Contract Rumors...

Girl_In_Brown

This is my biggest gripe too! My last vacation was in May when my kids were in school and my hubby had to work. My next ones are not until the end of January and February when guess what, my kids are in school. Sucks big time!

Indecisi0n

I talked to a few of my reps and from what I understand the union is saying with the money that UPS is currently raking in if they try and take ANYTHING from us its strike time. We are already being told to "prepare ourselves."

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I talked to a few of my reps and from what I understand the union is saying with the money that UPS is currently raking in if they try and take ANYTHING from us its strike time. We are already being told to "prepare ourselves."

I'm sure FedEx is already planning to absorb the additional volume and locking customers into long-term contracts.
There goes another 20,000 UPS Teamster jobs.

teamsterdan

as a 22.3 employee who works the pre-load with a bunch of "whiney part-timers" (i kid them they are a decent bunch) I tell em that their wage is gunna get capped @ $13 hr...........................

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
I'm sure FedEx is already planning to absorb the additional volume and locking customers into long-term contracts.

I'm not saying the company should give into all demands. They do have to stay profitable. However when they are making over 5billion a year the union also shouldn't even think about concessions. If we strike over this contract I would take a guess it's the company being greedy. If they want to do that to themselves well that's just stupid.

OptimusPrime

In RTW states, do non-union employees keep showing up for work? That would be brutal. "Hey, here's your 18 hour dispatch."

captw74

The only ones who are letting FedEx take our work is the greed of the share holders and management. You guys don't care about Service, just numbers. The advantage we have over FedEx is our availability to the customers. Every route you cut means a business is getting there packages later and later. The fact is we cost more then FedEx but people use us because we use to get to them earlier but if we get there before 5 that is ok with Ups. That is why we lose ground to FedEx

Last edited:

Packmule

Negotiations? I just came home from a proposal meeting. Agent said he doesn't turn in our thoughts until the 30th. Patience, my BC friend. Probably won't hear anything about negotiations until Christmas. Last contract was a fluke because the APWA was pressuring the union about the pension.

104Feeder

Phoenix Feeder
The APWA couldn't apply enough pressure to stop a bleeding paper cut. That was a Federal rule change that necessitated early negotiations last time.

captw74

To me I would not have concessions at all. The reason is they don't care what time I see my family. They don't care what the weather is , they will send you out no matter what. I went out in Snow storm in a state of emergency worked 7 1/2 , brought the truck back when it got too dangerous as did other drivers. I put myself at risk for packages.(there were power lines down and very slippery). So if you work you are guarantee 8 no matter what. So what does management do, they code 5 everyone without asking. Union grieved it and we got our money. When I said something to a supervisor about it he said the next time we will find 8 for us. they had no sympathy for me or my coworkers. They are relentless on us why should we give into them. And if I hear any manger say stop complaining and say you guys make 100k a year. Well I don't come close

DS

Fenderbender
Negotiations begin Sept 27, 2012. It's hoped that all non-economic issues can be settled by Dec 31, 2012 leaving money and benefits to be hashed out through the 1st half of 2013.

Look for contract updates around Feb or March 2013.

Hot issues: 9.5 language, discipline relating to telematics, Article 22.3 jobs

Retaining full (no weekly cost to employees) medical coverage.

I don't understand.Why drag this out till March?
They've had a long time to come up with a fair contract.
Your contract is up.The company is doing well.
Can someone explain to me why there's a delay?

bluehdmc

I don't understand.Why drag this out till March?
They've had a long time to come up with a fair contract.
Your contract is up.The company is doing well.
Can someone explain to me why there's a delay?

The contract is not up until July 31, 2013. There's no delay, the company doesn't want a strike, and neither do the teamsters. (I don't think anyone really wants one.)

jaker

trolling
The sad part about this in reality there will be a lot more crossing over the line if we do strike , the times have change people don't belive in the union as much as before and no money now a days will break people and family's quicker then before

brett636

The sad part about this in reality there will be a lot more crossing over the line if we do strike , the times have change people don't belive in the union as much as before and no money now a days will break people and family's quicker then before

I am not so sure about that. From a political standpoint I am usually completely opposite of the union, and am not its biggest fan at all, but if we were to strike(god forbid) you would not catch me crossing that picket line.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I am not so sure about that. From a political standpoint I am usually completely opposite of the union, and am not its biggest fan at all, but if we were to strike(god forbid) you would not catch me crossing that picket line.

I am very confident that a deal will be struck and a strike averted; however, if we do strike, I will not waste my time standing on a picket line--I have a friend who does lawn care who is always looking for help. This may surprise some of you but I would never even think of crossing a picket line. This does not mean that I would agree with or support a strike--it simply means that I would honor the picket line.

bbsam

Staff member
I think it's time the union took a forceful stand and if not demand more pay and benefits, the at least find a way to expedite the grrievance process so that the company can't run rough shod over the contract at will and for extended periods of time.

upsgrunt

I think it's time the union took a forceful stand and if not demand more pay and benefits, the at least find a way to expedite the grrievance process so that the company can't run rough shod over the contract at will and for extended periods of time.

Put your money where your mouth is and demand that your employer unionize. Hell, start a grass roots effort by offering your employees higher than required pay.