feeder cover board

over9five

Staff member
Seniority by start date should supercede that BS classification date. Feeder time? Wtf is that??????? Id be damned if a guy from the street with one year on the job will have more time than me when I go into feeder with 20+ more years than him

That's how it is here brother. No Me-ster deals made to screw a man out of his seniority.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
More examples of how the haves like to screw over the have-nots.
Should be based on Teamster seniority ... include the part-timers too!
Full-timers always screwing the part-timers out of their just due.

brett636

formymax:863048 said:
You just said it - "go easy". A delivery driver that busts his ass every day should have the right to "go easy" and jump in front of those who have been "going easy". A delivery driver has earned their stripes. The door swings both ways. When I hear feeder drivers complaining about senior people trying to qualify, I ask "Why don't you go back to delivery or the hub where you came from - with your seniorty you could get almost any vacation and an easier deliver route." Their reply: "Oh, no - that's way too hard.".

You just said it, "more senior" meaning they could have gone in before me and had seniority over me. If they want into feeders then they get to experience the joys of being on call, and working their way up the vacation pick board and finally getting to choose from the jobs nobody else wanted as I have. Feeders requires a different skill set, mind set, and most importantly different license than package car thus it should have a separate seniority board.

What's wrong with a senior man deciding to stay in Package? Not a thing. And what's wrong with a senior man deciding to ease out his last couple years by bidding Feeders. Not a thing. HE HAS MORE YEARS THAN YOU. That`s true and he will get to pick his vacations based on that and if there`s a layoff in classification he will be safe even if he only has a week in feeder over a junior driver thats been there years. But you have that make believe seniority date.... Suck my make believe seniority date. I will however based on my seniority pick my start time and job based on that date. Don`t like it? Stay in package car.
How many Me-sters did it take to get your local to roll on that? What did your local get out of that hogwash deal???? P.M. 705 Red if you want to know who ok`d that contract. It was there long before me and will be there long after.

Where`s your concern for someones years in when you flip flop between feeder and package whenever it`s convenient for you? How do those guys feel when they`re bumped semi-annually whenever the weather exceeds skill level in your neck of the woods? If you go feeder here its permanent. It`s a big boy choice. You don`t get do overs when the work gets too hard :(

krash

Go big orange
It does suck for him because he has to compete with your fake new seniority date when he's been with the company (and a Teamster) longer.
Then it should be done by company seniority, not FT. And I believe the point he is trying to make is that we go into feeder and have to work the grave yard shift, paying his dues so to speak, waiting forn the day to move up to where we can bid on a morning run or even mileage. Then you have someone come in with more FT seniority and get the "cake" and knocking you back down to once again driving while the rest of the world is sleeping. I've been at it for 5 years and know it's probably gonna be another 5 before I move up enough to get off nights. It sucks especially when you have a family at home but I knew that it was best to go in as soon as possible since "classification seniority means everything here.
But it was just like starting out as a PTer and finally getting a chance to go FT in pkg. I was picking vacation and routes behind someone who had 10 years less company seniority than I because they got hired off the street FT. So if you ask me, it should either be the way we have it now, or company seniority. But bthat's just my opinion.

Ibt804Hammer

Well there is another problem. We have one list that has been going for years and will continue till the last driver on that list has the shot. No one is added or can be added to the list and it isin seniority order. No driver from the street is allowed to bypass this list or hired to go into feeder. This is a prime job here and offered only to ups employees when you go through the ranks. With that said, last time I looked, bottom seniority driver in feeder here was a 1990 date.

formymax

Yes, it does suck working nights, being on call and driving large heavy equipment on mountain roads in bad weather. However, Brett636 used the term "go eay" not me. Let's be honest, everyone knows that on MOST days, feeders is easier than delivery. That's why you chose to go in - right? So basically you are admitting that a driver who chooses to stay in delivery is working harder. After all those years of working harder than a feeder driver you want to strip the driver of his seniortiy because he now chooses the easier job. That is his right as a senior driver. Just as a driver has the right to pick any vacation week he wants or any route he so chooses based on his seniority. Why shouldn't a driver be allowed to choose a different classification without fear of loosing his years of seniority. He earned it! If you want to make exceptions to seniority - why have seniority at all?

brett636

formymax:863354 said:
Yes, it does suck working nights, being on call and driving large heavy equipment on mountain roads in bad weather. However, Brett636 used the term "go eay" not me. Let's be honest, everyone knows that on MOST days, feeders is easier than delivery. That's why you chose to go in - right? So basically you are admitting that a driver who chooses to stay in delivery is working harder. After all those years of working harder than a feeder driver you want to strip the driver of his seniortiy because he now chooses the easier job. That is his right as a senior driver. Just as a driver has the right to pick any vacation week he wants or any route he so chooses based on his seniority. Why shouldn't a driver be allowed to choose a different classification without fear of loosing his years of seniority. He earned it! If you want to make exceptions to seniority - why have seniority at all?

I never stated they couldn't go into feeders at all. As a more senior driver they, most likely, had several opportunities to go into feeders and chose not to take them. I don't see why you should punish those who went into feeders earlier in their career, worked on call, vacation coverage, and nights so some 25+ year package car driver can bump in to a nice day time mileage run.

over9five

Staff member
Suck my make believe seniority date. Well, that's an intelligent response.....

Where`s your concern for someones years in when you flip flop between feeder and package whenever it`s convenient for you?
I have seniority. REAL seniority, not make-believe. How do those guys feel when they`re bumped semi-annually whenever the weather exceeds skill level in your neck of the woods? Huh? If you go feeder here its permanent. It`s a big boy choice. You don`t get do overs when the work gets too hard When the work gets too hard???? In Feeders??? :(

I want to know how your local got people to go with this:

"Hey boys, how 'bout we take away all your seniority when you change classification?"

What did they get for this BS, Cach? C'mon, no-one would take that deal in the beginning, and now only the Me-sters are the little cheerleaders for it.

formymax

I never stated they couldn't go into feeders at all. As a more senior driver they, most likely, had several opportunities to go into feeders and chose not to take them. I don't see why you should punish those who went into feeders earlier in their career, worked on call, vacation coverage, and nights so some 25+ year package car driver can bump in to a nice day time mileage run.

Because they earned it. Wow, so if i driver exercises his seniority rights they are "punishing" junior drivers? This way of thinking is what has been eroding the power of unions.

brett636

Because they earned it. Wow, so if i driver exercises his seniority rights they are "punishing" junior drivers? This way of thinking is what has been eroding the power of unions.

How did they earn it? They surely didn't earn it being on call sitting around waiting for the phone to ring which can happen at all hours of the day or night and even on weekends. They didn't earn it by covering for other, more senior, feeder drivers when they go on vacation having their start times different each week. They didn't have to pick a job that started late in the evening being away from their family working all through the night for several years. No, they chose to stay in package car where they get to sleep like a normal human being and work when the sun is up(mostly) . I realize package car is a tough job and I have nothing against a package car driver with 25 years driving enjoying whatever perks 25 years in their center has earned them. I cannot fathom why they should be able to bump into another department with different requirements and challenges and take away a job held by someone else who had just a few months less seniority but chose to go into feeders earlier in their career rather than later.

mamirk69

I agree with this. If I spend most of my UPS career as a feeder driver I don't see how its fair that at anytime a package car driver with more seniority can bump me out of my job when he is ready to go easy the last 2-5 years before retirement. If said driver wants to be a feeder driver right before he retires thats fine with me as long as he starts from the bottom as myself and everyone I work with has.

Boy I thought this only went on in my building now I am seeing this is a major problem with some areas. So let me get this straight, a package car driver that has been with the company for 25 years as a full time employee decide to go to feeders and a feeder driver with 15 years of full time seniority should have more seniority than the package car driver with 25 years seniority simply because the feeder driver has been in feeders longer. That is absurd. That language here in the southeast is called the Super Q and it sucks. The language alone is holding up 12 combo jobs because this individuals will not gain "feeder seniority" so thus those $55,000 plus jobs a year will not be filled for roughly 20 years because that is how long it takes in my hub to gain "feeder seniority". One because most feeder drivers make more money by being on call. Two, the super q drivers will not retire even though now they do not have a choice because of the central states debacle. That package car driver has endured 10 plus years than that 15 year package car driver and have put up with way more headaches but yet and still he has less seniority simply because he was not in feeders. That is almost like saying if a part timer that has 5 years seniority unloading decides to go to the sort aisle with a guy that has 2 years sorting does that guy with 2 years sorting have more seniority than the guy with 5 years unloading. Feeder drivers sometimes need to come to reality. Oh by the way in my region and correct me if I am wrong but in 1997 this is when UPS actually started hiring within when it came to feeders. Prior to 1997 all feeder drivers were hired off the street at least in the southeast region.

Last edited:
I want to know how your local got people to go with this:

"Hey boys, how 'bout we take away all your seniority when you change classification?"

What did they get for this BS, Cach? C'mon, no-one would take that deal in the beginning, and now only the Me-sters are the little cheerleaders for it.

Here`s their phone number give them a call.
Teamsters Local 705
312-738-2800
1645 W. Jackson Blvd., 7th floor
Chicago, IL 60612

One last time for the challenged.

The high seniority ft driver is asked if he would like to go to feeder. It`s pointed out he can go now or he can go later but he will be under anyone who goes before him and he still takes a pass. Who does the consequences of that choice belong to? The driver that passed or the driver that said he didn`t care how crappy it would be just to get his foot in the door he is going?

I`m not going to dig to try and find your posts where you talk about jumping back and forth between feeder and package because you (thinking only of yourself. does that make you a Me-Ster?) want to go feeder because of this or back to package because of that. Weather, Peak, whatever your excuse is. Do you bump someone who finally made it to package or feeder every time you do this? Do you care? Or are you just concerned about what you can get with your "real seniority" (more Me-Ster thinking)?

If your so worried about what time someone has put into the company then lets go with Hire Date Seniority only. Years of service are years of service, period.

brett636

Boy I thought this only went on in my building now I am seeing this is a major problem with some areas. So let me get this straight, a package car driver that has been with the company for 25 years as a full time employee decide to go to feeders and a feeder driver with 15 years of full time seniority should have more seniority than the package car driver with 25 years seniority simply because the feeder driver has been in feeders longer. That is absurd. That language here in the southeast is called the Super Q and it sucks. The language alone is holding up 12 combo jobs because this individuals will not gain "feeder seniority" so thus those $55,000 plus jobs a year will not be filled for roughly 20 years because that is how long it takes in my hub to gain "feeder seniority". One because most feeder drivers make more money by being on call. Two, the super q drivers will not retire even though now they do not have a choice because of the central states debacle. That package car driver has endured 10 plus years than that 15 year package car driver and have put up with way more headaches but yet and still he has less seniority simply because he was not in feeders. That is almost like saying if a part timer that has 5 years seniority unloading decides to go to the sort aisle with a guy that has 2 years sorting does that guy with 2 years sorting have more seniority than the guy with 5 years unloading. Feeder drivers sometimes need to come to reality. Oh by the way in my region and correct me if I am wrong but in 1997 this is when UPS actually started hiring within when it came to feeders. Prior to 1997 all feeder drivers were hired off the street at least in the southeast region.

I suppose things are run a little differently there. It only takes 30 days to attain feeder seniority here, and you are only allowed to remain on call so long as your seniority is low enough to be on call. Once you have enough seniority to be the next guy on the vacation coverage board that is what you do and the same holds true for bid jobs. When it comes to those combo jobs you mentioned remember that they are a whole different ball of wax when it comes to re filling them. I was combo before feeders and my old job was never reposted. They just put two part timers back in my place. The company will pull every trick they can to not re fill them.