Disqualified for poor safety methods

8rogan

Hello everyone, to make a long story short I was Dqed for being unsafe. 2 bad observations and only knew 80% of DOK when tested randomly on day 26. I know its irrelevant but a driver that started qualifying a week before me was never tested on dok or had his telematics pulled as he proudly rolls stop signs (he says).
Anyways after being pulled from driving they are sending me back to start doing air tomorrow as I am a Pre-loader on the air cover sheet. Our union rep says if he was me he wouldn't drive another UPS truck for a million dollars until our current center manager retires, But I don't want to get kicked off the air sheet as im currently at top rate. As of now I'm frustrated and don't want to drive because they need the help, but say I'm too unsafe to drive. Why would I want to drive to the airport in the biggest truck we have?

Will I get kicked off the cover sheet for not wanting to drive for a while?

All advice is appreciated.

Sweeper

Where’s the broom?
Listen to your rep. Don’t sit in the drivers seat again until you’re attempting to make seniority. I seriously mean don’t even move a car on property unless your rep tells you to do so. Clearly you’re not safe enough to drive a UPS vehicle. (Sarcasm) Do exactly what management tells you to do when you get your next chance at seniority. Be sure to spread the word to anyone who may be in a similar situation. As far as the cover sheet, that’s going to vary depending on where you are located. Ask your rep.

Edit: Study your DOK!!! You specifically now need to learn it word for word backwards and forwards if you plan on making another attempt at seniority.

Last edited:

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Hello everyone, to make a long story short I was Dqed for being unsafe. 2 bad observations and only knew 80% of DOK when tested randomly on day 26. I know its irrelevant but a driver that started qualifying a week before me was never tested on dok or had his telematics pulled as he proudly rolls stop signs (he says).
Anyways after being pulled from driving they are sending me back to start doing air tomorrow as I am a Pre-loader on the air cover sheet. Our union rep says if he was me he wouldn't drive another UPS truck for a million dollars until our current center manager retires, But I don't want to get kicked off the air sheet as im currently at top rate. As of now I'm frustrated and don't want to drive because they need the help, but say I'm too unsafe to drive. Why would I want to drive to the airport in the biggest truck we have?

Become a plumber or electrician bro.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS

9E4447AB-416C-46C7-8735-41159A14D7BC.gif

why would you ask strangers on the internet about your @Future instead of listening to your BA??

eats packages

Deranged lunatic
I think, between you and me, your business agent is making the best of a bad situation. We're already garunteed the jobs we have and the best way forward is to DGAF until they put you back into another FT packet.
But for me at least, that's a lot easier said than done.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
Just make your air money until your next shot at ground. Don't cut off your nose to spite your face. UPS won't care if they have to send out another air driver. An ORS may get a little annoyed for a few minutes. That'll teach 'em.

Ackerlin

More like the hub you're at is slow rn, management didn't want you to make seniority, and wants to use you as a holiday driver, then toss you away right after. Building getting blown it during peak and all of a sudden "you're safe to drive".

JJinVA

I dont care what kind of driver I am, it beats the hell out of preload. I remember when I was doing unload, the supes would come grab me and say they need me to run an EAM, so Id get to duck out of unload early and go dress out. Yeah, it was only a dollar more than I was making in unload, but it was 1/100th of the work for more money.

As peak really starts to set in, youre likely going to be running more and more air, theres gonna be drivers so blown out that they will need you to shuttle, and occasionally, those shuttles are going to be so heavy that they may even ask you to go ahead and run them at which point youll be making ground rate. They may also ask you to do ground pickups which means you will also get ground rate. (Anytime you pick up a piece of ground, you automatically get ground rate unless otherwise agreed upon between you and center).

Hang in there. Its a good gig that only gets better. Much better than preload especially.

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
I'd say if they DQ you on a package car route , why would they let you drive an air route , unsafe is unsafe , Your not driving the biggest vehicle to the airport, unless your in a feeder

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
I dont care what kind of driver I am, it beats the hell out of preload. I remember when I was doing unload, the supes would come grab me and say they need me to run an EAM, so Id get to duck out of unload early and go dress out. Yeah, it was only a dollar more than I was making in unload, but it was 1/100th of the work for more money.

As peak really starts to set in, youre likely going to be running more and more air, theres gonna be drivers so blown out that they will need you to shuttle, and occasionally, those shuttles are going to be so heavy that they may even ask you to go ahead and run them at which point youll be making ground rate. They may also ask you to do ground pickups which means you will also get ground rate. (Anytime you pick up a piece of ground, you automatically get ground rate unless otherwise agreed upon between you and center).

Hang in there. Its a good gig that only gets better. Much better than preload especially.

No extracontractual agreements.

RolloTony Brown Town

you were DQ’d for being unsafe... sooo you don’t know your methods/DOK?

Just my 2 cents... know that :censored2: inside and out. If you know it you’ll use it and the methods work.

If you don’t want to run air then that’s your prerogative. I like getting paid and if you’re at top air rate then why would you give that up? To be petty? To teach the ORS a lesson? He’ll just move on to the next and train another. Take care of you dude. Go get it next time. Ask for feedback throughout your packet, take detailed notes, and if you don’t feel the DQ was legit you may have built a case against your training.

barnyard

KTM rider
Listen to your rep. Don’t sit in the drivers seat again until you’re attempting to make seniority. I seriously mean don’t even move a car on property unless your rep tells you to do so. Clearly you’re not safe enough to drive a UPS vehicle. (Sarcasm) Do exactly what management tells you to do when you get your next chance at seniority. Be sure to spread the word to anyone who may be in a similar situation. As far as the cover sheet, that’s going to vary depending on where you are located. Ask your rep.

Edit: Study your DOK!!! You specifically now need to learn it word for word backwards and forwards if you plan on making another attempt at seniority.
Yep.

A guy in my building did the same. He was ready to sign a bid and was charged with an accident while car parking. He quit car parking and worked the small sort for a year and signed the 1st bid he was able to. Management was on him to car park. The shop steward told him that the smartest thing he could do was to not drive until after he had signed a bid.

Last edited: