Death In Immediate Family.

I appreciate your condolences.

If I read this properly, as a PT, I get a total of 4 days. So looks like I go back in tonight.

A total of 4 COMPENSATED days. If you have a legitimate need for extra time you can work it out with your management team. If you're a good worker they'll help you out.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

My great grand parents were closer than my grand parents, so in my eyes, they are my grand parents.

First off, I am sorry for your loss.

Although great-grandparents are not specifically listed, I have to wonder if the term "grandparents" was meant to be all-inclusive.

BH is right---the fact that you consider your great-grandparents to be your grandparents is irrelevant and you telling your supervisor that one of your grandparents had passed away was in fact dishonest and fraudulent.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

No. Why would it be?

Perhaps for the same reason "grandchild" is listed but not great grandchild.

Could it be that the negotiators did not feel the need to specify beyond grandchild/parent as few if any employees covered by the NMA would have a great grandchild or parent?

Let's say there are 20 years between generations. An employee who is 25 could have an 85 y/o greatgrandparent---if this person were to pass away are we saying that he would have to take personal time to attend the funeral?

I have to think that the terms "grandparent" and "grandchild" are all-inclusive.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Do you think it possible that the word "grandparents" was meant to be all inclusive?

Im not routing against this person, but no I don't.
The list is very specific.

Members of the employee’s family means spouse, child, or step- child, grandchild, father, mother, brother, sister, grandparents, mother-in-law and father-in-law and step-parents.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I think it means all grandparents, and all grandchildren. But why is it a grey area, it shouldn't be? Maybe they need to get someone to write the contract with more specificity, so its not left to ponder. Im available, call me, LOL.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
I think it means all grandparents, and all grandchildren. But why is it a grey area, it shouldn't be? Maybe they need to get someone to write the contract with more specificity, so its not left to ponder. Im available, call me, LOL.

​Who wants to place a wager?

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Im not a big better, but it would be good to know for the future, how can we find out? Because at my building you ask five people, you will get five different answers. I guess call HR?

If the OP takes the high road like they said they would, perhaps we could get a ruling?

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
If the OP takes the high road like they said they would, perhaps we could get a ruling?

A couple of things: first, like all things UPS, there is much flexibility if you aren't on a 'hit list'. If you ARE, or even close to a 'hit list', the letter of the law will be strictly applied. If you have to ask...you're not on a 'hit list'. Second, I'm not a steward like you, Bubblehead, so my advice might be spotty, but I would cut my losses, get back to work and not mention another word about this. Be glad you got paid what you did, be glad no one found about and never mention another word about this. It's probably too late now, as you're already done with work, and I hope it went well. But this reminds me of a cheating spouse who is guilt-ridden, and decides to admit the wrong-doing to the other spouse. It NEVER ends well.

And ignore the haters here. It's what they do. There is ALWAYS a post like Gazelle, who is full of frustrations, and this is the only place they can release their inadequacies.

Sorry about your loss.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
A couple of things: first, like all things UPS, there is much flexibility if you aren't on a 'hit list'. If you ARE, or even close to a 'hit list', the letter of the law will be strictly applied. If you have to ask...you're not on a 'hit list'. Second, I'm not a steward like you, Bubblehead, so my advice might be spotty, but I would cut my losses, get back to work and not mention another word about this. Be glad you got paid what you did, be glad no one found about and never mention another word about this. It's probably too late now, as you're already done with work, and I hope it went well. But this reminds me of a cheating spouse who is guilt-ridden, and decides to admit the wrong-doing to the other spouse. It NEVER ends well.

And ignore the haters here. It's what they do. There is ALWAYS a post like Gazelle, who is full of frustrations, and this is the only place they can release their inadequacies.

Sorry about your loss.

I agree, the OP could very well get away with it.
Where I disagree is that if the OP went back to work tonight and was "forthright" with the "misunderstanding", the payroll entries could be corrected and there would be no foul.
I don't see the reward being worth the risk and it's not too late get on the right side of the issue.
​Pleading ignorance, after the fact, is a much harder row to hoe.

tomuchdrama

My 11yr nephew was taken from us on new years day 2004 (car wreck).No funeral pay for this,but feeder dept let me take off the week an just told me take what i needed for this.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Where I disagree is that if the OP went back to work tonight and was "forthright" with the "misunderstanding", the payroll entries could be corrected and there would be no foul.
I don't see the reward being worth the risk and it's not too late get on the right side of the issue.

For all we know he may not have "gotten away with anything" as there seems to be confusion as to whether the terms "grandchild" and "grandparent" are meant to be exclusive or inclusive.

I guess I could call my BA and ask for his interpretation but that's all that it would be---his interpretation.

Is there any way to find out with certainty what the intent of the terms in question is?

Gazelle

Race me!

Sorry about your loss.

I am not frustrated at all. I'm just not a fan of people who say that they are well trusted, but knowingly do something wrong because they think they are entitled to it.

Don't come on a public forum if you can't take the heat.

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...

Understood. I'm a big believer in being a straight forward person. That said, if I went back to admit this, I know for a fact that I would be walked out. It kind of depends how your relationship with management is. Obviously the spirit of this clause is what's important, but you know who we're dealing with here. But I agree, make it right if that's possible.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
For all we know he may not have "gotten away with anything" as there seems to be confusion as to whether the terms "grandchild" and "grandparent" are meant to be exclusive or inclusive.

I guess I could call my BA and ask for his interpretation but that's all that it would be---his interpretation.

Is there any way to find out with certainty what the intent of the terms in question is?

Keep reaching if you want.
I'm still taking wagers if your interested?
I am not confused at all.
The terms "grandchild" and "grandparent" include grandchildren and grandparents and exclude everybody else.

Seriously Dave, if you want to make a significant wager, I will get the answer.
Then again, you are a known welcher?