Customer concern

Their sign should say? The sign doesn't. It says what it says. You can't tell the marina what their policy as should be any more than telling ups what their policy should be. It is what it is

I'm not debating what they can put on their sign. I'm debating what is within their rights to do with a package that's not theirs to refuse REGARDLESS of what's on their sign. I'm also debating that a driver should know they don't have the right to refuse someone else's package and to just do so rather than follow established UPS policy on making SERVICE on said package and then be surprised to have a po'd customer call UPS is ironic.

kingOFchester

Why would I use NI1 when the receiver is standing right in front of me? The onus is on the consignee, not me, to make the proper arrangements prior to placing their order.

Why? Because I need to buy time to inform my SUP of the issue and for him to direct me on what to do. There is no option in the DIAD that is a perfect fit for this situation. Look at the time you wasted taking pictures, sending pictures, discussing with manager sups or whomever over this. My time is to valuable to be doing all of this. I have come to like the fact that UPS doesn't pay me to think. Keeps me out of trouble. I put all decisions I possibly could in the hands of those above me. Takes 2 seconds to sheet as NR1 or NI1. Perhaps 5 seconds after PCM to ask sup how that package should be handled.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Hey, I'd be right with you on not taking the box for a ride three days in a row. However I would make the service attempt for the customer. That's why I said put the marina number on the box and let the clerk handle it from there. But I also think you know better that the guy behind the counter doesn't have the right to RTS the pkg only to refuse to sign. You're not tossing it to the clerk is where I find fault.
I don't know what kind of backwards assed marina that is but if they charge anything remotely like what marinas I do have experience with charge then at the very friend'ing least they should take a delivery notice from you and stick it on my boat.

Those that can't grasp the idea of a rented space be it an apartment or a boat slip being the same are beyond my help.
Are you referring to customers or us (or is it me in particular)? Rent at most apartments are not cheap either but that doesn't mean that the office has to take packages. There is a big difference here and Dave has already established the parameters. The marina will not let him down to the slips. Period. You want to get pissy over nothing. We have access to most apartment buildings. We have some apt offices that will take pkgs and some that won't. It is what it is. yeldarb had the right idea.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Why? Because I need to buy time to inform my SUP of the issue and for him to direct me on what to do. There is no option in the DIAD that is a perfect fit for this situation. Look at the time you wasted taking pictures, sending pictures, discussing with manager sups or whomever over this. My time is to valuable to be doing all of this. I have come to like the fact that UPS doesn't pay me to think. Keeps me out of trouble. I put all decisions I possibly could in the hands of those above me. Takes 2 seconds to sheet as NR1 or NI1. Perhaps 5 seconds after PCM to ask sup how that package should be handled.

Taking and sending the pictures took less than 2 minutes. The phone call with the OMS was made while driving (wait...isn't that illegal?:wink2:) so no time wasted there. 2 minutes well spent.

The slips are very expensive so I agree it would be good customer service to extend the courtesy to accept packages.

When we (drivers) bring back packages with exception codes the clerk does not blindly RTS them---she will do research and RTS as a last resort; however, in the case of this marina, there is really no option for her than to RTS them (unless the consignee makes other arrangements).

I'll admit to being a little vague on the present day UPS label but hasn't it been mentioned numerous times on BC about "calling the number on the label" to make some sort of contact with the consignee to make service? Why should it be different here? The marina, doesn't have the right to RTS, only to refuse to sign. Your clerk should make the same attempt to make service just as with any other package. If the customer doesn't answer, doesn't make arrangements with the marina, doesn't Will Call, then our paid for service has been fulfilled and feel free to send the crap back. Tough nuts for them. But in this case NO attempt outside your first delivery attempt has been made. Service has not been fulfilled.

Jesus, I can't believe I've thrown two hours away on this on my day off. I'm in feeder. I don't give a friend. I'll get paid either way whether I move that box in one direction or two.

kingOFchester

Taking and sending the pictures took less than 2 minutes. The phone call with the OMS was made while driving (wait...isn't that illegal?:wink2:) so no time wasted there. 2 minutes well spent.

Not saying what you did is wrong. Just saying that is not the way I would handle it. Don't want to waste time, don't want to make a decision that UPS will inevitably tell me was the wrong decision.

Since you don't mind taking time and using your phone, why not just don't sheet package, call or text sup and ask what they want you to do with it. When you get direction fThen sheet as directed and you could even use DUP as not to be stealing time??

Are you referring to customers or us (or is it me in particular)? Rent at most apartments are not cheap either but that doesn't mean that the office has to take packages.
No, but an attempt to reach the customer would be made. The office doesn't have to take it BUT they also cannot RTS it. Service attempts will be made one way or another.
There is a big difference here and Dave has already established the parameters. The marina will not let him down to the slips. Period.
Fine, NI1, marina refuses to sign. Hand it to a clerk and let her send out a post card JUST LIKE ABOVE APARTMENT.

You want to get pissy over nothing.
I'm "pissy" over the lack of customer service and or common sense to make any further attempts on the package. The marina did not have the right to RTS, only to refuse to sign just like your hypothetical office. Any following service should be the same REGARDLESS of it being an Apt, boat slip, gated community, etc. Just because the first :censored2: the driver comes across won't sign doesn't mean the box is RTS'd. Fairly simple to grasp.
We have access to most apartment buildings. We have some apt offices that will take pkgs and some that won't. It is what it is.
yeldarb had the right idea.

I agree. I completely forgot making it Will Call. However the difference is the customer will get a service attempt unlike automatically RTS'ing just because the desk boy says so.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
I'll admit to being a little vague on the present day UPS label but hasn't it been mentioned numerous times on BC about "calling the number on the label" to make some sort of contact with the consignee to make service?The clerk can do that when they get the package. UPS doesn't pay my cell phone bill and until they do they don't get free access to my minutes. Why should it be different here? The marina, doesn't have the right to RTS, only to refuse to sign. Your clerk should make the same attempt to make service just as with any other package. If the customer doesn't answer, doesn't make arrangements with the marina, doesn't Will Call, then our paid for service has been fulfilled and feel free to send the crap back. Tough nuts for them. But in this case NO attempt outside your first delivery attempt has been made. Service has not been fulfilled.

Jesus, I can't believe I've thrown two hours away on this on my day off. I'm in feeder. I don't give a friend. I'll get paid either way whether I move that box in one direction or two.

You do GAF just as many of us do. As I do.

Borderline 9.5

Would it be out of line to use will call or future for this. We all know that customers track their packages and this would give them an opportunity to either pick it up or notify the marina. At least they will have the chance to get the package.

Shifting Contents

Most Help Needed
UPSTATE did the right thing. I can't send a package to a grocery store and expect them to hold it for me because I am a regular shopper and live down the street. Same thing.

Nope. DGAF. Completely wasted my time on this. I am just some old :censored2: who remembers making service on his customers packages. I'm a dinosaur waiting for the package meteor to put us all out of our misery. But as old as I am , and as high on the seniority list, I'll still be picking at the corpse when the "one attempt and done" drivers are whining about their unemployment checks.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
I agree. I completely forgot making it Will Call. However the difference is the customer will get a service attempt unlike automatically RTS'ing just because the desk boy says so.

Will call is the perfect answer. Maybe this discussion will be remembered in the future and that solution will come to mind. I know I will try to remember it. :happy-very:

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Nope. DGAF. Completely wasted my time on this. I am just some old :censored2: who remembers making service on his customers packages. I'm a dinosaur waiting for the package meteor to put us all out of our misery. But as old as I am , and as high on the seniority list, I'll still be picking at the corpse when the "one attempt and done" drivers are whining about their unemployment checks.
You are still younger than I am. :happy-very: I don't think it was a waste of time. I think we all learned something. And I don't think that this is the rule. More, the exception.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

You do GAF just as many of us do. As I do.

As do I; however, other than forcing the marina to accept the packages, there is little that I can do beyond sheeting the packages as refused and letting the clerk do her job. I have no problem calling customers but will not make an international call--they can do that at the center.

When I brought the first package back as refused and handed it to the clerk I told her that it was refused because the marina does not accept personal packages. It was then her decision whether to RTS it or post card it. Let's suppose she post cards it---where does she address it? To the marina? Boaters do not have their mail sent to the marina so I don't know what would happen to one of our post cards---would they hang on to it for the boater or would they toss it? She RTS'd and it, to be blunt, wanted to RTS the second one because the consignee was being a jerk about it.

UPSTATE did the right thing. I can't send a package to a grocery store and expect them to hold it for me because I am a regular shopper and live down the street. Same thing.

If you were spending an assload of money renting a cardboard box down at Shopco and the clerk behind the counter RTS'd your package without giving you a heads up or the driver fell into the same frame of mind and didn't follow established UPS procedures as well then you might see it different.

This wasn't a boater "sending a package down the street" just because he knows the address. Different thing.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

The driver did follow established UPS procedure. He went to the delivery address, sheeted the package and handed the DIAD to the customer, who then asked who it was for. When the driver told him the customer refused to accept delivery. The package was sheeted refused and brought back to the center for the clerk to process.

As do I; however, other than forcing the marina to accept the packages, there is little that I can do beyond sheeting the packages as refused and letting the clerk do her job. I have no problem calling customers but will not make an international call--they can do that at the center.

When I brought the first package back as refused and handed it to the clerk I told her that it was refused because the marina does not accept personal packages. It was then her decision whether to RTS it or post card it. Let's suppose she post cards it---where does she address it? To the marina? Boaters do not have their mail sent to the marina so I don't know what would happen to one of our post cards---would they hang on to it for the boater or would they toss it? She RTS'd and it, to be blunt, wanted to RTS the second one because the consignee was being a jerk about it.

Do we still contact the shipper, the real customer, and ask what they want to or can help in doing to make service on that box? I bet they might give half a :censored2: to keep their customer happy, not have to have the box RTS'd, have to reship it or hand out a refund to the customer.

Customer service on all levels folks. Bet everyone would GAF if it was our box. Just because some of us know better doesn't mean we let the others fail.

959Nanook

I don't know the nature of the boat basin. Some compare it to an apartment (I disagree). A comparison to campground campsites was made (better).

What about storage unit renters that address their packages to the business and the employee in the front office won't sign (they have always refused to sign in my experience if it was for a customer without prior approval).

The angle of the business having a right to "refuse" packages vs the right to "refuse to sign for" packages seems a little on the margin to me (it is their business address to do with as they please) but I can see the point of erring on the side of customer service when choosing between sheeting as Refused or NSP.