DUI

FedupExpress

You joke but we had a manager who crashed into the front gate and eventually got promoted to somewhere out in Pittsburgh.
There was a manager who killed some people in a DUI wreck not too long ago.

If I remember correctly it was in Texas.

Darmark7

Retired 2020. Not my Problem Anymore!
I get an Uber or a ride , that said many people have an alcoholic disease and might make a bad decision. They shouldn’t lose their livelihood for an issue

Since it is a disease that is all the more reason that person shouldn’t drive. If your blood pressure is to high or you have seizures you can’t drive commercially. A disease means you probably don’t have complete control over it so why would a company take the risk. By labeling it as a disease you just answered your own question why that person should not have a commercial driving job. Now if it wasn’t a disease but just a decision then there would be more reason to give a 2nd chance because people can change their behavior easier than changing a disease. There are plenty of people that have conditions that keeps them from being able to drive.

Gone fishin

Since it is a disease that is all the more reason that person shouldn’t drive. If your blood pressure is to high or you have seizures you can’t drive commercially. A disease means you probably don’t have complete control over it so why would a company take the risk. By labeling it as a disease you just answered your own question why that person should not have a commercial driving job. Now if it wasn’t a disease but just a decision then there would be more reason to give a 2nd chance because people can change their behavior easier than changing a disease. There are plenty of people that have conditions that keeps them from being able to drive.
Guy goes out has 2 beers at dinner , been at UPS for 20 years , blows a .09. Doesn’t seem fair. What about texting and driving , just as dangerous

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
Always thought that was unfair to driving jobs. Obviously shouldn’t be drinking and driving , but the rest of the jobs simply get a ride to work. We lose our livelihood in some cases for a mistake. We should be able to drive at work only , that makes sense
It's almost as if people who need an active and valid DL in order to do their jobs are expected to properly maintain that which is a legal requirement to do the job. UNFAIR.

Gone fishin

It's almost as if people who need an active and valid DL in order to do their jobs are expected to properly maintain that which is a legal requirement to do the job. UNFAIR.
Exactly and that is why I’ll turn in every driver I see texting or on their phone. EXTREMELY dangerous and against company policy as well as the law. No one should be operating a vehicle that text and drives

Darmark7

Retired 2020. Not my Problem Anymore!
Guy goes out has 2 beers at dinner , been at UPS for 20 years , blows a .09. Doesn’t seem fair. What about texting and driving , just as dangerous

If you are caught texting while driving, especially a commercial vehicle, there should be penalties as high as the drunk driving penalties in my opinion. Now if they find out that texting while driving is a disease then any person with that disease shouldn’t be allowed to drive.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
Once? I drove drunk most nights, right after work. Not proud of it, I never do it anymore.
This may sound corny but, the one night I drove drunk I prayed to God that if he got me home safely without hurting anyone or myself and without being pulled over, I’d never drive drunk again. He made it happen and I kept my promise. I was 19 then.