Divorce/Pension Question

542thruNthru

That has nothing to do with it
tumblr_ltcg96C0K91ql5yr7o1_400.gif

21_years_in

Divorce sucks. I loved my UPS'er, the brutality of the workdays left little of him after work, and the hyped day led to hyped evenings and weekends. He could never really stop the freight train of the working hours. I always got how exhausted and frustrated he was, kept me waiting for a better day for years. I knew core him was a very good man. Living under that stress really smashed my self esteem, his anger was always there, and after a while it was hard not to have a wall up when he was home, protective and defensive, waiting for the next angry minute, hour, week.

At pandemic, all broke loose, sparing details, insistence for therapy was met with divorce papers. I still don't think he understood that once a divorce is initiated, It takes on a life of it's own. Very little chance to stop divorce once papers are filed. I will always be sad that my lifelong friend became so different, distant, angry, spiteful. At 60 it's doubtful either of us will find a lifelong partner, there for the good and the bad days. 2 years of lawyers, wasted court time, and finally divorce and settlement, The cost was huge, My grandchildren lost the only grandpa they knew, my mom died in my home, on hospice, during the divorce process. She never understood it, she loved him, too.

Man, therapy would have been cheaper and likely wouldn't have shaved years from both of our lifespans. If you can make it work, do it, or at least try. Promise, the grass may seem greener somewhere else, but once the marriage is hopelessly gone in divorce and tens of thousands of dollars wasted, that green grass will be brown, and possibly sad and lonely. UPS does exact a toll, if te job can be left at work, if the people in our lives matter first, what comes from that can ease the nastiest day out alone it a brown truck in dangerous heat or cold. No amount of settlement would replace my husband, no amount of money will replace the loss of what was and could possibly again, have been a good marriage.
This is very well said. I was on the verge of going solo, but I figured that a divorce would take years off of both our lives.

I also saw how much a divorce would cost me. The dollar amount was shocking: it is half of everything.

I am saving about $90/day by staying married. When my wife is running her mouth, I just think about how I am earning my $90/day in that moment.

badpal

This is very well said. I was on the verge of going solo, but I figured that a divorce would take years off of both our lives.

I also saw how much a divorce would cost me. The dollar amount was shocking: it is half of everything.

I am saving about $90/day by staying married. When my wife is running her mouth, I just think about how I am earning my $90/day in that moment.
Oh, but some days making that 90 dollars is pretty tough ain't it?

Big Babooba

My son has worked for UPS for 16 years and has been married 16 years. He's going through a divorce and is being told he has to give the wife 50% of the pension earned up to the date of divorce. Has anyone gone through this? He was also told she would get the money in a lump sum after the divorce because he would have to withdraw it from the fund. Is that even possible? Someone else told us that she would just get a percentage of it when he retires. Anyone have any input on this subject? He works for UPS in Arizona. Thanks
You've come to the wrong place to get your information. What and how she gets would be based on the rules of whatever pension plan he belongs to and the laws of his state..

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
No. Your fat wife gets everything. I hope spending $70,000 on that Jeep Wrangler was worth it because you're sleeping in it now.
Get a younger, hotter wife. Post plenty of pics of you two doing all sorts of activities. That alone will cause the ex to have daily seizures.

MECH-lift

Union Brother ✊🧔 RPCD
It sounds as though he may be confusing his pension with his 401k. Yes, she will get half of his 401k as of the date of the divorce but, no, she does not get half of his pension. She is entitled to 2% of his pension for each of the years of their marriage while he was employed at UPS which means she will get 32% of his pension when he retires. I went through a similar situation--my ex got 1/2 of my 401k when the ink was dry on the divorce decree and will get 16% of my pension. The money she receives from the pension will not be in a lump sum.

The above assumes that she will not be receiving a pension from her job. If this is not the case then the lawyers will work out an equitable settlement in regard to both of their pensions.
Hey Dave!
🧔✊