DIAD 5

rod

Retired 22 years
I use my DIAD pouch all the time. I hang it on my ATV to haul tools in when I'm working away from the garage:happy2: Never did use it at work:peaceful:

CRASH501

ok everybody,

by now most of the package drivers in the country are probably using diad 4. I'm sure by now, ups is probably designing the next version, diad 5. As the people who actually will use this thing, what improvements (besides getting rid of the shift key?:hammer: ) would you like to see?
The post office has a great feature on theirs.
.a 2 mega pixel camera to snap a photo of lets just say those we dont trust a signature alone on .......thum prints are too personal

browniehound

1st off I apologize for bringing up this mold thread. It's just that tomorrow we are actually going to the DIAD 4.

Not only that we have split our ctr into two. I'm going to the new building. Not only are the building and DIAD new to me. I get a new PC and a new preloader all in the same day.

... it's gonna be so much fun. Just as peak is starting to get underway. oh joy...

I pitty that you are entering peak and learning DIAD 4. It took me 2 years to master the Alpha/Numeric keys. You will be struggling to type in addresses and stinks that you will be doing this for 300+ stops.

Are you on EDD yet? If you are, this will aleve some of the typing pain, lol!

Cementups

Box Monkey
Diad pouches are mandatory. Hmmmmmmm. Don't use one, never have. .

I actually tried to use a DIAD ouch a few times but got sick of fishing around for hte opening. Then I tried the clip adn that just got in the way of my seatbelt. Finally I just leave it in the truck. I mentioned that to my boss. He just told me he didn't want to hear that.

SmithBarney

When I had mine, I used the diad 3 pouch nice and big, some tried the new "hard Pouch"
but they were too tight.. I could never get it to clip or unclip with one hand...

New Englander

We all use our old diad clips and hang the new one by the handle strap. The new clip design on the new diad was a major design flaw. Who on earth thought that was going to be efficient? A half inch wide target area. lol

rossco

i started last year and have only used the diad 4 with the clip and i love it and never have a problem getting it on the clip without looking . one day i forgot my clip and someone gave me a diad 3 clip and i couldnt imagine how you guys used diad 3 clip just by hanging it on the strap. also i i like the diad 4 typing system. during peak last year out building gave our driver helpers diad 3's and i was struggling trying to show the guy how to use the thing. i can type on diad 4 without even looking, but im young and adjust to computers easily. i definately wouldnt want to go to the diad 3 typing design

Billy

I bet the next generation DIAD will be able to track even our steps to and from the stop, like a daily time study. My truck has sensors to track the trucks speed, gears, seatbelt use, and bulkhead door now. We do not use this system yet, but I know it's coming since it's used in parts of Maryland now.

Someone was saying they want to have a "duplicate" button on their board...don't you have the find bar code soft key? Where you only type in the last 4 #'s of the tracking # and it pulls it up.

buttere

Our diads have gps which tracks our movement throughout the day. Management can pull up a map on the computer that shows where every driver is in real time. Then zoom in on one specific driver and see where he is at.

mattwtrs

Retired Senior Member
We all use our old diad clips and hang the new one by the handle strap. The new clip design on the new diad was a major design flaw. Who on earth thought that was going to be efficient? A half inch wide target area. lol

I can think of 1 very important thing that has a half inch wide target area and you can probably hit it even in the dark!

alexfo7o

This is actually very good thread...over 9.5 has some great ideas...
imagine if it had a cell phone in it? talking into that speaker thing would be humiliating
Or holding it to your ear......:geeky:
that would be a fashion statement. oh yeah and smaller altought I am not a driver in the center I am from I have been a helper....

DS

Fenderbender
diaddude musta got fired
I would like to be able to edit a completed stop
I would like to kill the genius that thought up the shift key
this is still a good thread

pretzel_man

diaddude musta got fired
I would like to be able to edit a completed stop
I would like to kill the genius that thought up the shift key
this is still a good thread

Based on the presentations we recently recieved, editing a completed stop will not come back.

There will be no shift key however. That's decided. Keep in mind that because of that the keys will be smaller.

P-Man

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
How about being able to download different sounds. For instance, when I scan, I want it to sound like I'm actually firing a real gun or cannon. Maybe we can make it sound like the lasers I hear from science fiction shows on TV.