Driving with ear buds

OneBoxAtATime

My co-worker got fired on 8/25/16 because he had his ear buds in his ear while driving , on 8/24/16 they took a picture of him, on 8/25/16 they brought him into the office and asked his if he was on the phone, he said NO . so they fired him for dishonesty, Any advice? Thanks Now he has to go to panel

Last edited:

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
In my state, it's against the law to wear them while driving. We had a Georgia State Patrol officer at a PCM telling us this a few years ago. It's one of those laws that isn't enforced much. This falls under distracted driving.

Billy Ray

God, help us all.....
My co-worker got fired on 8/25/16 because he had his ear buds in his ear while driving , on 8/24/16 they took a picture of him, on 8/25/16 they brought him into the office and asked his if he was on the phone, he said NO . so they fired him for dishonesty, Any advice? Thanks Now he has to go to panel

Buds, plural...

And you see NO problem with this behavior? Is that correct?

BrownArmy

If drivers got fired for using ear buds half the center would be out of a job.

This.

In my center, at least.

I heard an interesting radio show that discussed 'distracted-driving'...

Yes, you can go 'hands-free', but psychologists agree that the phone conversation itself is as (or more) distracting than simply playing with your phone.

So...

Don't do drugs.

Billy Ray

God, help us all.....
If you are completely focused while driving, you have a somewhat even balance against the onslaught of motoring idiots that surround you.

If you are compromised in any manner....., "game over."

Billy Ray

God, help us all.....

You still there?

Cementups

Box Monkey
Like @scratch said, it is illegal (in PA) to have ear buds/headphones in while driving. Funny enough, I pass at least one feeder driver per day who has them in. Apparently they don't care about the law or their jobs.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Like @scratch said, it is illegal (in PA) to have ear buds/headphones in while driving. Funny enough, I pass at least one feeder driver per day who has them in. Apparently they don't care about the law or their jobs.
I see multiple drivers leave the building every day with them in. All I can do is shake my head.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
I would think with the higher speed limits, more traffic congestion and more distracted drivers, just "listening to music" should be the last thing he should be doing.
Trust me I agree but it's what all of the younger drivers I know do.

Plus 1-2 that use a Bluetooth ear piece to quiet literally talk on the phone all day long.

Billy Ray

God, help us all.....

Waiting to hear from you; jump in to the deep end.