Express raises.

dezguy

Why do I care? Do you like seeing guys bust their butts for $17/hour while others are phoning it in and making $24/hour?
Maybe you should blame the company for promoting a two tiered wage system rather than paying everyone the same rate because we all do the same job.

If someone wants to cover my route and be a hero, good for them. When I come back, I'll be working at my normal pace.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
It varies. None of them provide what I'd consider bad service, but they don't really do much of anything that could be described as going above and beyond and nothing that's very time intensive.

A little less. It's rare in this area for a swing to not make 100% and I can't recall when one failed to make 95%. We have a new swing who isn't, but he's 2 months into the job and I'm not going to knock him just yet but I don't think he'll make it.

I'm becoming convinced that there are only good swings and bad swings with nothing in the middle. Agree that hiring them off the street is risky. They have to learn the basics of the job AND multiple routes.

Please tell me why, after all that has been taken away from us senior couriers, we should go above and beyond for this company and why we should do more than the barest minimum? How would it be to OUR advantage? We've given FedEx the best we had for most of our adult lives to get slapped in the face over and over. Please do enlighten me. I'm totally interested in your rationale for this.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
Please tell me why, after all that has been taken away from us senior couriers, we should go above and beyond for this company and why we should do more than the barest minimum? How would it be to OUR advantage? We've given FedEx the best we had for most of our adult lives to get slapped in the face over and over. Please do enlighten me. I'm totally interested in your rationale for this.

I find it interesting that @59 Dano has chosen to ignore this. Couldn't come up with a good answer?

1fedexFAILURE

My parents built a house in the 60's for $20k that's worth more than $200,000 now. Surely your parents' home rose more than $30k in value? You must be very young to not remember that $35k in the late 70's was very good money. If your parents made $80k in their productive years, bought a home, and invested prudently then it's not surprising that their networth is $1.5 million. But you flat out misinterpreted what I wrote earlier. Having $1 million is great, who wouldn't want it? But he said it would provide an upper middle class lifestyle for 20 years. Really? Upper middle class people working fulltime probably haul in a million every 3-7 years. Investing a million to get that much would require a very high return which is highly unlikely. Better look to your investments because with this Greece situation we could see a strong downturn. I know a bit more than you think, but hey, I'm just a courier, what do I know?
His parents home and income are important to him because he probably still lives at home with mom and dad.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
How long have you been with FedEx? Topped out employees didn't get raises for 4.5 years in the '90's. FedEx blew it on Zapmail, and they also lost over $100 million to an accounting firm that absconded with their money. Interesting that we suddenly stopped getting raises. Of course you probably think $13.11hr is living it up.

Zapmail ended well before the 1990's.

59 Dano

My parents built a house in the 60's for $20k that's worth more than $200,000 now. Surely your parents' home rose more than $30k in value?

Maybe that much.

You must be very young to not remember that $35k in the late 70's was very good money. If your parents made $80k in their productive years, bought a home, and invested prudently then it's not surprising that their networth is $1.5 million.

Their most productive years were not very long ago at all.

But you flat out misinterpreted what I wrote earlier. Having $1 million is great, who wouldn't want it? But he said it would provide an upper middle class lifestyle for 20 years. Really? Upper middle class people working fulltime probably haul in a million every 3-7 years.

Investing a million to get that much would require a very high return which is highly unlikely.

$62,500 a year puts you in the top 15% of income earners. An annuity with a rate of 3% will do that and then some.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Zapmail ended well before the 1990's.

That's your "answer"? This company is 20 years behind on wages, and the market level and top-out schemes are criminal. What other company can you name where it takes 20+ years to reach top wage?

Idiot.

59 Dano

Are you getting the barest minimum pay?

vantexan

Maybe that much.

Their most productive years were not very long ago at all.

$62,500 a year puts you in the top 15% of income earners. An annuity with a rate of 3% will do that and then some.
3% of a million is $30,000. What are you, a McDummy? And you don't take into account inflation. Your money will be worth 60% less in 20 years with an average 3% inflation. That's why I'm heading overseas.

59 Dano

3% of a million is $30,000. What are you, a McDummy? And you don't take into account inflation.

Hey dummy, do you know what an annuity is or how it works? Did you know that you could have gone to the bankrate.com annuity calculator and saved yourself the keystrokes and the embarrassment of looking so ignorant?

vantexan

Hey dummy, do you know what an annuity is or how it works? Did you know that you could have gone to the bankrate.com annuity calculator and saved yourself the keystrokes and the embarrassment of looking so ignorant?
Yes I do but once in an annuity you are locked in. Your money's value will deteriorate and in no way will a million dollars provide an upper middle class lifestyle for 20 years. What are you, a McDummy?

59 Dano

That's your "answer"? This company is 20 years behind on wages, and the market level and top-out schemes are criminal. What other company can you name where it takes 20+ years to reach top wage?

Idiot.

And you didn't make good on all of those other offers you had in recent years... why?

59 Dano

Yes I do but once in an annuity you are locked in. Your money's value will deteriorate and in no way will a million dollars provide an upper middle class lifestyle for 20 years. What are you, a McDummy?

Lordy, you're dense. An annuity gives you a guaranteed income and I don't think you're the expert on upper middle class lifestyles considering you don't even know what income constitutes upper middle class.

vantexan

Lordy, you're dense. An annuity gives you a guaranteed income and I don't think you're the expert on upper middle class lifestyles considering you don't even know what income constitutes upper middle class.
$62,500 isn't "upper middle class." Of course it gives you a guaranteed income. It doesn't however guarantee that it won't lose value, the downfall of fixed annuities. Let's say a courier's pension pays him $20k a year. That money comes from an annuity the company buys. That $20k when he retires won't buy him as much 1 year from now and as time marches on will be considerably less because the company got rid of the COLA feature in 1989.

vantexan

And by "about 1990," you mean February 1, 1987.
My sister-in-law was a systems analyst for FedEx during that period. According to her they kept working on Zapmail trying to make it work. Wikipedia says the company wrote off $320 million but I remember several mgr's/sr.mgrs. say it was $700 million. Doesn't change the fact that during the mid 90's topped out employees went 4.5 years without a raise.