Express raises.

El Morado Diablo

At my station 3 of every 4 topped out couriers can't consistently make their onroad goals. Swings average 105% to %115 on those routes.

What kind of service are your topped out couriers providing their customers? For every courier that could pick up the pace there are many others that actually put forth the effort to take care of their customers. That's something management talks about ad nauseam "the only thing we have to offer is service" but it isn't something that can be measured so they complain about couriers who don't always hit their goals. I realize not everyone puts forth an honest effort every day but that isn't limited to topped out couriers.

What do swings average on the routes of couriers who aren't topped out?

Our swings can't make goal on 2/3's of the routes run by topped out couriers. It's not getting any better with the majority of our swings hired off the street or upgraded to a swing position in their first year with the company.

overflowed

At my station 3 of every 4 topped out couriers can't consistently make their onroad goals. Swings average 105% to %115 on those routes.
Why do you even care? No one else does, neither do your bosses. This is what this company is now. Let sleeping dogs lie. Not a big deal till you make it. Really pointless for you even to post anymore.

vantexan

My parents are retired with a net worth of around $1.5 million that I know of. No debt of any kind. I know for a fact that they never earned $100,000 in a year and I think they might have hit $80,000 a couple of times near the end of their working careers. Those amounts are for their combined incomes. Their current income in retirement is between $80k and $100k (probably closer to 80), a good chunk of which is just reinvested.

Give me a million today and I'll have $2 million in 20 years without even trying.

Ah, the irony of someone who desperately wants more money complaining about people who have money.
Begging your pardon but if your parents are retired now then they were earning good money back when incomes were rising, as well as real estate values. $1.5 million sounds right under those circumstances. Different playing field than today so try to not compare apples with oranges. A 7% annual return will double your money every 10 years before taxes. Since you defend the company so passionately let me ask did the company not want continuity from it's couriers? What's the point of offering benefits if they didn't want couriers to give 20+ years to the company? I made a mistake leaving in '97, but I came back and worked hard, was always very productive, and was told I would top out in 7 to 8 years. I worked in enough stations, hearing that 7 to 8 year mantra told to newhires, even in 2012 I was hearing that. Why don't you admit for once that we got played, lied to to keep us at it while they built Ground, taking our pensions away after letting us choose to stay in the traditional pension. And now that about everything is in place it's open season on topped out employees. The company wants higher profits, not higher paid couriers. And you're here to rag on them. Why not admit that you're a shill for a patently dishonest corporation?

vantexan

Ah, Zapmail. You guys love Zapmail, because you all knew when it started that there was about to be a glut of cheap fax machines that were going to hit the market and that the space shuttle was going to blow up. LOL!
It's not our $700 million mistake, it was the company's. We however had to help pay for it with no raises for years.

vantexan

ROTFLMAO!!! The current rate of inflation has been NEGATIVE all year and we haven't had a rate of 3% or higher since late 2011. If you're having trouble beating inflation w/your investments, my goodness you shouldn't even bother.
The point was that a million dollars would put him in an upper middle class lifestyle for 20+ years, which I disagreed with although it certainly helps to have the million. Obviously your reading skills aren't any better than mine.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
What kind of service are your topped out couriers providing their customers? For every courier that could pick up the pace there are many others that actually put forth the effort to take care of their customers.

It varies. None of them provide what I'd consider bad service, but they don't really do much of anything that could be described as going above and beyond and nothing that's very time intensive.

What do swings average on the routes of couriers who aren't topped out?

A little less. It's rare in this area for a swing to not make 100% and I can't recall when one failed to make 95%. We have a new swing who isn't, but he's 2 months into the job and I'm not going to knock him just yet but I don't think he'll make it.

Our swings can't make goal on 2/3's of the routes run by topped out couriers. It's not getting any better with the majority of our swings hired off the street or upgraded to a swing position in their first year with the company.

I'm becoming convinced that there are only good swings and bad swings with nothing in the middle. Agree that hiring them off the street is risky. They have to learn the basics of the job AND multiple routes.

59 Dano

Why do you even care? No one else does, neither do your bosses. This is what this company is now. Let sleeping dogs lie. Not a big deal till you make it. Really pointless for you even to post anymore.

Why do I care? Do you like seeing guys bust their butts for $17/hour while others are phoning it in and making $24/hour?

59 Dano

Begging your pardon but if your parents are retired now then they were earning good money back when incomes were rising, as well as real estate values. $1.5 million sounds right under those circumstances. Different playing field than today so try to not compare apples with oranges. A 7% annual return will double your money every 10 years before taxes.

Not to say you don't know what you're talking about, but you don't. The extent that rising real estate values factor into their situation is less than $30,000 tops. You're also failing to factor in the fact that their salaries were never all that great.

Since you defend the company so passionately let me ask did the company not want continuity from it's couriers?

Actions speak louder than words, and the fact that you're on your THIRD stint with the company is a greater defense of FedEx than anything I could or ever would say.

What's the point of offering benefits if they didn't want couriers to give 20+ years to the company? I made a mistake leaving in '97, but I came back and worked hard, was always very productive, and was told I would top out in 7 to 8 years. I worked in enough stations, hearing that 7 to 8 year mantra told to newhires, even in 2012 I was hearing that. Why don't you admit for once that we got played, lied to to keep us at it while they built Ground, taking our pensions away after letting us choose to stay in the traditional pension. And now that about everything is in place it's open season on topped out employees. The company wants higher profits, not higher paid couriers. And you're here to rag on them. Why not admit that you're a shill for a patently dishonest corporation?

Why not admit that I'm a shill... Well, I guess I'll have to stop bashing the company for their pay progression plan, or lack thereof.

MAKAVELI

Why do I care? Do you like seeing guys bust their butts for $17/hour while others are phoning it in and making $24/hour?
No, I have a problem with someone who has busted their ass for 10- 15 years making $17 an hour. It's up to management to get everyone to be productive. UPS does it. Figure it out.;)

59 Dano

The point was that a million dollars would put him in an upper middle class lifestyle for 20+ years, which I disagreed with although it certainly helps to have the million. Obviously your reading skills aren't any better than mine.

My math skills are, and a million would do it quite well without too much of an effort.

59 Dano

You bet, That's all we need is tasteless posts bragging about how wealthy your parents supposedly are. We don't give a rat's ass.

Then kindly direct your ire at vantexan because he's offering some of the most idiotic financial wisdom on the 'net. My folks come from modest families and earned slightly above modest salaries their entire lives. They still have modest tastes. I'm not bragging about anything (well, maybe that they are smart enough to get the most out of the hand that was dealt them), but pointing out that vantexan's supposed theories are eclipsed by the determination of a couple of hillbillies.

vantexan

Really? In what years did you not get a raise in order to pay for Zapmail?
How long have you been with FedEx? Topped out employees didn't get raises for 4.5 years in the '90's. FedEx blew it on Zapmail, and they also lost over $100 million to an accounting firm that absconded with their money. Interesting that we suddenly stopped getting raises. Of course you probably think $13.11hr is living it up.

vantexan

Then kindly direct your ire at vantexan because he's offering some of the most idiotic financial wisdom on the 'net. My folks come from modest families and earned slightly above modest salaries their entire lives. They still have modest tastes. I'm not bragging about anything (well, maybe that they are smart enough to get the most out of the hand that was dealt them), but pointing out that vantexan's supposed theories are eclipsed by the determination of a couple of hillbillies.
My parents built a house in the 60's for $20k that's worth more than $200,000 now. Surely your parents' home rose more than $30k in value? You must be very young to not remember that $35k in the late 70's was very good money. If your parents made $80k in their productive years, bought a home, and invested prudently then it's not surprising that their networth is $1.5 million. But you flat out misinterpreted what I wrote earlier. Having $1 million is great, who wouldn't want it? But he said it would provide an upper middle class lifestyle for 20 years. Really? Upper middle class people working fulltime probably haul in a million every 3-7 years. Investing a million to get that much would require a very high return which is highly unlikely. Better look to your investments because with this Greece situation we could see a strong downturn. I know a bit more than you think, but hey, I'm just a courier, what do I know?

Last edited: