Dumbest thing YOU have done

undercoversupe

While out on car during peak ( I don't work in Center or Hub) I was helping a seasoned driver. We were in a mall. He asked me to go down to a business and grab their packages. They had about 100. Unfortunately for me 10 of them was for UPS and the rest were Fedex. I brought them out on 2 carts. Small packages. I had to truck them back through the cold and through the busy mall.

C

Chicks Dig the Uni

The dumbest and most embarassing....

Arrived at this resi only to find the gate locked. Two mean looking german shepards barking their head off, trying to get a piece of me thru the fence. Since the carton was slightly larger than the size of my hand. could'nt help thinking I could toss it to front door that was only 25 to 30 ft away from my side of fence.

I did a Peyton Manning, walking up to the fence like it was my offensive lline, I pointed to the imaginary wide receivers like Manning would. As I hunched over the center I called an Audible...I dropped back ten feet and threw a perfect spiral toward door, the box landed softly right on the front door mat. I punched the air and shouted "Oh Yeah!"...I turned around to leave and saw across the street two motorcycle cops under a tree watching me...both had a big smile on their face...

Adino

Preload/Unloader
I dropped a coupler from one of our train cars on my big toe, it kind of bounced then came back down on it again. Nothing broken but damn did that hurt.

brown67

disneyworld said:
DOH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I hope he at least got a good laugh about it.Either that he was pissed for paying 19 unnecessary COD charges.

He just looked confused. Shipper tagged each box, but I could have had him write one check for all 20.

No Talent Clown

My first year full time I sent out a conference call agenda with the works. When I say the works I really mean the works...turns out the conference call number I typed in ended up being a phone sex line. Everytime I walked by someone during the next week they picked up the phone and pretended to dial that number...........:ohmy:

S

superfloyd

When a took an area over for a driver way out in the country he told me one address he never drove in, just left the package at the gate. The first day I went there I decided since the gate was open to drive on in. I left the package on the porch only to be over taken by 5 dogs. I couldn't keep my eyes on them all and one actually nipped me on the butt. The second time I went I drove in again, I tossed the package out on the concrete and never left the truck. As I drove away 3 dogs were pissing on the package. The third time I went I left the package at the gate.

lovetokayak

"what can we safely conclude from this?"

NEVER...EVER let your cellphone and its case leave your side. In case you lock youself in the back (been there, done that) you can at least call for help. I had a sup who suggested to "hang" the case with the phone in it on the DVIR holding plastic cover. I'm glad I kept the phone on my beltloop.

Fishbulb

2 dumbest things I've ever done on the job: both happened in my 1st year driving. 1st was locking my keys in the back of the truck, was parked on a busy street during peak season & was on my last stop. I tried ripping that door open so hard my fingers were bleeding, no luck. Finally after being frantic I called the center manager, who was our best center manager to date, he told me to look for a spare in the pouch over the passenger seat. No dice. Then he told me to pull on the door & at the same time kick the bottom of the door as hard as possible. I thought he was full of sh** but on the second kick & it popped open! 2nd dumbest thing I've done was I was I left my DIAD at my last pickup. Got all the way back to the building, went to put in the mileage & screamed out "SH**!!!!!!!!!". One of hte other drivers in the area picked it up for me on his way in.

lovetokayak

While I was a driver's helper I was really trying to impress my driver and make him proud of me. So, he hands me a package to DR it. I come back, sit back on the jump-seat, feeling all happy and eager to deliver the next stop. As he starts driving, we both looked at each other thinking, "man, did you fart or what?" Turns out, I was so eager I stepped in a nice steamy pile of dog poop. He made fun of me for weeks after that..."Now..now, make sure you watch your step, young lady!" :blushing:

Harley Rider

34 yrs & done!
I use to deliver the downtown area for several years. Pretty busy street with lots of tourists. Not sure how many of you do it bit I always roll up my sleeves during the summertime. As I was stepping out of the cab my shirt sleeve caught on the door handle and left me dangling on the side of the truck. The doubled up material wasn't ripping and my feet were dangling a few inches off the pavement. Talk about feeling stupid. Finally got enough force to rip my shirt sleeve and drop.

browniehound

I use to deliver the downtown area for several years. Pretty busy street with lots of tourists. Not sure how many of you do it bit I always roll up my sleeves during the summertime. As I was stepping out of the cab my shirt sleeve caught on the door handle and left me dangling on the side of the truck. The doubled up material wasn't ripping and my feet were dangling a few inches off the pavement. Talk about feeling stupid. Finally got enough force to rip my shirt sleeve and drop.

Serves you right for trying to flaunt your manhood! Just joking, I roll up my sleeves also. I get my jacket caught in the bulkhead doorway sometimes, but never exiting the vehicle because I always use 3 points of contact:w00t:

Dirty Savage

Paranoid Android
LOL! Thread necromancy!

As I was stepping out of the cab my shirt sleeve caught on the door handle and left me dangling on the side of the truck. The doubled up material wasn't ripping and my feet were dangling a few inches off the pavement. Talk about feeling stupid.

I've done this so many times that all my short-sleeved shirts have holes in the right arm. I don't roll my sleeves up but I do wear a t-shirt underneath. Fortunately for me I am 6'4" so I just kind of hang there on the tips of my toes.

And yeah, I have locked my keys in the back of the truck during a blinding snow storm no less. Messaged the centre, told them what was going on and received this reply:

"You fool!"

Oh and there was this . . . on one of my first ride-alongs with a full-time driver, we stopped at a place that had a loading dock wherein the driveway sloped down. Well I got out of the truck and turned around as my driver was talking, took a couple of steps backwards and promptly tripped over a concrete barier and fell down into this loading dock. Landed right on the back of my neck. God, that driver still reminds me about that to this day.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Hung on the door latch once myself, my arm was black and blue for 3 wks. And the shorts that catch on the gearshift, and the bulkhead door latch that catches your vest, or the screen door that catches a belt loop. Its a wonder we arent all injured. All the time.

H

hseofpayne

My center had a new rural rte added from another center and the driver of that rte was smart enough to take vacation when it was first run out of our center. My manager told me no one knew anything about the rte and since I grew up in the sticks ,I was the best candidate to try my luck at running the rte. So I was given a map about 5 ft by 5ft and wished good luck. The 1st dumb thing I did was agree to go by myself! I have never been so lost in my life. Here comes the really dumb part. I was riding down this dirt road when I came to a fork in the road. After much studying of the aforementioned map, I chose the right side fork. After about 4 miles I noticed the road started to narrow; after another mile there was grass growing in the middle of the road. As I topped the next hill, there was the 1st sign I had seen that said bridge out. I stopped and to a closer look at that fancy map and sure nuff in small print were the words bridge out. Now you know a bridge has been out a long time when it makes the map!! My good fortune continued when i figured out there were no places to turn a UPS car around. I got the pleasure of backing up for several miles before I found a side pulpwood road I could use to turn around. I made my way back to that fork in the road and went left. After several miles, once again the road narrowed and next thing I know I am riding across the dam of a pond. There were construction crrews building pavilions and after getting out of the car and walking around trying to act like I was on that dam on purpose, I figured out where I was. Iwas on the dam of a lake I had fished as a kid, which by the way was many miles outside of my centers area, but at least I knew where I was. As many of you know , after this one day I was considered the center expert fully trained to run this rte in the future!!!!!

3rd day on the job many years ago, I came back to my center and proudly bragged to my supe that I had gotten done so early that I even had time to run up about 15 extra miles for him. Luckily, he was OK and set me straight about running up miles.