Does your center seem to have more injuries lately

C

crappie

Sorry I see you are on workers comp.A 140.00 a week on workers comp what a bunch of bs.

O

ok2bclever

Yeah, Workers Compensation rates are set by State and then depend on how much you were earning prior to the injury.

Your state must really suck when it comes to looking out for their citizens to only pay $140 a week WC!

PS - Article 14, Sections 2 & 3 pertain to your situation, but the ADA has been watered down in the last five republican years and the company is far less likely to be accomodating regarding it.

Still, check into it here: http://tinyurl.com/7tk2e

Scroll down to Article 14, Section 2 & 3.

L

laborer

chipperv: As ok2bclever said you need to check out Article 14 and also contact an attorney since Workers Comp laws vary from state to state. What were you getting before they put you on PPD? My state pays 70% of your wages, up to 528.00 a wk if not on TAW. If on TAW your guaranteed 80% of your weekly pay(gross) or Liberty Mutual will make up the difference(based on your last 6 month average).

What is your diagnosis? If your pain is that drastic, is surgery an option? The FDA has now approved disk replacement surgery in the lower back and are doing clinicals for the cervical disks. I found quite a bit of info on the internet about it so check it out.

Talk to your attorney about other options like a work hardening program or retraining if you can't get UPS to find you a job inside. Good Luck

O

ok2bclever

In Michigan it's currently 80% of your take home pay with an upper limit of $670 a week tax free.

To determine your base wage you take the highest 39 weeks of the last 52 and average that, so the drivers always max out.

C

chipperv

laborer, i was getting $549.00 a week before they put me on ppd. I did a functional capacity evaluation, and this physical therapist put these limitaions on what I can do. My diagnosis isleft sciatic radiculopathy, spondylolisthesis L5-S1, bilateral spondylolysis. I have gotten two opinions on surgery, and both said not at this time. Down the road they both said yes, I will need it. They said there is a 50/50 chance of me improving as far as the pain goes. I have got an attorney, and he said the laws in New Mexico were changed in 1991. This law change left the worker getting the shaft. I dodn't know how someone can live on $140 a week. I'm going to check out my options with that article in the national master UPS agreement. I have been calling the district office of UPS, as well as UPS where I work, and nobody knows what is going on. They don't even return my calls when I leave them a voice mail message. In article 14 sec. 3, it says I can send a grievance directly to the National Safety and Health Grievence committee. If I don't hear from UPS by Tuesday, I'm going to get something going with my lawyer. Something is just not right here. I had my three day production ride, get hurt because an over 70 package was not marked, and loaded on shelf four. I attempt to do the methods of UPS, tweak my back, and now they want me to be happy with $140 a week? I have had two different back injections during this time also, but no relief. Thanks for your info, and I will check out any options my brothers have for me. God Bless

L

laborer

chipperv: If you think there is a chance you can go back to driving I'd push for a work hardening program, if not are there any inside jobs you could handle? What type of restrictions are you on? Does your state allow for retraining if they won't bring you back?

If the docs are saying to hold off on surgery because you may get better it seems that they were premature in giving you the PPD instead of continuing with TTD. Have they released you from their care?

C

chipperv

laborer, my doctor did realease me for his care. in his report, he put that I can go back to work only if I follow the restrictions from my functional capcity evaluation. The restrictions are occasionally lifting up to 50 lbs. 25 lbs. frequently. The other main restriction was occasional bending. The physical therapist who did my friend.C.E., put in her report to go back to work slowly. Start off with 2-4 hours the first week, and increase it 2 hours every week until I can get back to full time status. I haven't heard back from UPS since this report was sent to liberty mutual. That was about three weeks ago. The state does have a program called division of vocational rehabilitation. I went and got an application, but they said I have to be let go from my current employer in order for it to be processed. Do you think I should call the union? The last time I called them when my back initially got hurt, the rep. told me he could not help me. Get a workman's comp. lawyer. He said it was illegal for him to give me advice.

L

laborer

chipperv: If you can't get any cooperation from your union rep I'd have your attorney contact Liberty Mutual about sending you through a work hardening program(if you feel you can recover enough to drive). This type of PT is designed to progress you slowly up to full duty. You are started out on light weights and less hours and slowly move up on both. If done correctly it can be quite beneficial although you may be at PT 6-8 hrs a day. Good Luck

upsset

company doctors diagnosis chart

ailment diagnosis treatment

back pain (any kind) strain tylonol, flexeril, TAW
Knee pain " " " "
shoulder " " " "
wrist " " " "
any other pain " " " "
repitive motion imaginary none, its imaginary

Cause; H.S. sports 30 years ago, what you did over the weekend, you didn't follow safe methods, self inflicted, or your faking it.

upsset

The bottom line is UPS is only concerned about safety as it relates to the numbers they are required to report to OSHA. The only one concerned about you health is you. Don't hesitate to voice disaggreement with the company owned doctors, insist on treatment plans you feel are necessary, and get the union involved if you feel you are not being treated properly or fairly. If it is necessary get a second opinion and a laywer.

Ms Spoken

our center is now handing out WARNING letters for getting hurt because if you follow your methods your should never get hurt. (That is what our safty team & sups are saying)

I feel like this is BS BS BS and it's getting deep.

over9five

Staff member
"That is what our safty team & sups are saying"

You have to talk to these safety committee lackeys. No one with an ounce of self respect would be on a safety committee.

wornoutupser

Ms Spoken said:
our center is now handing out WARNING letters for getting hurt because if you follow your methods your should never get hurt. (That is what our safty team & sups are saying)

I feel like this is BS BS BS and it's getting deep.

It is getting deep- call OSHA and report the harrasment!

S

speeddemon

Im on our safety team and thats a bunch of hooey. Your body is not designed to do this job over a long period of time. Eventually, things on your body will wear out or break.

Ms Spoken

I found lost of information at www.osha.gov that could be used if needed. Very interesting web site thanks for the info.
I think I will print some of it off and have it with me just in case I should ever get hurt but, if we use or methods that will never happen. (dream on)