers" (the actual drivers) below market level wages and with the contractor model, the drivers wouldn't have a chance to organize against their "operator".

Outside of a monopsonistic labor market, how in the hell do you pay wages that are "below market level" without having turnover rates >100%?

Bailey4

That sounds like a whitewashing job to me Dano. Cheapest is not always best. There are many who don't look soley at price when they select goods or services. Especially, if what you are shipping really matters. I think fedex will hurt its reputation when it is all said and done. And that is hard to rebuild once undone.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Keep saying that, even as you're shown the door.

Give Massuh' Smith my regards, and tell him that the slaves are ready to harness his ass up so he can plow the fields. His "plantation" is about to experience some problems from the help.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
That sounds like a whitewashing job to me Dano. Cheapest is not always best. There are many who don't look soley at price when they select goods or services. Especially, if what you are shipping really matters. I think fedex will hurt its reputation when it is all said and done. And that is hard to rebuild once undone.

What does that have to do with the labor market? No one says that cheapest is best.

HomeDelivery

I'm seeing more and more HD drivers being "Fed Up" with the low pay scale... some are burning out & will just not care where they'll DR a package since contractors don't have to pay for a disputed claim anymore. Others are falsely coding 07 (customer not in; can't indirectly release the package) when it's a problem finding their address or it's really a misplot or the driver is just lazy to go 10-20 minutes out of their way.

Some are still being paid the same wages when I return to FT status in the summer & peak... I told them to negotiate with your boss for a raise or move in with a boss that pays better.

if the economy is better, i would see more of them moving on already, but it's not. I did see a few that did find greener pastures & have moved on, while others are looking at other ventures to supplement their meager incomes at HD by having a 2nd job after driving, others being a landlord, a few already are "old" and have pensions, etc...

Glorifiedpackmule

I ran across a first today. Delivered to a building where the Home Delivery driver refused to take a FedEx Ground pkg because it was on a "red label" He told the mailroom that it wasn't his to take. I laughed my a** off. I've never heard of that happening before. I took it. I usually don't touch Ground pkg's but I couldn't just leave that one there.

HomeDelivery

hmm, i had one that a residential customer called for a Ground driver to pick up, but was ignored for a whole week. I was delivering to that resi 2x already & wrote a note to call FedEx to have HD pick it up instead. So i did the following day & used a "calltag pickup" code to get credit for my contractor's stop.

did the same at a school; the barcode scanned & did the same type of code. they were frustrated that the Ground guy didn't pick this up yet <shrugs>

a hotel ask if i can take the Ground package sitting at the counter. How long since you called to have them pick it up? one day... i said if they don't show up in a week, i'll pick it up for them :sad-little: what's going on with Ground?

Glorifiedpackmule

hmm, i had one that a residential customer called for a Ground driver to pick up, but was ignored for a whole week. I was delivering to that resi 2x already & wrote a note to call FedEx to have HD pick it up instead. So i did the following day & used a "calltag pickup" code to get credit for my contractor's stop.

did the same at a school; the barcode scanned & did the same type of code. they were frustrated that the Ground guy didn't pick this up yet <shrugs>

a hotel ask if i can take the Ground package sitting at the counter. How long since you called to have them pick it up? one day... i said if they don't show up in a week, i'll pick it up for them :sad-little: what's going on with Ground?

So wait a second here... Home Delivery drivers aren't supposed to pick up Ground deliveries either?? That's news to me. I had no idea! Lmfao. Learn something new everyday, I guess.

bbsam

Staff member
I ran across a first today. Delivered to a building where the Home Delivery driver refused to take a FedEx Ground pkg because it was on a "red label" He told the mailroom that it wasn't his to take. I laughed my a** off. I've never heard of that happening before. I took it. I usually don't touch Ground pkg's but I couldn't just leave that one there.
HD is not yet authorized to make pickup and if he is not from a Co-Location (building with Ground and HD), he is absolutely correct. Sorry, Day, you are wrong.

bbsam

Staff member
So wait a second here... Home Delivery drivers aren't supposed to pick up Ground deliveries either?? That's news to me. I had no idea! Lmfao. Learn something new everyday, I guess.
He could pick it up, but couldn't get paid for it, so why bother?

Glorifiedpackmule

Wow... That's mind blowing to me. I now understand how frustrating it must be an average customer to ask three damn people that wear identical uniforms and drive somewhat identical trucks to take a shipment. How stupid does that make this company look. People must think we (Ground, Home Delivery, and Express) are all out of our minds.

bbsam

Staff member
Wow... That's mind blowing to me. I now understand how frustrating it must be an average customer to ask three damn people that wear identical uniforms and drive somewhat identical trucks to take a shipment. How stupid does that make this company look. People must think we (Ground, Home Delivery, and Express) are all out of our minds.
I think Customer Service is out of their minds...and some customers aren't all that bright...and all the OPCO's are a bit confusing.

Ricochet1a

He could pick it up, but couldn't get paid for it, so why bother?

Ah yes, mercenary to the last.

This is the critical shortcoming of Fred's little scam. When service isn't something that is done as a matter of course, but rather only done when a direct payment is received, there will be problems.

Shippers may think they want the absolute lowest price for moving their package - but they will find out in due course that paying just to get their package moved without any real service behind it has a cost that far surpasses the financial savings of Ground.

If Fred can't solve this problem, it may be the critical weakness of his Ground scam.

bbsam

Staff member
Ah yes, mercenary to the last.

This is the critical shortcoming of Fred's little scam. When service isn't something that is done as a matter of course, but rather only done when a direct payment is received, there will be problems.

Shippers may think they want the absolute lowest price for moving their package - but they will find out in due course that paying just to get their package moved without any real service behind it has a cost that far surpasses the financial savings of Ground.

If Fred can't solve this problem, it may be the critical weakness of his Ground scam.
Maybe. Probably not and I don't think you believe it either.

Ricochet1a

I can state (personal observation and word of mouth), that customers DON'T know what to think of the fiasco that FedEx has become.

The large volume shippers know the game, but it is the infrequent, small volume shipper (that Express is allegedly trying to win back with the Couriers trying to get "sales leads"), that can't make heads or tails of it.

People who know that I worked as a Courier ask me frequently (something to the effect of..), "What the hell is going on with FedEx?".

I start by saying, "Do you want the long explanation or the short explanation?"

Most often they want the short explanation...

"FedEx has a division of services among many different operating companies to take advantage of differing labor law to either create the greatest profit potential for FedEx Corp, or to enable the top executives to continue to enjoy their perks while keeping the shareholders generally content. It is an example of crony capitalism at its worst."

They get a strange look on their face and try to formulate a question, but realize it isn't going to improve their understanding one bit and they give up.

Ricochet1a

Maybe. Probably not and I don't think you believe it either.

No, I DO believe it. When it comes to something as simple as picking up a small package - and someone IN A FEDEX UNIFORM refuses.... Customers get pissed.

If, if Ground was organized with the drivers wearing NON-FedEx uniforms, then the customers would have some reason to suspect what they are being told is "valid".

Seeing someone come into their place of business, wearing a FedEx uniform, delivering "FedEx" shipments - THEN telling them that they can't touch a particular piece because it is from another opco....

Customers get pissed, and they start looking for alternatives. I've seen it first hand and I've had my ear chewed off from people who know I used to work for that company.

bbsam

Staff member
I can state (personal observation and word of mouth), that customers DON'T know what to think of the fiasco that FedEx has become.

The large volume shippers know the game, but it is the infrequent, small volume shipper (that Express is allegedly trying to win back with the Couriers trying to get "sales leads"), that can't make heads or tails of it.

People who know that I worked as a Courier ask me frequently (something to the effect of..), "What the hell is going on with FedEx?".

I start by saying, "Do you want the long explanation or the short explanation?"

Most often they want the short explanation...

"FedEx has a division of services among many different operating companies to take advantage of differing labor law to either create the greatest profit potential for FedEx Corp, or to enable the top executives to continue to enjoy their perks while keeping the shareholders generally content. It is an example of crony capitalism at its worst."

They get a strange look on their face and try to formulate a question, but realize it isn't going to improve their understanding one bit and they give up.
If I had heard you give that explanation, I would have thought you either had and agenda or you had gone slightly bonkers yourself. That might be the "strange look on their face".:peaceful: