Difficult Customers

CHALLY9TX

I don't know if everyone realizes this but not all of us have the same DR locations in the DIAD. Heck, in my building there are 4 different centers and each one has different DR options.

Sent using BrownCafe App

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
Upstate, I would do everything you have done.
But, if it's going to rain or raining, I would double bag his delivery.

His only "ammunition" in making you open his rear door and leave it inside is if his package got damaged with rain or snow

ibleedbrown

I searched but could not find any threads on this subject....

Do any of you have that one customer who simply drives you crazy? I have this residential customer who is quickly becoming a serious PITA. He is a retired postal worker so I don't know if he has a grudge against us or not but his delivery "requirements" far exceed what we are required to provide. His home is a perfect front door driver release yet he insists that we deliver everything to his back door, which is actually located on a side street. No problem---I drive down that street, turn around in the first driveway on the right, pull up to his house, DR BD. Normally he is not home (thank goodness) but last time he was there and he told me that I am to open his back door and put everything inside of his house. I told him that I do not feel comfortable going in to his home and that all deliveries would be made per his request to his rear door and that they would be bagged in case of inclement weather. I had an S&V ride on Tuesday and discussed this stop with my on-car, who agreed that we should not be going in to customers' homes. Anyway, I received an ODS yesterday reminding me that all deliveries to this house are to be made to the rear door. I am to the point where I am seriously considering putting this guy on will call.

My question to you: Should I give in to the customers "requests" and open the rear door to his home and place the packages inside his home or should I stick to my guns and continue to place the packages out of sight and weather at his rear door per his request?

the guy wants you to put it in his back door. ;) ;)

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
....and if he were even halfway nice about it I probably would....
There are customers on my rural route that I have known for years and I am perfectly comfortable leaving their packages inside of an unlocked door.

However...if I don't know you and you demand that I leave the package inside your door, you can go pound sand. Opening someone's door creates a potential liability issue and before I am willing to subject myself to that I had better be pretty comfortable with that person.

I agree with Upstate on this one, the customer sounds like a demanding pain in the ass who would not hesitate to make unfounded accusations against us if anything came up missing or damaged inside of his home.

oldngray

nowhere special
Every route has a-holes on it and dealing with them is part of the job. I usually only had a couple of problem customers on each route but it only takes one to mess up your day. You just can't let it get to you.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

There are customers on my rural route that I have known for years and I am perfectly comfortable leaving their packages inside of an unlocked door.

However...if I don't know you and you demand that I leave the package inside your door, you can go pound sand. Opening someone's door creates a potential liability issue and before I am willing to subject myself to that I had better be pretty comfortable with that person.

I agree with Upstate on this one, the customer sounds like a demanding pain in the ass who would not hesitate to make unfounded accusations against us if anything came up missing or damaged inside of his home.

Sober, when I had my country run, I can recall many times opening their front door and putting their package(s) inside their house. It is a bit different in the city but there are still times I will do it, when I am asked to. This guy doesn't ask----he tells me and that don't work.

rod

Retired 22 years
Every route has a-holes on it and dealing with them is part of the job. I usually only had a couple of problem customers on each route but it only takes one to mess up your day. You just can't let it get to you.

With upstates problem it looks like one A-hole found another.

superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll
Tell him to go to hell. Dr reat porch and be done with it. He's not going to call in a complaint that you DR'd his package to the rear porch....unless he's a simpleton

I'd start making that my last stop of the day.After a couple of late night banging on the back door he will say just leave it on the porch.The more they bust my balls the latter I get.

Overpaid Union Thug

I refuse to go into 99% of the houses, apartments, trailers, etc. that I deliver to. I might place packages inside just behind the door frame if the customer is standing there holding the door open for me though. The 1% (its probably less than that) that are make and exception for are people that truly, literally can't fend for themselves. What really pisses me off is all of the drivers that will carry packages in for people that they know they have no business doing that for. Then those customers except me to and all of the sudden I'm the bad guy because I won't. I make sure I'm nice and professional about it when I tell them no and why. I also make sure I mention that "so and so" shouldn't be doing that and knows it too.

wayfair

swollen member
the only doors I open to leave stuff are covered patios.

I used to deliver to snap-on tool dealer that had his garage door code in the 'notes' section of the diad.

iruhnman630

I rarely open doors anymore. Garages and porches, yes. House doors only if the weather is bad. In 8 years of full time happiness, i've heard hundreds of 'thank yous!', a few complsints, and one concern from a customer saying he almost shot me.

If I do go in a door it's 1foot in 1 foot out. Good excuse when a customer says they want that sleep number bed brought up to the second floor bedroom. 'Sorry, I'm not allowed to do that.'

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
I opened a door the other day(raining, no covered porch), and set the package inside of the house. The woman sitting on her couch said hi, thanks.