Forced 20 Minute Break

MassWineGuy

Well, I'm going in to the second week without taking any breaks. Not sure what I'll say when my manager asks me why, other than I wanted to avoid lates that otherwise would have occurred.

If I am threatened with being fired, then I'll do it. But I'll start 10 minutes before a closing time. "Hey, sorry. I was required to take a break."

vantexan

Well, I'm going in to the second week without taking any breaks. Not sure what I'll say when my manager asks me why, other than I wanted to avoid lates that otherwise would have occurred.

If I am threatened with being fired, then I'll do it. But I'll start 10 minutes before a closing time. "Hey, sorry. I was required to take a break."
Another good courier gone bad. Welcome to the radicalized!

dex 84

That's better than "I didn't really need a break, I took it easy all day long..."

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
Must be nice. We get late freight 3-4 days a week. And like I said, we had 3 ad hoc flights in the last 2 weeks. That meant that PT'ers and others close to the station had to finish P1s, then head back to the station for a 2nd sort and shuttle freight. Our last ad hoc flight had just under 200 pieces for the entire station.

This late freight is starting to feel like Peak 2013 all over again and it's only October!

What's going on at your ramp???

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
Aren't you a "manager" in Tennessee? Gee. which is farther away, Anchorage or Nashville? I'll give you some time to figure it out and why you have a lot of on-time freight.

Jesus H. Cristo.

Well, who said I worked in TN? (Answer: not me, but anything's possible)

We're having on-time landings because our flights depart on-time, which means that the planes are loaded and ready to go on-time. Not earlier than normal, not later than normal. On-time.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is

We're having on-time landings because our flights depart on-time, which means that the planes are loaded and ready to go on-time. Not earlier than normal, not later than normal. On-time.
So that's how they operate in Fantasyland!

dex 84

It's the world on time.

!Retired!

I notice you didn't refute my claim that FedEx is expecting most employees to just work for free through the breaks. You know, like the people who work through their "break" and then enter the stop later.
Expecting? I don't think so. I could probably count on 1 hand how many at my station MIGHT work through their breaks (I'm not sure because I don't ask). Why don't I ask? Because I seriously don't care.
Aren't you a "manager" in Tennessee? Gee. which is farther away, Anchorage or Nashville? I'll give you some time to figure it out and why you have a lot of on-time freight.

Jesus H. Cristo.
Our flights are mostly on time. Not sure what's up with the occasional ad hoc though.

MassWineGuy

My defense is that I'd either be late or need to drive above the posted speed limit to make the 20 mins up. If they want me to speed, put it in writing.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
My defense is that I'd either be late or need to drive above the posted speed limit to make the 20 mins up. If they want me to speed, put it in writing.
Good answer. Everyone needs to come to the point where they learn how to play the game. Some take longer than others and some, like oldfart, never get there.

It's like many years ago when I was so frustrated that I could never hit my numbers. A friend who was in management training asked me how I ran my route while on a check ride. He asked, do you take short cuts, take stairs when there is an elevator, etc..... Yes, I do...... In that case, you will NEVER be able to hit your numbers. You're already running it as fast as it can be done. Slow down. Take elevators. Don't walk on the grass. No short cuts.
Duh! Once he explained it, of course it made sense. Best advice anyone ever gave me at FedEx. I haven't had to worry about numbers since then.

Oldfart

I notice you didn't refute my claim that FedEx is expecting most employees to just work for free through the breaks. You know, like the people who work through their "break" and then enter the stop later.
Why would anyone work during their break? How are you entering a POD that was obtained during your break? Must be some technique I am not aware of and don't care to know. My butt is taking a full break and reading my newspaper while I relax.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
Anyone who is stupid enough to work through their break can't blame that on FedEx. That's all them.

outtatime

Why would anyone work during their break? How are you entering a POD that was obtained during your break? Must be some technique I am not aware of and don't care to know. My butt is taking a full break and reading my newspaper while I relax.
They work through their break to get finished earlier. They don't enter the POD during break, they take a pic of the label or write down the tracking number and enter it manually after break time.

He's talking about people that take pic of astra labels with their phone drop package off during break and pod packages later by scanning label. You got me on why anyone would do this especially with gps on now but MR FEDEX swears that it's happening company wide. I don't know of anyone dumb enough to do that but if they do then they deserve whatever they get.

Oldfart

They work through their break to get finished earlier. They don't enter the POD during break, they take a pic of the label or write down the tracking number and enter it manually after break time.
You short yourself money and risk losing your job. Sounds like an excellent plan to me.