DIAD 5

upsgrunt

What is it that you are having to type into the diad? You surely can't have that many ODS messages that you have to respond that in depth to.

sano

What is it that you are having to type into the diad? You surely can't have that many ODS messages that you have to respond that in depth to.
OK I am out of my league here. My experience with the diad was as a driver helper so my opinion needs to be taken with a grain of salt. It just seemed odd to me that the diad keys were aranges in alpha order. I cant think of one other device made currently that is not qwerty.

Where I noticed it was clarifying signatures. In my previous career I was connected at the hip, ear and thumb to my Blackberry, so that may be why it was so strange for me. However, as the younger drivers come along a large perentage of them will have experiance on a device with a qwerty thumb board.
OK I will stop now. :happy-very:

upsgrunt

I understand what you are trying to get across now. You don't have to "stop", I was just trying to understand your point of view. My only concern with smaller buttons would be when wearing gloves- think about trying to dial a number on your cell phone with gloves on........P.S.- it don't work!:happy2:

DiadDude

The size issue must be related to wearing gloves to operate the diad. My blackberry is a fraction of the size and I can type much faster on it than I can on the diad.

There are lots of factors to consider when we choose a device including,

Readability (including various light conditions)
Weight
Balance
Carry-ability
Key Position / Layout
Scanner angle
Scanning distance
Durability
Gloves
Tachnical capabilities

and of course the ability of a DIAD to fend off Fido

oh yeah, and cost :greedy:

When all of that is factored in, it is unlikely that the next DIAD will be perfect for you. It is more likely that the DIAD will be good for all, and hopefully better for most.

pkgdriver

LOL

I think theres a dog on my route that could hold 5-7 Blackberrys in his mouth. He does prefer dog treats though.

I think the size is just about right.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member

LOL

I think theres a dog on my route that could hold 5-7 Blackberrys in his mouth. He does prefer dog treats though.

I think the size is just about right.

I like the size it is now too. The other day a dog attacked me and I shoved it down his mouth. If it was Blackberry size, my hand would have been ripped apart.

pretzel_man

Is 5 in production yet? If not when?

They said likely some time in 2010.

If you read the posts here, its clear the dilemma they are in...

Some people want it small.
Some want it the same size.
Everyone wants it with more keys (so you don't have to shift) which means the keys will be smaller.
Then of course there is concern about using it with gloves.

The examples they showed us seemed okay. They are all smaller than the current DIAD, no shift key, and seems reasonable to use.

P-Man

DiadDude

Everyone wants it with more keys (so you don't have to shift) which means the keys will be smaller.

The examples they showed us seemed okay. They are all smaller than the current DIAD, no shift key, and seems reasonable to use.

P-Man

From the bottom looking up, the problem seems to be that no one is making a decision. The field of candidate devices has been narrowed to 2, and we were originally expecting to have a selection by Sep '08. Four months later, we're still waiting for the go ahead.

I have no idea why we're waiting. It could be economic, it could be technical, it could be legal/regulatory, it could be political, it could be a lot of things, but right now it seems like we're wasting valuable time.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
No biggie, now that I'm comfortable enough with where the letters are, I don't mind this one. I even have my little DIAD flip down. I at about a 98% re-catch rate.:happy2:

Cementups

Box Monkey
I have a 99.9% catch rate. I think i have only dropped it once while playing with it. But several more during general use. I could spin Diad 3 on my fingertip better though.

LastBest&Final

To Endeavor To Persevere
Most of the problem is in changing the arrangement of the keys. Once you get use to it, then they change it. Thats why no one likes the new ones because they are different, but after alot of pain and suffering you learn where everything is. Make small changes to help improve it but don't change the keys or size unless it is a great improvement over the old one.

ARS's are getting more and more popular, so it needs its own key. Can't we get an IE to write some code to keep track of what functions are used the most and put them in a more efficient location ( like paid break, over 70's and ARS's).

Have list of the costumers names for each stop that normally sighs for the delivery, so you could only have to type the first or second letters of their name if it in the list (like how the street names work in the DIAD).

Have the COD amounts already typed in.

Pickup accounts automatically print out End of Day 10 minutes before normal pickup time.

Pickup accounts can communicate with driver via ODS like "Please don't stop we have nothing going out."

I could go out with 10 to 20 more stops a day and maybe cut out a few more routes. That would be GREAT!!!!!!!!!!!!

SmithBarney

Probably going to go with a better scanner, I was on DIAD 4 before I moved
and ended up starting with Express... I was floored how well the PowerPad devices
scanned in comparison, ripped labels, wrinkles, etc.. not to mention scans at all angles 0º-360º degrees, unlike the diad 0º and 180º Degrees. Speed of scanning as well.

Integration of GPS or even local maps would be simple, since both the DIAD and PowerPad Run on a Palm/Windows shell, you could have your local maps loaded on these devices, and if you ever have a question where something is, look it up, and call it good.(unless it doesn't exist)

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS

P-Man
I can text message on my cell phone, they have plenty of fricking room for a qwerty w/ numbers. And the keys would still be larger than my cell. :biting: They just need to fix this mess they made with IV

DS

Fenderbender
Glad you're not fired diadude, I don't think of you as a lurker.I appreciate you coming in and keeping us posted,Although it seems you have a limited final say in whats to come,you are still the biggest stick in the mud.

pretzel_man

I can text message on my cell phone, they have plenty of fricking room for a qwerty w/ numbers. And the keys would still be larger than my cell. :biting: They just need to fix this mess they made with IV

You are just one voice. There are many, many (many here too) that don't want tiny keys like that.

BTW, Does your cell phone have seperate keys for numbers and letters? Mine does not.

They showed us a QWERTY keypad device they tested and the drivers hated it. Keys too small.

P-Man

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
You are just one voice. There are many, many (many here too) that don't want tiny keys like that.

BTW, Does your cell phone have seperate keys for numbers and letters? Mine does not.

They showed us a QWERTY keypad device they tested and the drivers hated it. Keys too small.

P-Man
I was actually comparing the size of my cell phone to the size of the diad. Huge difference. I'm sure they could adjust the size of the diad and keys, still have a qwerty keyboard and the diad would still be ALOT bigger than my cell. And I would have the benefit of have all keys available (alpha and numeric).

DS

Fenderbender
maybe I'm way off on this but if the cellphone could connect with the diad via USB and the driver could have the option to use a cell phone to text and recieve oncalls or text from the center,it would be a breakthrough.But they have to supply the phones,

I don't have time to mess with a USB cable conected to my DIAD. I have the need for lengthy text messages to the center, maybe once a month. Is there really a need for all this texting back and forth? I really don't want to have instant voice or text communication with the center.