DIAD 5

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
We were told that German authorities made UPS agree to the non edit. Something to do with the electronic signature in the DIAD.

That's fine if you are talking about a signature. What if you hit residential instead of commercial when you stop complete it. They get charged a different rate depending on what button I hit. Sometimes you go so fast you do it without thinking.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

That's fine if you are talking about a signature. What if you hit residential instead of commercial when you stop complete it. They get charged a different rate depending on what button I hit. Sometimes you go so fast you do it without thinking.

The consignee is charged when the pkg is shipped. If you hit commercial when it was shipped residential the shipper should receive a refund of the difference or should be charged the difference if it were shipped commercial and you hit residential. I don't know if this actually happens or if they go by the original charge. This would also apply to ASDs for NDA or 2DA where the shipper put LTR or PAK and you enter the actual weight or for changing a pkg to SIG REQ or any other changes to the 1Z.

The consignee is charged when the pkg is shipped. If you hit commercial when it was shipped residential the shipper should receive a refund of the difference or should be charged the difference if it were shipped commercial and you hit residential. I don't know if this actually happens or if they go by the original charge. This would also apply to ASDs for NDA or 2DA where the shipper put LTR or PAK and you enter the actual weight or for changing a pkg to SIG REQ or any other changes to the 1Z.
I had one shipper tell me that she had been back charged for a resi when her customer said it was com. She called them gritched about it and they removed the charge. She operates a non-official commercial counter.

10damon

Seriously though, they need to move the signature key. If i had a nickel for everytime a customer said,"this isnt writing" because their thumb hit it when they were signing. Enough already!!! Did any one say ipod dock yet?

DiadDude

diaddude musta got fired
I would like to be able to edit a completed stop
I would like to kill the genius that thought up the shift key
this is still a good thread

Nope, I'm still lurking here.

• Shifting for alpha/numeric is out for DIAD 5
  • You'll likely have a "chorded shift" (two key combination) for symbols like . / -
  • If you want to edit completed stops, you need to move. That stuff is possible in some countries and not others. I'm not sure what determines if you can do it or not, but since I've been @ ups, it's been off for the US.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
As the original poster, its cool to see my two and a half year old thread brought back to life. Lots of ideas in here, hopefully a few of them will be used. I started delivering on paper, the DIAD is such a great improvement.

DiadDude

How about the key layout? Please tell me Diad 5 has qwerty.

I think we talked about this before. The DIAD has to be used comfortably and efficiently by people of all shapes and sizes. Everyone also wants the DIAD to be no bigger than it already is. In order to do QWERTY, you need a device with enough room to go 10 keys wide. A DIAD with 10 keys wide is gonna need to be too big just to accomodate a usable keyboard.

Cementups

Box Monkey
I would like the Diad to be about the size of my Blackberry with a bluetooth wireless ring scanner. Touch screen, or a slide out keyboard, and be able to sgn right on screen.

sano

I think we talked about this before. The DIAD has to be used comfortably and efficiently by people of all shapes and sizes. Everyone also wants the DIAD to be no bigger than it already is. In order to do QWERTY, you need a device with enough room to go 10 keys wide. A DIAD with 10 keys wide is gonna need to be too big just to accomodate a usable keyboard.
The size issue must be related to wearing gloves to operate the diad. My blackberry is a fraction of the size and I can type much faster on it than I can on the diad.