down economy and helpers

Mike Hawk

My center has been using me and other preloaders as helpers every week for the last month, along with 2 utility drivers from the local sort doing routes. They refuse to hire new drivers, so when one guy calls in sick I end up going out with a driver on light duty to do the delivering while he drives. I'm not complaining, I get paid 30.42 an hour when I'm out helping, but come peak this isn't going to work out well, last year we only had 2 peak drivers, and all they did was do bulk trucks and mall/outlet mall trucks.

Forty6and2

I'm Broken
My HR guy told me that this year will be different as far as using helpers goes. (Thats not new- they say that every year!) According to him, UPS will be hiring a helper for every driver in the building and we will be using less drivers and combining as many routes as possible. They have also told me and the other cover drivers in our center that they won't be needing us to cover drive at all until the end of November. I guess that means I'll be preloading, then helping them run air if they need me to, and then going out to meet a driver so I can driverhelp. Fun stuff.

Overpaid Union Thug

My HR guy told me that this year will be different as far as using helpers goes. (Thats not new- they say that every year!) According to him, UPS will be hiring a helper for every driver in the building and we will be using less drivers and combining as many routes as possible. They have also told me and the other cover drivers in our center that they won't be needing us to cover drive at all until the end of November. I guess that means I'll be preloading, then helping them run air if they need me to, and then going out to meet a driver so I can driverhelp. Fun stuff.

If that is their plan nationwide then we better be able to keep our helpers more than the usual three or four hours. Otherwise we'll all be bringing back more missed pieces each night. The DOT only allows us so many hours on road. I hope IE is accounting for that while they debate that silly idea.

S

Suite Life

Do any of you guys out there on satellite routes get helpers during peak? Just wondering since Im in a rural area just don't see it helping much. Oh well if I get a helper hope they are good company!!

W

westsideworma

I'm kind of dreading this PEAK. The best one I had was the first one. We had plenty of time to work etc...last year we started like 45 min earlier than normal at most...what a stupid idea. Tons of horribly loaded package cars with a lot of misloads and damages etc. I can't wait to see what this one is like... ::shudder::

sillyputty

The driver helper sign up sheet was posted Friday in my building.
I did it for one year only, when I made less hourly than what driver helpers get, so I felt like I was getting paid a lot for it. I looked at the sheet on Friday and thought "never again". $12.-something/hr? Nah. It's freakin cold here in the winter- sure I'd do it in a mild climate for that pay, but not here where it's ice, snow, windchills, blizzards, -15 BEFORE windchill. Nope. It's cold enough in our building at night. I won't be running around in that for $5/hr less than I make now.

I'm sure some of the people will- but they have a hard time getting helpers where I work.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
I'm sure some of the people will- but they have a hard time getting helpers where I work.

The routine here never changes. The off-the-street helpers only make minimum wage, so we never have enough and the few that do take the job wind up quitting after a day or two. Then there is a sign-up list for hub and preloaders...at $5 LESS than their normal rate of pay...but no one with any brains signs up for it because they know if they just wait they will get forced to work and will get overtime at their normal rate instead. So we wind up having every sup in the building out there delivering, and we just file grievances and get the drivers paid OT for all the hours the sups work. It could all be avoided if the company would just pay a good enough wage up front to attract and keep helpers, but in typical UPS fashion they wind up spending ten dollars to save a dime.

Homoudont

I can't seem to find it, but did they change the rate for drivers helpers in the new contract? I thought I read somewhere that is $12.50 an hour to be a driver helper this peak season.

Homoudont

Thanks, We had that debate last night on our sort. and our supervisor who is pretty much a nit wit said it was $8.50. I tried to argue with her that it was changed in the new contract, but she held her ground. I'll ask my center manager if I happen to see him tonight because I couldn't find anything in the NMA.

drewed

Shankman
i believe the 8.50 is for new hires..... but UPS in some areas has gotten away with paying in house, by splitting their times up by an hour thusly making it another shift.

how do you become a helper? will they call people who have applications in and interviews done first? where can i go to "sign up" for being a helper?:peaceful:

DeputyDip

Backwoods Hillbilly
how do you become a helper? will they call people who have applications in and interviews done first? where can i go to "sign up" for being a helper?:peaceful:
Go here:

jobs-ups.com

Find your state, scroll down to bottom of page and pick your location, fill it out, wait for UPS to contact you. It may take a while, but they will.

sano

What makes a good driver helper?
I just started working as a preloader. We were told that they always have trouble getting driver helpers. Pay aside, I think it could be good experiance for when I become a driver.
What did the best driver helper you ever had do that the others did not?