feeder cover board

krash

Go big orange
I was wondering what other areas have a cover board and most importantly, what cover board rules y'all have in place.

brett636

Here the feeder coverage board goes by seniority and resets @ midnight so the first few guys on the board get called in at midnight or a little afterwards, and they keep going down the list calling people as needed until they run out of work for that day or people which ever comes first. In my neck of the woods when you get called you must take the work offered even if you don't want it or its an occurrence. I hear in other areas the higher seniority person can turn down the work until a run comes available that they want to do. Also seniority goes by classification seniority meaning that if you are in feeders you have seniority over everyone who comes on after you, but some areas are different and just go by building seniority. I work at a large hub so it may be different for you if you work at a single center or small hub. Let me know if this answers your question and if you have anymore.

krash

Go big orange
Yes, that answers it. We had rules they gave us the right to pass and even had call blocks at one point. We have been trying no negotiate new rules for some time to no avail.

brett636

Yes, that answers it. We had rules they gave us the right to pass and even had call blocks at one point. We have been trying no negotiate new rules for some time to no avail.

Yea, we had no such luxury here, so the short time I was on the call board sometimes the guy ahead of me and the guy behind me would get a run going somewhere I wanted to go, but it rarely worked in my favor. Oh well, perhaps someday I will have enough seniority to bid on such a run for myself, but that is a couple of decades or more away.

QKRSTKR

Here the feeder coverage board goes by seniority and resets @ midnight so the first few guys on the board get called in at midnight or a little afterwards, and they keep going down the list calling people as needed until they run out of work for that day or people which ever comes first. In my neck of the woods when you get called you must take the work offered even if you don't want it or its an occurrence. I hear in other areas the higher seniority person can turn down the work until a run comes available that they want to do. Also seniority goes by classification seniority meaning that if you are in feeders you have seniority over everyone who comes on after you, but some areas are different and just go by building seniority. I work at a large hub so it may be different for you if you work at a single center or small hub. Let me know if this answers your question and if you have anymore.

So you are saying that if you are in feeders, and have 10 yrs senoirity, and a package drivers come into the feeder dept. with 15 years senoirity, you have more than he does?

Here I hear they let drivers pass. Suppose to be counted as infraction if you don't turn by midnight. But they don't do it from what I understand.

krash

Go big orange
Yes, here we go by "classification" seniority, not company or FT seniority.

Now we did have the right to pass when they first voted the cover board in. Now I believe if you have drivers under you, you should be able to pass instead of having to take a run you don't. Heck, the way it is now, they call you with a local run that you have to take and 15 min. later they call the guy behind you with mileage. Isn't seniority a big part of what the union is about?

So you are saying that if you are in feeders, and have 10 yrs seniority, and a package drivers come into the feeder dept. with 15 years seniority, you have more than he does?

On the feeder board, yes. We have guys on the feeder seniority board with less company and FT seniority than drivers under them, It was for various reasons. When the feeder spot came along some guys did not want to go at that time, did not have a years safe driving,never signed the bid, etc. So they went to the next guy in line. Years later the guys who passed or were not eligible came in and have feeder seniority from that date. Job bids and start times are by feeder seniority. Vacations and layoffs are by FT seniority.

over9five

Staff member
Thank God our local never sold us out for all these make believe seniority dates. We have one FT seniority date, and it doesn't change just because we change positions.

Thank God our local never sold us out for all these make believe seniority dates. We have one FT seniority date, and it doesn't change just because we change positions.

What sell out? If a guy doesn`t want to go feeder and I do then it sucks for him when he does decide to come in and "cake out" his last few years before retiring.

We didn`t sell out on our contract to were we get to go back and forth between feeder and package car on a whim just because the weather changes. :(

brett636

So you are saying that if you are in feeders, and have 10 yrs senoirity, and a package drivers come into the feeder dept. with 15 years senoirity, you have more than he does?

Here I hear they let drivers pass. Suppose to be counted as infraction if you don't turn by midnight. But they don't do it from what I understand.

I realize this has already been answered, but yes that is exactly how it works. I have some guys who came in after me into feeders who were in package car before i could legally hold a normal job, and I get first pick on bid runs and vacations over them. Conversely there are drivers ahead of me in feeder seniority who have less company time then myself because they were brought on as permanent seasonal hires, or went into package car when I preferred to stay combo and got first dibs on a feeder position when they opened up. Layoffs, though, are done by company seniority.

over9five

Staff member
What sell out? If a guy doesn`t want to go feeder and I do then it sucks for him when he does decide to come in and "cake out" his last few years before retiring.

We didn`t sell out on our contract to were we get to go back and forth between feeder and package car on a whim just because the weather changes. :(

It does suck for him because he has to compete with your fake new seniority date when he's been with the company (and a Teamster) longer.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

It does suck for him because he has to compete with your fake new seniority date when he's been with the company (and a Teamster) longer.

How is that any different than the 3 drivers (started on inside) who have worked for UPS longer than me yet have less (classificiation) seniority than me?

Did I or the company or the union prevent him from bidding, having a clean driving record, or any other excuse he had? No. He had the opportunity to exercise his seniority ahead of me but for whatever reason did not. And it`s not like it was a surprise either. The bidders know far in advance when we were moving up. When it was my place in line I did. He will get to pick better vacations and has more protection from a layoff per his ft seniority. I get to pick my start time and job based on feeder seniority.

My seniority date is not fake. It`s the date that I had the seniority to advance from package to feeder just like any one else. The day before that some one with higher seniority chose not to. Is his date of making, in my opinion, a poor choice fake? You think,what, that I should put in 16 years in feeder doing the crap start times until I worked my way up the board until I can get what I want only so someone who finally makes up his mind can just walk in and be at the top of the board? Sorry, don`t think so. And we do have some that grumble at their place on the board. And we ask them, why didn`t you come in earlier? And they all look at their shoes and make up an excuse and I haven`t heard one yet that I sympathized with. As I said, sucks for him.

brett636

Did I or the company or the union prevent him from bidding, having a clean driving record, or any other excuse he had? No. He had the opportunity to exercise his seniority ahead of me but for whatever reason did not. And it`s not like it was a surprise either. The bidders know far in advance when we were moving up. When it was my place in line I did. He will get to pick better vacations and has more protection from a layoff per his ft seniority. I get to pick my start time and job based on feeder seniority.

My seniority date is not fake. It`s the date that I had the seniority to advance from package to feeder just like any one else. The day before that some one with higher seniority chose not to. Is his date of making, in my opinion, a poor choice fake? You think,what, that I should put in 16 years in feeder doing the crap start times until I worked my way up the board until I can get what I want only so someone who finally makes up his mind can just walk in and be at the top of the board? Sorry, don`t think so. And we do have some that grumble at their place on the board. And we ask them, why didn`t you come in earlier? And they all look at their shoes and make up an excuse and I haven`t heard one yet that I sympathized with. As I said, sucks for him.

I agree with this. If I spend most of my UPS career as a feeder driver I don't see how its fair that at anytime a package car driver with more seniority can bump me out of my job when he is ready to go easy the last 2-5 years before retirement. If said driver wants to be a feeder driver right before he retires thats fine with me as long as he starts from the bottom as myself and everyone I work with has.

formymax

You just said it - "go easy". A delivery driver that busts his ass every day should have the right to "go easy" and jump in front of those who have been "going easy". A delivery driver has earned their stripes. The door swings both ways. When I hear feeder drivers complaining about senior people trying to qualify, I ask "Why don't you go back to delivery or the hub where you came from - with your seniorty you could get almost any vacation and an easier deliver route." Their reply: "Oh, no - that's way too hard.".

You just said it - "go easy". A delivery driver that busts his ass every day should have the right to "go easy" and jump in front of those who have been "going easy". A delivery driver has earned their stripes.

And how do you think we got to where we`re at? We put our time in package car and when the time came to move up we did. We didn`t whine about the crappy hours we would have to work, the longer hours to make the same pay (no bonus in feeder), the "I like my cake route and don`t want to give it up and swing", "I only ran over a insert object here so why should I be disqualified for a year?", etc.

If they keep themselves out of trouble or finally decide they want to come in to finish out their years, fine. Finish them at the bottom of the board. Or come in at first opportunity, your choice.

formymax

...and everyone has a story. People have different reasons for waiting. Some, in the end might not have a choice. How about the poor guys in the central states that have to do more years than they originally anticipated? Haven't they been penalized enough? You can't predict the future and we're all just trying to make a living. But because you chose to take the "easy way out" sooner shouldn't affect another driver's seniority. In my building, 10 drivers were hired off the street (not a day in delivery) - and they're the biggest whiners about senior drivers bumping them down. Seniority is seniorty - no exceptions. One day you'll learn to appreciate it.

...and everyone has a story. People have different reasons for waiting. Some, in the end might not have a choice. How about the poor guys in the central states that have to do more years than they originally anticipated? Haven't they been penalized enough? You can't predict the future and we're all just trying to make a living. But because you chose to take the "easy way out" sooner shouldn't affect another driver's seniority. In my building, 10 drivers were hired off the street (not a day in delivery) - and they're the biggest whiners about senior drivers bumping them down. Seniority is seniority - no exceptions. One day you'll learn to appreciate it.

I do because I was the bottom of the board in each job I had. I know what it`s like to be treated both poorly and decently by higher seniority people and I hope I have treated those under me better because of it. You keep saying the "easy way out" over and over. Remind me of that during our next blizzard won`t you.

Don`t try and fire up the harps and violins. Everyone makes their own choices and has to live by them. Didn`t make the right one? Make a better one next time.

over9five

Staff member
What's wrong with a senior man deciding to stay in Package? And what's wrong with a senior man deciding to ease out his last couple years by bidding Feeders. HE HAS MORE YEARS THAN YOU. But you have that make believe seniority date....
How many Me-sters did it take to get your local to roll on that? What did your local get out of that hogwash deal????

Ibt804Hammer

Seniority by start date should supercede that BS classification date. Feeder time? Wtf is that??????? Id be damned if a guy from the street with one year on the job will have more time than me when I go into feeder with 20+ more years than him